Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I’m not keen on IMAX I didn’t like 70mm IMAX 3D it had technical issues.

(If you move your head)
    Up and down the image stays intact as 3D
    If you turn your head side to side the image stays intact as 3D
    If you role your head to left and right of your shoulder the image then becomes undone as IMAX 70mm 3D!

Now what I noticed with Dolby3D since I haven’t seen a 3D film in many years, not since the IMAX in Bournemouth got boot out of town!

I tried the above (If you move your head) the image stayed intact on all angles I even went as far as nearly doing a headstand to see if it stays intact as 3D because that is how it is in the real world.

The frame on the glasses was the next issue!

I could see it due to (peripheral vision).

If the frame was larger and came around the eyes a bit further so that all you see or notice is the filter for left and right eye.

Contact lens would be neat but someone I doubt we’d be doing that also I don’t think I’d won’t to ware your contact lens. Nothing personally, thou

Our lenses were just yellow plastic frames with a "greyed" insert material. There was no attempt to block peripheral vision.

I tried the head tilt/roll and found that I could tilt my head considerably further than I could with the old polarized glasses before loosing effect. A typical head tilt was acceptable, whereas it is not acceptable with my polarized 3-D videos.

The best 3-D I've seen was with the IMAX LCD shutter glasses that alternately close the left then right eye in sync with the movie. The 3-D was very immersive and head postion had no effect at all. But they stopped that years ago.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The Dolby 3-D glasses at the theater I went to were not like those in your photo above. The lenses were dichroic and the frames had shields on the sides to eliminate peripheral vision.

Widget
    I took a picture of the Dolby 3D glasses after I saw “Toy Story” 3D at the Empire October 2nd 2009.

The lens are colour filtered I think it was (green) and pink or that is how the tint of the red looked when holding it up to bright light it had (red-sih pinkish) colour.

Those (RealD) 3D glasses is some kind of polarised filter that is equal on both sides of the eye. They look cool warring them in the home. Kinder like soft room ambiance sunglass thou I don’t recommend you use these as outdoor sunglass.

Also I just remembered the cheaper IMAX 3D glasses for 70mm IMAX 3D are similar in the way that the filters are slightly grey light shade.

I wonder if RealD has the same issues when moving the head around.

3-D dark? I have to admit, Avatar is the first contemporary 3-D film I have seen... it was not dark in the least where I saw it. The presentation I saw was bright and quite captivating.

Widget

Agreed that Avatar was brighter than most, and totally acceptable.

However, we would like to see it on a plain old big screen to get an idea of how much brighter and more vibrant the colors can be. When you strap a couple filter on your eyes, you are bound to loose something in the areas of brightness and color rendition.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Our lenses were just yellow plastic frames with a "greyed" insert material. There was no attempt to block peripheral vision.

I tried the head tilt/roll and found that I could tilt my head considerably further than I could with the old polarized glasses before loosing effect. A typical head tilt was acceptable, whereas it is not acceptable with my polarized 3-D videos.

The best 3-D I've seen was with the IMAX LCD shutter glasses that alternately close the left then right eye in sync with the movie. The 3-D was very immersive and head postion had no effect at all. But they stopped that years ago.
    Also the other downside to cinema 3D is the light level drops by so much %!

They are all in someway filtered just like sunglass filter light down for our eyes in bright sunlight.

I think cinema 3D has to go further because I feel cheated when watching 3D, its not as bad as those red and blue filter cardboard 3D glasses. Now those give you pain!

I can’t believe a few 3D films are popping up on DVD/bluray with those yuck of waste for glasses!

You can buy those shutter 3D glasses for home use. I have lame IMAX 3D film on DVD Haunted Castle that I also saw in IMAX 70mm 3D.

The home version just doesn’t work at all for DVD. The resolution for the end credits has these bubbles floating around on screen with the credits interested into the bubbles.

You can’t see them for sh!t on DVD even on large video projector! Also the colour is all wrong it dreadful looking!

I wouldn’t touch any DVD/Bluray with red and blue 3D glasses I’d wait until the can find away to get the newer 3D onto the format.

Cameron could have least placed holograph “Avatars” running around the cinema. Now I’ve seen this at Disney World Florida, February 1981 in Haunted House and it looked very, most impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I wouldn’t touch any DVD/Bluray with red and blue 3D glasses I’d wait until the can find away to get the newer 3D onto the format.
    Just take a hit of acid before watching the movie. You will not need to wear the glasses and indeed you may not even need to watch a movie at all to get the same effect.

Allan.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Just take a hit of acid before watching the movie. You will not need to wear the glasses and indeed you may not even need to watch a movie at all to get the same effect.

Allan.

Yeah like 2001: A Spaced Out Odyssey. I read that some were doing that back in 1968.

Yeah I think with those “Avatars” running out of the screen at you, after dropping acid, it would cause a panic attack in the cinema.

I just see it. Someone being wheeled out on stretcher while film is stopped and the patron yelling there coming there coming the Avatars are coming there all-around me!

And blanked face audience saying WTF! sounds like he’s on drugs.

JBL 4645
    The RealD glasses are lightweight over the Dolby 3D glasses.

Yeah that’s the ones I wore at the Bournemouth Sheridan IMAX

I guess these are for seniors that need large frames! They look totally ridiculous if you ask me.

JBL 4645

I think these are the electronic shutter IMAX 3D glasses from the size of them. No way will I stick that on my head.

These are pretty much what our IMAX uses, but in yellow plastic. The oversized glasses are a definate advantage to those of us who wear glasses.

For those interested in such things... except for the stainless steel railings, light fixtures, and projection room window, every inch of every surface was covered in fabric... the walls and ceiling were all covered in acoustic fabric and quite amply padded.
    That's a standard sort of treatment for cinemas. They are unique listening rooms as the room shouldn't add it's own acoustic signature. You can only get away with this because all the spatial audio cues are in the film soundtrack surround sound channels (soundtracks are mixed in very "dead" rooms as well).

Playing a basic 2-channel stereo mix in a cinema is a very "dry" experience and not very pleasant for long term listening

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    That's a standard sort of treatment for cinemas.
    I mentioned it because that has not been my experience. Most theaters that I visit have a degree of sound control... some of the modern ones even have wooden diffusers, but none have padded ceilings and few have all of the walls completely deadened. Many of my favorite theaters were built in the 30's and are built with art deco, Egyptian, or grand palatial themes, with little decorative balconies, sculpted columns, massive chandeliers, and other reflective items along with ample heavy drapes to balance the sound.

As for 2-channel, I agree, however I do prefer rooms that are on the more controlled side. My last room had heavy drapes on the front and side walls.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images    

OK, for those who saw the film.

Who else noticed the blatent discontinuity in the Avatars (and what was it) that was prevelent throughout the movie? A hint, it is "digital."

OK, for those who saw the film.

Who else noticed the blatent discontinuity in the Avatars (and what was it) that was prevelent throughout the movie? A hint, it is "digital."
    Yup. This is what happens when your CG budget is $18.57. Dont use Weta Workshop for your special effects. All of thier work has the same look. It is probably not even on the same level as ILM's efforts on the T1000 in T2!

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Yup. This is what happens when your CG budget is $18.57. Dont use Weta Workshop for your special effects. All of thier work has the same look. It is probably not even on the same level as ILM's efforts on the T1000 in T2!

Allan.

No, not what I was referring to. Has nothing to do with the computer graphics per se.

BTW, for those that haven't seen the movie, this "discontinuity" is evident in the trailers too if you know to look for it.

No, not what I was referring to. Has nothing to do with the computer graphics per se.

BTW, for those that haven't seen the movie, this "discontinuity" is evident in the trailers too if you know to look for it.

OK, for the less astute, it shows in this trailer at 1:30 and 2:00 (though I've no idea why they did it at 1:30 when there wasn't the need):
    http://www.avatarmovie.com/index.html

And on this trailer at 1:02 as well as lots of other places:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZUeF...embedded#at=63

As I noted, it is "digital."

Thread Information