Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar

I saw it last night in 3D.

Most good stories have similar things about them, The hero, the heron, going up against impossible odds.
    This movie had all of them and then some. In this movie we are the bad guys, trying to steel another peoples world.
    Over the years there are a few movies that took me to another place. In 1955 it was Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, then it was Star Wars and now Avatar. Yes, the plot was some what predictable, through the 3D and computer animation I felt that I had been transported to another world. In the beginning of the movie when the reason for this whole thing is they are after unobtanium I laughed, I guess they needed some reason for this whole thing. Imagine what it would sound like with unobtanium speaker cables.
    Even though the sound is good, the visual is the focus of this movie, most of the movie takes place in the jungle.
    I will see the movie again and take the grand kids, also will get the BR DVD.

JBL 4645
    I’m listening to the James Horner newest score "Avatar" (2009) score on youtube in Dolby stereo JBL wow not a bad score with a few, Aliens, Star Trek II he Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III The Search for Spock, Willow, Clear and Present Danger, Titanic, Braveheart, Beautiful Mind, Troy, and The Prefect Storm, popping up now then, shall I go on? But hey I like it!

I have an ear for remembering these little details. Then again it’s James Horner’s musical signature style.

I’m not sure if this James Horner’s second longest score for film. "Titanic" (1997) clocked in at 3 hours and "Avatar" I think its 170 minutes?

Hello 4645

Did it have in the way of any wild, wild dialogue panning or was it mostly centre channel with few off-screen voices?
    Not that I remember. As a matter of fact the way they did the surrounds while in the forrest was great. You had a you are there from the 3D coupled with an enveloping soundstage that put you there as well. Combining the two was a great effect. Can't wait to get a copy at home for a listen there. Probably go see it again before it leaves the theaters.

Was the sub bass noticeable or well blended so that you don’t notice it sticking out like sore thumb?
    It was very well done. I went to a new THX Stadium Seating theater with a JBL speaker system. Sat right smack in the middle so I would guess I was in the "spot". It was there when it was supposed to be and fit the scale of the action. I don't know what it was presented in as far a DD or DTS and franky it didn't matter. What ever it was it was damn good. The 3D Glasses are recycled where I was. You didn't pay for them they just went back into the bins to be cleaned and reused. Movies are expensive in England. I think I paid $13 a ticket which is expensive here.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello 4645

Not that I remember. As a matter of fact the way they did the surrounds while in the forrest was great. You had a you are there from the 3D coupled with an enveloping soundstage that put you there as well. Combining the two was a great effect. Can't wait to get a copy at home for a listen there. Probably go see it again before it leaves the theaters.

It was very well done. I went to a new THX Stadium Seating theater with a JBL speaker system. Sat right smack in the middle so I would guess I was in the "spot". It was there when it was supposed to be and fit the scale of the action. I don't know what it was presented in as far a DD or DTS and franky it didn't matter. What ever it was it was damn good. The 3D Glasses are recycled where I was. You didn't pay for them they just went back into the bins to be cleaned and reused. Movies are expensive in England. I think I paid $13 a ticket which is expensive here.

Rob
    Rob

Evening there

$13.00 sounds like you got JBL THX deal! That would be like around £6.00 for augment sakes over here.

Sounds like you really enjoyed it as art form of science fiction.

Any pictures of this THX cinema you should ask the manager nicely with sugar on top if you can do review of it. Get the projectionist to show you, around and have peak behind that THX baffle wall.

I’m really digging this James Horner, score here at the moment.
    I’m going to buy the CD next week.

Where the glasses Dolby3D or RealD as there’s two type of digital commercial digital 3D systems for cinema.

Sooty demonstrates RealD 3D glasses.

JBL 4645
    I’m going to give “Avatar” a second listen tonight and put it though the spectrumlab to see how low the sub bass goes.

Sooty also digs “Avatar”. He gives it 5 paws seal of JBL approval!

Wow the score gets better and, better and I like choir voices in it! This now is getting operatic!

Attached Images Attached Images  

We went to small theater.

Only paid $8 (senior discount) including the glasses. I'll wait until it gets to the Tivoli in Downers Grove IL. The Tivoli was built in 1927 has been completely restored and updated with the latest projection and sound system. I'll ask what speakers they are using, I asked about 15 years ago and they said Klipsch.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    Only paid $8 (senior discount) including the glasses. I'll wait until it gets to the Tivoli in Downers Grove IL. The Tivoli was built in 1927 has been completely restored and updated with the latest projection and sound system. I'll ask what speakers they are using, I asked about 15 years ago and they said Klipsch.
    Yeah that will be nice. Start a new thread on it, should be interesting.

We paid $12.00 each here in Austin, Tx, and also they recycle the 3D glasses. I had the Real 3D glasses, same as Sooty is wearing.

I read a few reviews from people who saw Avatar in Imax 3D, they say it was spectacular, both audio and visual. When I get back to NY, I might see Avatar again in Manhattans Imax theater.
    scottyj

JBL 4645
    scott
    Sounds like you got a deal with that ticket price!

Well Avatar is in screen 6 at Empire Tower Park, but I’m not sure, I’m just not sure. The last film I saw in screen 6 was I, Robot and the sound was okay just lacked the wicked kick the Empire Leicester square gives you!

http://www.empirecinemas.co.uk/index.php?page=nowshowing&tbx_site_id=34

No I’m waiting for the Bluray. although I heard they had refit early this costing around £1.5 2.5 million?

What I think they might have done is installed new seating digital projectors next to the Cinemeccanica Vic V replaced some of the existing Dolby processors installed some new amps and the odd few extra subs in the remaining screens.

One time I had quick peek under the masking in one of the smaller screens I think it was screen 4. It had a x1 JBL 4645B I think they still had EV LCR fronts the surrounds weren’t JBL.

No, not worth going they’ve never really played it truly loud there even when I was projectionist there around late 1989. Then again they never had sub bass extension for Dolby A/SR optical tracks and never even bothered to install subs when dts was installed for Jurassic Park, not till around late 1990’s I guess.

Not worth spending my money there. Not for all the tea in China.

I’m truly pissed off its not playing at the Empire Leicester Square!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Rob

$13.00 sounds like you got JBL THX deal! That would be like around £6.00 for augment sakes over here.

Where the glasses Dolby3D or RealD as there’s two type of digital commercial digital 3D systems for cinema.

We paid $16 each with an on-line premium to gaurantee seats when we got there.

Over here, they advertise three forms of 3-D; Digital 3-D, Real 3-D, and IMAX 3-D. We saw the IMAX 3-D.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    We saw the IMAX 3-D.
    I have been disappointed by IMAX presentations of most theatrical films as they seem a bit dark and the horizontal pans can look bad due to stobing due to too low of a frame rate.

I believe Avatar was released in a special IMAX 3D version which should take care of the brightness issue, but I wonder about the frame rate... I doubt they re-rendered it in the required 48 fps. Did you notice any strobing in fast pans?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I have been disappointed by IMAX presentations of most theatrical films as they seem a bit dark and the horizontal pans can look bad due to stobing due to too low of a frame rate.

I believe Avatar was released in a special IMAX 3D version which should take care of the brightness issue, but I wonder about the frame rate... I doubt they re-rendered it in the required 48 fps. Did you notice any strobing in fast pans?

Widget
    No, not off-hand or that stood out in my mind. All of the 3-D movies seem a little dark to me, at least in part due to the glasses.

JBL 4645
    We paid $16 each with an on-line premium to gaurantee seats when we got there.

Over here, they advertise three forms of 3-D; Digital 3-D, Real 3-D, and IMAX 3-D. We saw the IMAX 3-D.
    I’m not keen on IMAX I didn’t like 70mm IMAX 3D it had technical issues.

(If you move your head)
    Up and down the image stays intact as 3D
    If you turn your head side to side the image stays intact as 3D
    If you role your head to left and right of your shoulder the image then becomes undone as IMAX 70mm 3D!

Now what I noticed with Dolby3D since I haven’t seen a 3D film in many years, not since the IMAX in Bournemouth got boot out of town!

I tried the above (If you move your head) the image stayed intact on all angles I even went as far as nearly doing a headstand to see if it stays intact as 3D because that is how it is in the real world.

The frame on the glasses was the next issue!

I could see it due to (peripheral vision).

If the frame was larger and came around the eyes a bit further so that all you see or notice is the filter for left and right eye.

Contact lens would be neat but someone I doubt we’d be doing that also I don’t think I’d won’t to ware your contact lens. Nothing personally, thou

No, not off-hand or that stood out in my mind. All of the 3-D movies seem a little dark to me, at least in part due to the glasses.
    The strobing issue may be something that affects different viewers differently... I find it quite distracting.

3-D dark? I have to admit, Avatar is the first contemporary 3-D film I have seen... it was not dark in the least where I saw it. The presentation I saw was bright and quite captivating.

The problem with IMAX presentations of theatrical films is that the prints that the IMAX theaters get are not blown up to the full IMAX frame size so they are simply blowing up a much larger image from a standard film... quality suffers. I suppose this is a subjective point though... many people are wowed by the size and that is more important to them.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I could see it due to (peripheral vision).
    The Dolby 3-D glasses at the theater I went to were not like those in your photo above. The lenses were dichroic and the frames had shields on the sides to eliminate peripheral vision.

Widget

Thread Information