Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LE85 Problem...Help Wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Ah, the ravages of time.

We take it for granted that since these older drivers were designed to last forever, that they will... and if they aren't abused they can, but some maintenance and care are required.

Congratulations!

Widget
    Thanks...I love these little tikes and a bit of work caring for them is a real pleasure. Now for some Diana Krall!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    DO NOT use a screw driver that has the removable bits!!!! The magnet can suck then out of the screw driver and into the diaphragm......
    I could of used that warning about a year ago!!!

Good to hear it was an easy and inexpensive fix.

I almost learned the hard way with the screwdriver bit. I was removing a bad diaphragm and the bit launched into the diaphragm. That was years ago and I remember it like yesterday! Just think what my memory would be if it had been the new replacement diaphragm!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    I almost learned the hard way with the screwdriver bit. I was removing a bad diaphragm and the bit launched into the diaphragm. That was years ago and I remember it like yesterday! Just think what my memory would be if it had been the new replacement diaphragm!!!!
    Years ago the retail price for a 2420 diaphragm was $40... of course my rent back then was $150.

I had to blow both of my LE85s twice before I learned my lesson... clipping a small amp was bad for driver health... I bought a big amp and never blew another driver. It took a few more years to learn to turn it down.

Widget

Years ago the retail price for a 2420 diaphragm was $40... of course my rent back then was $150.

I had to blow both of my LE85s twice before I learned my lesson... clipping a small amp was bad for driver health... I bought a big amp and never blew another driver. It took a few more years to learn to turn it down.

Widget
    Was that a transistor amp? Or, perhaps a single-ended triode amp? I run my three way horn loaded system (D130/LE85/2405H) using P-P tube monoblocks that are good for about 15 watts ((in triode mode at present...will give about 30 watts in tetrode mode) and hardly ever use more than 2-3 watts. Anything above that and the acoustic levels drive one out of the room. Perhaps things were in "party" mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf57 View Post
    Was that a transistor amp?
    The amp that claimed my diaphragms was a Kenwood KA3500... a whopping 40wpc of pure SS bliss... actually not a terrible sounding amp. It was the first piece of electronics I ever bought, as opposed to all of the gear I spirited away from my dad.

SS will clip much harder than a tube amp, and will take down HF drivers much more easily, but the fact was that I was playing music at >110dB for great periods of time back then. Not so enjoyable today.

Widget

The amp that claimed my diaphragms was a Kenwood KA3500... a whopping 40wpc of pure SS bliss... actually not a terrible sounding amp. It was the first piece of electronics I ever bought, as opposed to all of the gear I spirited away from my dad.

SS will clip much harder than a tube amp, and will take down HF drivers much more easily, but the fact was that I was playing music at >110dB for great periods of time back then. Not so enjoyable today.

Widget
    Ahh soo..all those nasty odd order harmonics that love to appear with solid state clipping. Our ears do not thank us for those levels...said he listening ruefully through the tinnitus

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf57 View Post
    ...said he listening ruefully through the tinnitus
    I've been lucky... it must be in my genes as I abused the hell out of my ears during my youth, and yet no tinnitus and I still have excellent UHF hearing. My wife who was never really exposed to much in the way of high SPLs has mild tinnitus... I know there is a correlation between high SPLs and tinnitus, but there is obviously more to it that SPLs alone.

Hey, we've drifted way off topic yet again.

Widget

I've been lucky... it must be in my genes as I abused the hell out of my ears during my youth, and yet no tinnitus and I still have excellent UHF hearing. My wife who was never really exposed to much in the way of high SPLs has mild tinnitus... I know there is a correlation between high SPLs and tinnitus, but there is obviously more to it that SPLs alone.

Hey, we've drifted way off topic yet again.

Widget
    Not really...this thread concerns diaphragm maintenance and we've been discussing this issue as it pertains to the diaphragm known as the eardrum...

Despite the tinnitus, my ears still get out to 15
    KHz...so the 2405H addition I made a while back was not for naught.

P.S. Ditto for my wife.

I've been lucky... it must be in my genes as I abused the hell out of my ears during my youth, and yet no tinnitus and I still have excellent UHF hearing.
    Widget
    Maybe we are related?

I have listened to high spl,s since about 1972 with no ill effects yet except for the bout of vertigo a few years ago after a Judis Preist concert

I have to admit to limiting my high spl sessions over the last few years because of all the posts from forum members I have read on this forum relating to their ear issues

I also can't be sure that my ear diaphragm issue is a result of high SPL's. I did not attend that many rock concerts...could simply be related to sinus canal issues. Ahh...more gap cleaning needed

I figured I'd piggyback off of an old thread instead of making a new one. Can anyone confirm if this diaphragm is genuine original for LE85 8ohm for Jbl L300?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feels good when you can do it yourself and get back to the music!!

Quote Originally Posted by script56 View Post
    I figured I'd piggyback off of an old thread instead of making a new one. Can anyone confirm if this diaphragm is genuine original for LE85 8ohm for Jbl L300?
    That looks like an original to me.
    Judging from the black foam residue stuck to the terminals I would say you need to replace the foam in the back cap.
    Be careful with the diaphragm, JBL aluminum tangential surrounds diaphragms are no longer available.

Guess I'll piggyback too. I have a pair of L200's since new and I want to inspect its LE85's as well. They sometimes sound a bit like what the op described, just a certain frequency seems off at times. How difficult is it to just pull the caps and inspect the foam condition and look for cracks in the diaphragm? Understand about using nonferrous tools. I don't have any way to test, just inspect and replace foam if dried up. These are 42 years old and I want to keep them in good condition for the next 20 or even 30 years. Maybe 30 is optimistic as I am 61 now!
    L200's biamped with 2216Nd1 LF, and 077's added

Thread Information