Thread: IMAGING: BAFFLE/DRIVER POSITION, and "The ROOM"

IMAGING: BAFFLE/DRIVER POSITION, and "The ROOM"

Hello. I have not found too much discussion on this subject, so I seek to expand my knowledge by asking the JBL experts here again.

I am interested as to whether some of those here can share any experiences dealing with the matter of the imaging characteristics of JBL medium-format Studio Monitors such as the 4410, 4410A, 4412, 4412A.

After changing from the use of two 4410's to two 4412's, which are installed in a small (8' D x 12' W x 7' H enviornment, I had felt that this newer setup was less satisfactory in imaging qualities as compared to the always excellent results I have had when using the 4410's.

BTW, this system is used for miking, mixing, & remastering chores in small but quality- oriented recording, production, etc. projects.

After finding an amplifier sufficient to provide the somewhat (or perhaps not somewhat?) increased power demands of the 4412's, the sonics of the new (to me) monitors are noticably cleaner overall and "tighter" in the lower ranges. However, until I had addressed the room-influenced factors, which I had [once again] overlooked, no tweaking of the system components would seem to help.

So far, I was able to improve the imaging by moving the speakers farther away from the wall behind, and widening the distance between them by about two feet. The point between the midrange and high freq. drivers is exactly at ear-level.

I am now considering as possible treatments: More deadening of the wall behind the monitors, and some livening of the wall behind the listening position, as is (or was) used in the LEDE, or "Live-End/Dead-End" control room designs, which emerged in about the mid-1980's. (AES).

Thanks for any thoughts you coulsd share, Rich.

4410 is vertical-in-line, and thus likely to image better than the 4412 "cluster" design.

4412 is optimized for horizontal deployment; if you're using them vertically, they'll be compromised with respect to imaging.

See the 4412 data sheet....

Thanks, "Z".

No, I had the '12's horiz. with woofers to the inside. I just tried them again, with the mid's & hi's to the inside. No dice, in this room. I'll put 'em back how they were aligned, and try the front & real wall treatments next.
    Happy New Year, Everyone!

Thread Information