Thread: Woohoo!

Woohoo!

Looks like I will be picking up an all original set of JBL L112's in the next couple of weeks.

I am hoping after sending an email to the seller last night that he is okay with me giving him a deposit and picking them up next Saturday.

This is the description in the adv.

Vintage JBL Model L112 Speakers

They make me smile everytime I play them...
    They perform beautifully on all types of music at low and high volume levels.

From the early 1980s
    -all drivers, wiring and cross-overs are original
    -mirror image driver configuration
    -rated at 300 Watts RMS
    -Woofers have had new and correct surrounds professionally installed this year
    -interior foam dust shield on the vented voice coil has been replaced as well
    -these L 112 are ready to sing for another 15 years
    -grilles are original, in very good condition and have the JBL badges intact
    -Walnut veneer cabinets in very good condition...not perfect
    -scuffs, chip on a couple of corners from moving
    -stains on tops and a couple of missing grille posts.

I hope this works out cause I am itching to join the JBL cult.

Just wanted to express my impatience and giddiness. HAHA!

Thanks
    Mike

P.S. Any warning signs or things I should look for other than the obvious.

Regis

Thumbs up

Congratulations and welcome. You will enjoy these speakers. I think a nice set of speaker stands helps out a quite a bit. My bud who has a pair was reluctant, but once he saw how they looked off've the floor and sounded (more ear level), he was quite happy with them.

Thank you. I have read that putting them on stands is the right way to go. I just hope they don't start to sound thin when I do so. I am hoping to get a bit of old skool slam with these speakers even though they are only 12's.

I understand the midrange is a bit forward with these speakers so I am a little worried about putting them through my Yamaha receiver. I have an ATI 1200(i think) that I will probably run in between so we will see how it goes.

Mike

Stands help... They get the mid/tweeter cluster closer to ear level.

Unless you have a really large listening space, I expect you will enjoy
    the bass, midrange isn't too "in your face", ... more rhyming, that
    face, it will grim-ace.

(yes... "keep your day job" )

Regis

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin11 View Post
    Thank you. I have read that putting them on stands is the right way to go. I just hope they don't start to sound thin when I do so. I am hoping to get a bit of old skool slam with these speakers even though they are only 12's.

I understand the midrange is a bit forward with these speakers so I am a little worried about putting them through my Yamaha receiver. I have an ATI 1200(i think) that I will probably run in between so we will see how it goes.

Mike
    Don't worry, I've never heard a 'thin' L-112 ! You'll be surprised at how much sound these speakers generate. Remember, these are 70's JBL's and they didn't generally mix music and movies with the extra-deep level of bass that they do nowdays. The bass is plentiful, not to worry there, but if you want to go really low, you may want to add a good audio quality subwoofer with an adjustable volume and crossover response. With not much trouble, you can set up the sub to blend seamlessly with the JBL L-112's and you'll be plenty happy with the results.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ170708261

Here they are I pick them up Saturday or Sunday.

Haven't been this excited in a long time.
    Now I have to figure out how I am going to ship them across Canada when I move in January.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images    

So I picked these babies up a couple weeks ago.
    I can say that I am extremely happy with them so far.

I think the mid and high suit my tastes perfectly which is what I was originally afraid of.

I am pleasantly surprised at the build quality of these and other than maybe adding a window brace for the woofer I think they are well built enough not too touch them.

Very happy with the quality and look of the x-overs. I truthfully was expecting a simple cap and resistor or 2, but they seem to look like they are well put together.

I do have a question though. I get static if I turn one of the mid levels. How the heck do I take this apart as I don't see any screws. I would hate to guess that the badge has to come off and they are under there. Or even worse I have to get my huge bear paws inside the cabinet somehow and do this blind as you an't really see up that high. Also how does the tweeter come out?

Thanks
    Mike

P.S. trying to fight the urge to play with what seems to be a great speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin11 View Post

I do have a question though. I get static if I turn one of the mid levels. How the heck do I take this apart as I don't see any screws. I would hate to guess that the badge has to come off and they are under there. Or even worse I have to get my huge bear paws inside the cabinet somehow and do this blind as you an't really see up that high. Also how does the tweeter come out?
    The foilcal does have to come off to get the L-pad assembly out. Many folks get relief from the L-pad noise just by spinning the pot back and forth a bunch of times. Heat and careful prying with a drywall blade will remove the foilcal.

The 044 comes out the back of the baffle, so the woofer has to come out first. Just pull the screws and pop it out the back.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    The foilcal does have to come off to get the L-pad assembly out. Many folks get relief from the L-pad noise just by spinning the pot back and forth a bunch of times. Heat and careful prying with a drywall blade will remove the foilcal.

The 044 comes out the back of the baffle, so the woofer has to come out first. Just pull the screws and pop it out the back.

Thank you rdgrimes.

Mike

If you use a small can with a nozzle tube on it, you can go up from the rear side of the level controls and spray Deoxit in the vents on the back of the control pots. Works better than anything aside from a complete removal which is a PITA due to the foilcals.

John

Foilcals

The best metod I found for removing the foilcals are a heat gun and dental floss (a tip I picked up in this forum). Heat the foilcals carefully from the top, try the floss and only heat more when the floss is stuck. Carefull or you can melt the edges of the contols. Using this method carefully, you can remove the foilcals without a single crease or wrinkle. Your fingers will hurt a bit from pulling the floss, but you will be happy with the results.

Ozzie Fior

Thread Information