Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL 2225 J or H

It seems to me running woofers in parallel is common practice. I've driven my biamped WTW 1400nd's in parallel and also with each having its own channel of a solid state power amp, (your worst case scenario?), and I don't hear much difference if any, which I attribute to slightly greater distortion at lower impedance, until the amplifier is overtaxed. I don't recall JBL ever issuing a technical note advising against paralleling 2226's or any of its other woofers. Is there one? Although in Option C the wiring schemes for the M9500 does allow for powering each woofer with its own amp. But I should think that was a way of getting adequate power to the woofers. They do take a bit of juice.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    It seems to me running woofers in parallel is common practice. I've driven my biamped WTW 1400nd's in parallel and also with each having its own channel of a solid state power amp, (your worst case scenario?), and I don't hear much difference if any, which I attribute to slightly greater distortion at lower impedance, until the amplifier is overtaxed. I don't recall JBL ever issuing a technical note advising against paralleling 2226's or any of its other woofers. Is there one? Although in Option C the wiring schemes for the M9500 does allow for powering each woofer with its own amp. But I should think that was a way of getting adequate power to the woofers. They do take a bit of juice.
    I'm not sure if you're replying to somebody specific since you don't use quotes.

If it's to me then, yes, running woofers in parallel is very common practice and there's no technical note from JBL against it.

Either way I fail to see your point so I will answer with the same as in your first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    . . . .Either way I fail to see your point . . . .
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by rooferben View Post
    COSMOS, you got it. I will drive the two 15's that are in one 815a cab with a 75 watt mono tube amp. The amp has 8 and 16 ohm. taps. Can you please explain to me the differants between ( in parallel ) and ( in series ).
    Ben,

In your box, I think you'll see a yellow and a green wire... Hooking the drivers in Parallel means to hook the red terminal of both drivers to the same color wire and both black terminals of both drivers to the opposite color wire.

Conversely, if you wanted to hook them in series, you would hook one color wire to the red terminal of the first driver, use another wire (not already in the box) to connect the black terminal of the first driver to the red terminal of the second driver and the opposite color wire in the box to the black terminal on the second driver.

Personally, I would choose 16 ohm drivers and hook them in parallel. This would create a nominal 8 ohm load. You would connect each cabinet to the appropriate amplifier's 8 ohm tap... If you have a volt/ohmeter, you can check the resultant resistance prior to hooking it up to the amp...

Parallel IS OKAY

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Hi Speakerdave,

running the speakers in parallel is okay, running them in series is not okay, that was the statement.

Ruediger

I brought in another amp and now have a channel of amplification for each woofer. The sound seems cleaner, more full, tighter. Possibly the reason is that a pair of 1400nd's, with the resistors parallel to lower the resonance impedance rise, drop below 4 ohms in part of its range. Anyway, the sound is better even at low spl.

Thread Information