Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
    Oh, and I would love to spend the money for some better 3D glasses if this caught on. I know I am missing something with the cheapies they give you (in terms of comfort and performance.

When the Irvine Spectrum IMAX first opened, they gave you LCD shutter glasses that would alternately close over the left, then right eye, and were wirelessly, in-sync to the movie. These glasses also had built-in speakers, but they went unused with the 12,000 Watt JBL sound system. (I know that 12,000 watts seems small in an IMAX, but that is what they say in the initial orientation.)

Anyway, those lasted for one movie that I saw (an underseas documentary) never to be seen again in favor of the cheap, plastic, polarized glasses. Those LCD shutters provided a more spectacular 3-D interpretation, but were obviously heavier.

BTW, some of the new TOTL television sets (Mitsubishi for one), now makes their sets 3-D compatible, meaning that you only need the right player, software, and glasses to go with the set.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    --open with a camera journey along a long space ship (Star Wars?)
    I believe every such shot must be derivative of the first shot of the Discovery One in 2001. That movie had so many firsts and best-evers that I can't even think of most of them. The other SciFi that broke a lot of technical ground that comes to mind is Tron. Me, I'll still take Forbidden Planet over both of them. Hardly the only film based on Shakespeare's The Tempest, but my favorite of them.

Maybe the ground breaking technique in 2001 that is not copied nearly enough is forgoing cheesy Disney dialog for almost no dialog. Speaking of sound, the most thunderous bass I ever heard at the movies was when HAL, in 2010, told the crew how nice it had been working with them and then quietly said, "Ignition. Full thrust." What followed made me feel like I was on board.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Skywalker Sound__ in more than 10 Acadamy Award Winning Films with "MIT-Interface"

[Quote = Stéphane RAME ;273633 Link to http://www.skysound.com/...]
    -------------------------------------
    Thank you kindly, Stéphane RAME, for the Link; if you enjoyed the Magnificient Skywalker Sound, you must see how they did it in:
    MITat theMOVIES @http://www.mitcables.co.nz/pdf/mit_movies.pdf

Then Google: "MIT.com" & explore Bruce Brisson's numerous,patent exerpts which explain all the MIT technology and the complete professional quality product items available at $100 more or less.
    ---------------------------------
    Cheers, Herki the cat
    Last edited by herki the cat; 12-28-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: to change:Google:"Musical Interface Technologies"to read:"Google:"MIT.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I took my son to see it today and it was great fun. The 3D is simply amazing you feel like you are in the forest on Pandora. It's a bit predictable but other than that if you are a Sci-Fi fan just go with it. The alien world is just beautiful, reminded me of alien worlds drawn but Roger Dean.

Rob
    I went last night to see Avatar. The cinematography was amazing. The 3D images were very open, and panoramic. I also thought the 3d was amazing. But I thought the story was a smidge weak, and at 2hr, 45min, just a bit long.

The soundtrack, now, that is a fantastic soundtrack, and I bought that today. James Horner's music is wonderful. Climbing Up To Iknimaya- The Path To Heaven, and Jakes First Flight, are my two favorite musical pieces from the soundtrack.

I recommend buying the Avatar soundtrack even if you don't see the movie.

Now I'm waiting for The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus to open in theaters.
    scottyj

JBL 4645
    [quote=herki the cat;273880]Stéphane
    Quote Originally Posted by stephane RAME View Post
    Link to http://www.skysound.com/... if you enjoyed the Magnificient Skywalker sound, you must see how they did it in:
    MITat theMOVIES @http://www.mitcables.co.nz/pdf/mit_movies.pdf

Then Google: " Musical Interface Technology" & explore Bruce Brisson's numerous patents which explain all the MIT technology and the complete professional quality product items available at $100 more or less.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Cheers, Herki the cat
    Thanks for the link I always wondered what the screen layout was like in their THX stag cinema. That is rare image of the five-screen and sub bass arrays.

x8 subs I count thou I wouldn’t be surprised if there are two more of the far end of the screen making it x10 thou I’d go with x8.

Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I went last night to see Avatar. The cinematography was amazing. The 3D images were very open, and panoramic. I also thought the 3d was amazing. But I thought the story was a smidge weak, and at 2hr, 45min, just a bit long.

The soundtrack, now, that is a fantastic soundtrack, and I bought that today. James Horner's music is wonderful. Climbing Up To Iknimaya- The Path To Heaven, and Jakes First Flight, are my two favorite musical pieces from the soundtrack.

I recommend buying the Avatar soundtrack even if you don't see the movie.

Now I'm waiting for The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus to open in theaters.
    But what of the film mix, what was it like?

Did it have in the way of any wild, wild dialogue panning or was it mostly centre channel with few off-screen voices?

What were the split-surrounds’ like did they also help to involve you in the action?

Was the sub bass noticeable or well blended so that you don’t notice it sticking out like sore thumb?

Was it presented in
    Dolby
    dts
    SDDS8

And the most important question? Was the cinema a JBL installation?

Was it a THX cinema and what of the pictures as well of the cinema after the show and few quickies of the cinema then peg it out the exit before the usher beats you with her broomstick!

I’ll have a look around youtube see if anyone has upload the new James Horner Avatar score.

No way, the finest Bose installation money can buy! Those 5" subs hit you pretty hard

JBL 4645
    No way, the finest Bose installation money can buy! Those 5" subs hit you pretty hard
    My cat will piss all over Bose!

Now go and wash your mouth out with anti-Bose washing up liquid.

Interesting that Lucasfilm come all the way to New Zealand to purchase thier interconnects......

Allan.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Interesting that Lucasfilm come all the way to New Zealand to purchase thier interconnects......

Allan.
    Sounds like they’ll go to any length to travel the Earth and test cables to get THX certified.

“Glory” (1989) was on that list so I wonder what cables Glory used? Then again that was mixed at Soundelux.

Fun fact while we are talking about cats (AND it is JBL-related!)

My cat had a thing for going inside my 4648A-8...not with the woofers removed, but right through the ports! Scared the hell out of me (first time it happened, I saw him coming OUT!). Now, the ports are closed for feline ingress.

JBL 4645
    Fun fact while we are talking about cats (AND it is JBL-related!)

My cat had a thing for going inside my 4648A-8...not with the woofers removed, but right through the ports! Scared the hell out of me (first time it happened, I saw him coming OUT!). Now, the ports are closed for feline ingress.
    Yeah I shall say so otherwise if he hears a sound he doesn’t like he might be tempted start spraying!

My cat, Sooty, as also done that when he was kitten and did it several times, pain in the ass first time, I had to remove the 18” sub driver. Today, he still tries to stick his head in the port but if the head won’t fit the body won’t ether.

Cats have frequency response 40Hz to 90KHz. A cat would listening out for high pitched squeak that of a mouse?

[quote=JBL 4645;273891]
    Quote Originally Posted by herki the cat View Post
    Stéphane

Thanks for the link I always wondered what the screen layout was like in their THX stag cinema. That is rare image of the five-screen and sub bass arrays.

x8 subs I count thou I wouldn’t be surprised if there are two more of the far end of the screen making it x10 thou I’d go with x8.

I think you missed the 2 behind the ladder. They have 31Kw, 5 screen channels, 10 subs and a couple of dozen surrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    But what of the film mix, what was it like?

Did it have in the way of any wild, wild dialogue panning or was it mostly centre channel with few off-screen voices?

What were the split-surrounds’ like did they also help to involve you in the action?

Was the sub bass noticeable or well blended so that you don’t notice it sticking out like sore thumb?

Was it presented in
    Dolby
    dts
    SDDS8

And the most important question? Was the cinema a JBL installation?

Was it a THX cinema and what of the pictures as well of the cinema after the show and few quickies of the cinema then peg it out the exit before the usher beats you with her broomstick!

I’ll have a look around youtube see if anyone has upload the new James Horner Avatar score.

The sound at the theater I saw Avatar at was dolby, and NOT spectacular, IMO, others may feel differently. One thing I thought in particular, was the soundtrack was not very upfront, and sort of background when it should have been predominant. BUT, I had heard the soundtrack a week earlier, listening to some gadgets at the Apple store, and, that is what prompted me to go and see the movie.

Over a nice listening system, the Avatar soundtrack is incredible.
    scottyj

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    The sound at the theater I saw Avatar at was dolby, and NOT spectacular. IMO, others may feel differently. One thing I thought in particular, was the soundtrack was not very upfront, and sort of background when it should have been predominant. BUT, I had heard the soundtrack a week earlier, listening to some gadgets at the Apple store, and, that is what prompted me to go and see the movie.

Over a nice listening system, the Avatar soundtrack is incredible.
    Well I’ll wait to the Bluray hits the stores around summertime 2010 I guess?

The local cinemas I wouldn’t even bother with and you know my feelings about the Odeon LS screen6, no way in hell am I paying up front to £13.50 maybe £15.00 pounds with 3D glasses.

I’m real pissed off the Empire, didn’t get this booked in for exclusive 56KW THX Dolby3D.

To me the concept of 3D is
    Forwards and backwards
    Side to side
    Up and down

3D films can’t go away where expect up on screen and only show depth of field to the image.

The sound kinder goes in 3D it can go
    Forwards and backwards
    Side to side
    Up and down

No wait they do have height surround that was only exhibited once in the cinema, We Where Soldiers.

What’s needed now is bottom blow surround so sound can swoop underneath the seating.

I would have thought Cameron can at least force Skywalker Sound to come up with something more original in sound.

It’s the 21st century!

The basic common three screen has been around since 1940 “Fantasia”. Five screen since the 1960’s the surround array hasn’t really evolved that much ether, apart from split-surrounds to later matrix surround EX.

I might install my own underneath surround if I had wooden floor which I don’t have. Stick them flush into the floor with reinforced metal grills.

No drinking allowed because liquid will cow the speakers up if spilled.
    Now you might ask how will bottom underneath surround work?

It should be effective in flying scenes outer space or underwater or even rain effects as rain only sounds when it lands on the surface or the first rain drop lands on the heights object then sounds but that would be milliseconds…

So a remix of “Top Gun” with F-14 flying around and swooping off screen to centre rear then roaring pitching downwards to the underneath surrounds then taking a sharp turn into the sidewall surrounds and back on screen again.

Thread Information