Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Avatar

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Hi Heather, I was really just pointing out the fact that movies these days get hyped to the max and blown completely out of proportion. In 12 months no one will even remeber Avatar or indeed any other movie that has come out in the last 12 months. The movie studio's need to get back to making movies that actually mean something. Remember that little movie from the 70's called Star Wars? Now that is a movie that made an impact. Avatar, along with most of Peter Jacksons movies acyually sucked and blew at the same time. Todays movie makers all bar a couple, have totally lost their direction.

Allan.
    I strongly agree it was on my subconscious mind from the start.
    “Avatar” is slowly warring off on me and its only been about 5 weeks since I had bluray/DVD combo.

I hardly watch “The Lord of the Rings” anymore including King Too Long Kong!
    I’d sooner watch the original or the remake. The son of the remake, the soundtrack was just low end predictable, but it times it was exciting with sound effect pans moving from fronts to sidewall surrounds and around.

At least Peter Jackson has laid of the, sugar coated doughnuts!
    Well done on losing weight!

JBL 4645
    Regarding our theatres down here Ash, Star Wars was shown on the old Cinerama screen way back in the day. That theatre had a huge screen and a great sound system. Unfortunately it was removed many years ago. Most theatres today are just a square box with a screen and some seats. No real theatre experience to be had anymore.

Allan.
    Wow what better place to see it on an old Cinerama deep curved screen even if the whole size of the screen isn’t used up as Cinerama was a (three stripe film) projection process that filled the entire screen. Regular 35mm will only fill a portion of its size still it looks impressive.

Square cinemas just like our living rooms WTF! No chactutre on style just something fast and simplistic is what they want today, same goes with the film there in the largest screen for 2 weeks at best and then shoved into the smaller screen. Okay I guess “Avatar” might have been booked in a large screen for 6 to 7 weeks.

I was going to say a few other things but, decided not to bother. This whole thing of digital cinema is just depressing me. It won’t be long before projectionists are no longer needed “wave to the future” fuck the future! It’s the lost art in cinema projection. Digital projection is lazy ass means today.

Projectionists are slowly turning into drones programmed by the company to act and perform like robots pushing buttons. In the old days it was a hands on thing it seemed real, today it seems synthetic.

Hi Heather, I was really just pointing out the fact that movies these days get hyped to the max and blown completely out of proportion. In 12 months no one will even remeber Avatar or indeed any other movie that has come out in the last 12 months. The movie studio's need to get back to making movies that actually mean something. Remember that little movie from the 70's called Star Wars? Now that is a movie that made an impact. Avatar, along with most of Peter Jacksons movies acyually sucked and blew at the same time. Todays movie makers all bar a couple, have totally lost their direction.

Allan.
    Disagree completely. Star Wars? Give me a break.

I'm not one to buy in the hype (I usually wait a few months before watching it or buying it on Blu-ray), but Avatar completely blew me away. I expected a technological crap-fest but left feeling much more. So what it doesn't have a necessarily strong plot? I left feeling great. Isn't that the whole point of movies?

...and for sure, movies like The Dark Knight still have their impact today. (FYI, it was released over a year ago...)

JBL 4645
    ^^^Well maybe you didn’t drop enough acid to get into "Avatar".

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Disagree completely. Star Wars? Give me a break.

I'm not one to buy in the hype (I usually wait a few months before watching it or buying it on Blu-ray), but Avatar completely blew me away. I expected a technological crap-fest but left feeling much more. So what it doesn't have a necessarily strong plot? I left feeling great. Isn't that the whole point of movies?

...and for sure, movies like The Dark Knight still have their impact today. (FYI, it was released over a year ago...)
    You dont get my point. They spent millions of dollars promotong Avatar and pre convincing people that thye would like it. There was nothing in Avatar that had any wow factor. The storyline was lame and the cinematography was lame beyond belief. In another 12 months the whole world will have forgotten about it. 35 years after the fact, people are still talking about the original Star Wars and the murchandising from the movie is still selling hand over fist. Star wars was made very cheaply, special effects at the time were very limited but it had all the ingrediants of a great movie. The Star Wars franchise has made somewhere around 5 billion dollars over the years, not bad considering that the ticket price ffor Star Wars here was 75c! The only good movie PJ has made was The Frighteners. It is a laugh to compare Weta Workshops to ILM, most people could do better with a super 8 movie camera and a roll of sellotape!

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Wow what better place to see it on an old Cinerama deep curved screen even if the whole size of the screen isn’t used up as Cinerama was a (three stripe film) projection process that filled the entire screen. Regular 35mm will only fill a portion of its size still it looks impressive.

Square cinemas just like our living rooms WTF! No chactutre on style just something fast and simplistic is what they want today, same goes with the film there in the largest screen for 2 weeks at best and then shoved into the smaller screen. Okay I guess “Avatar” might have been booked in a large screen for 6 to 7 weeks.

I was going to say a few other things but, decided not to bother. This whole thing of digital cinema is just depressing me. It won’t be long before projectionists are no longer needed “wave to the future” fuck the future! It’s the lost art in cinema projection. Digital projection is lazy ass means today.

Projectionists are slowly turning into drones programmed by the company to act and perform like robots pushing buttons. In the old days it was a hands on thing it seemed real, today it seems synthetic.
    Hi Ash, I actually saw Star Wars on the Cinerama screen that was a 70mm print. Dont know where it came from but it filled the entire screen,

Allan.

p.s. Just found out that it was printed on 70mm 6 channel!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Did you?
    I’m naturally (spaced out) with, what is called (an imagination). I don’t need no artifice drug enhancement, other than what the doctor subscribes to me.

“Avatar” has been the biggest flop in this home cinema. Okay I might have had "Avatar" DVD region 2, fever over a week ago, but that soon wore off. The bluray has hardly been played it would if it was DolbyTrue and not dtsHDMA. Fox dons’t stop to think what the paying consumer wants?

JBL 4645
    Hi Ash, I actually saw Star Wars on the Cinerama screen that was a 70mm print. Dont know where it came from but it filled the entire screen,

Allan.

p.s. Just found out that it was printed on 70mm 6 channel!
    Maybe they had special lens to fill the screen up! There is special well not really just lens that gives 35mm prints a 70mm feel to them on Bournemouth ABC screen 1 screen which is a 70mm screen only hardly ever used now for 70mm rare print screenings now, what waste of the inner-left and inner-right stage channels.

It wouldn't be so bad if cinemas that have duel projector run 70mm each weekend because I'll go if within reasonable travelling distance.

You can tell if its 70mm because the queue marks on the print every so 15 or 20 minutes will have (O) circle then count 10 seconds before the next reel change over or it might be all spliced together into one uninterrupted program.

(0) oval shaped queue for marks (scope films) appear horizontal on the screen always upper right-hand corner.

(O) again circular queue marks for W/S films will appear in upper right corner of the frame.

JBL 4645
    You dont get my point. They spent millions of dollars promotong Avatar and pre convincing people that thye would like it. There was nothing in Avatar that had any wow factor. The storyline was lame and the cinematography was lame beyond belief. In another 12 months the whole world will have forgotten about it. 35 years after the fact, people are still talking about the original Star Wars and the murchandising from the movie is still selling hand over fist. Star wars was made very cheaply, special effects at the time were very limited but it had all the ingrediants of a great movie. The Star Wars franchise has made somewhere around 5 billion dollars over the years, not bad considering that the ticket price ffor Star Wars here was 75c! The only good movie PJ has made was The Frighteners. It is a laugh to compare Weta Workshops to ILM, most people could do better with a super 8 movie camera and a roll of sellotape!

Allan.
    Precisely!

I still have my little rant on the well almost original and I think you know what I’m, talking about. Not just Han shot first but the whole soundtrack I want to hear the 70mm Dolby version on DVD in discrete form the 35mm is plagued with crosstalk (as with all 35mm optical Dolby analogue prints) enough said!

I want to hear and feel the original because some lucky buggers heard and felt that mix during its theatrical and re-release issue prints though the late 70’s to early 80’s and again after Jedi came out.

But Lucas has tinkered with Star Wars Dolby film mix (while waving his hand at the mixers)
    “You will mix it the way I want it now”.
    “We well mix it the way you want it, master”.

So the chances are that the original 70mm road show Dolby film mix is intact is a long hope. I bet when its released on bluray it will end up with 7th re-mix I promise you!

1# Mono
    2# 35mm optical twin-track Dolby stereo 4.2.4 matrix
    3# 70mm six-track Dolby stereo discrete with “baby boom” subwoofer track
    4# THX laserdisc Dolby stereo 4.2.4 matrix
    5# Special edition 35mm (re-mix) Dolby stereo SR-D/dts SDDS
    6# special edition DVD (re-mix) Dolby digital surround-EX

7th re-mix coming soon to bluray!

I don’t think I want to hear or feel a 7th re-mix! I want to hear, listen to the original monaural discrete surrounds fading in and out at certain times in the mix not have constant all around faked stereo surrounds. The film was never intended to have stereo surrounds. Stereo surrounds on 70mm didn’t come around till Superman the movie (1978).

Only a few 70mm films ever had stereo surrounds the rest was just the odd rare five-screen with single surround and three-screen with “baby boom” or “boom channel” with mono surround.

Today there are few DVD to bluray titles getting fake stereo cheap surrounds that come-off from the discrete left and right fronts and have been folded onto the mono surround where it not only because annoyingly constant at all-times but masks the original mono surround track, yes, be aware of what you buy now!

I know what to listen for now! There little game secret I have exposed the truth!

This reply from bullshiting Paramount Pictures in regards to "Star Trek the motion picture" so called original (1979) with its fake stereo surrounds yes that is one title to look out for on DVD/Bluray. I get this bullshit answer after weeks of waiting! No its not satisfactory!

Thank you for your email below.

I am sorry to hear that the DVD and Blu-ray versions of Star Trek Original Motion Picture did not meet your expectations. We have however investigated the matter, and believe that the product, taking into account the age of the film, does meet the required market standards.

Yours sincerely,

James Damon | Vice President
    International Legal and Business Affairs

It must sound even worse in Dolby 7.1 WTF! the film was only produced with six-tracks on the few rare 70mm prints that was produced. The rest was 35mm Dolby stereo type "A".

The fake bullshit that ((surrounds)) me, now I need wings to fly above it!

You dont get my point. They spent millions of dollars promotong Avatar and pre convincing people that thye would like it.
    Excuse me? So you think I'm easily shaped by advertising and production costs? Did I not mention that I specifically waited a few months just to overlook and forget about the hype and advertising? I came to my own conclusion and I personally liked it, as well as everyone else I've spoken to.

There was nothing in Avatar that had any wow factor. The storyline was lame and the cinematography was lame beyond belief. In another 12 months the whole world will have forgotten about it.
    You're kidding me? No wow factor? Now you're just in denial.

35 years after the fact, people are still talking about the original Star Wars and the murchandising from the movie is still selling hand over fist. Star wars was made very cheaply, special effects at the time were very limited but it had all the ingrediants of a great movie.
    Sorry, but the only people that are still discussing Star Wars are a select few who have built up communities around the franchise. In terms of actually being in the spotlight, that time has long passed.

The Star Wars franchise has made somewhere around 5 billion dollars over the years, not bad considering that the ticket price ffor Star Wars here was 75c! The only good movie PJ has made was The Frighteners. It is a laugh to compare Weta Workshops to ILM, most people could do better with a super 8 movie camera and a roll of sellotape!
    You're comparing one film to a series of films! How the hell is that fair? Just wait until they release a few sequels. Then it'll be a fair comparison.

JBL 4645
    You're comparing one film to a series of films! How the hell is that fair? Just wait until they release a few sequels. Then it'll be a fair comparison.
    And what is the sequel to Avatar going to be called?

This time it’s more war!

Have you every noticed

Aliens
    The Abyss
    Aliens of the Abyss

Wow can the director please come up with ‘er better title?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    SO why would you ask if others did?
    Its frankly rude of you to ask if others might have "dropped acid" to enjoy the film -
    How would you know about such things if you have no first-hand knowledge?
    Really, does anyone even DO "acid" anymore?
    Go and look around youtube or some of the live video sites and you’ll have people there bragging live, I wonder if the FBI is watching?

For those that drop acid on "2001" during “the stargate sequence” at the time it might be mind bending, but was such a simple effect and still holds up if seen on Cinerama screen.

I don’t think I’m being rude when some have the gore to say on public live video chat room sites "I do drugs I smoke grass". That is something you just don’t talk about to strangers.

Anyway I don't smoke or touch drugs its unhealthy.

Excuse me? So you think I'm easily shaped by advertising and production costs? Did I not mention that I specifically waited a few months just to overlook and forget about the hype and advertising? I came to my own conclusion and I personally liked it, as well as everyone else I've spoken to.

You're kidding me? No wow factor? Now you're just in denial.

Sorry, but the only people that are still discussing Star Wars are a select few who have built up communities around the franchise. In terms of actually being in the spotlight, that time has long passed.

No, No and No. You are still not getting it. The movie that I mentioned was "Star Wars" Not any of its sequels. As far as only a few groups talking about Star Wars, there is a whole star wars universe out there. You can still walk into a shop and buy a Darth Vader key ring. Cant think for the life of me why that is.....There is and never has been "hype" around the Star Wars movies. People go to see them because of the impact of the first movie. I am not sure how many people camped out to get Avatar tickets....There have only been two movie Franchises that have surpassed Star Wars: James Bond only for its longevity and Harry Potter simply because of the fact that ticket prices are more than 10 times what they were in the 70's. I care little for your opinion about what movie is better, the "bums on seats" quotient will win every time.

Allan.

Dead Dud !

The biggest waste of 15 quid ever. Besides colour, the film had SWFA to offer . I was hoping to feel inspired in to painting again, only to find that Roger Dean's work was something I new about and admired 33 years ago. The title should have been " Tales of Topographical Oceans "

Complete hype about complete shite. The mrs made a better film fella ,face it " the Hurt locker " . Whats even more ironic is the size of the carbon footprint made to make a film about being green.
    How much did that film cost to make ? 150 million or something like that .... How many people could that kind of cash helped out ... Shit , could of got Ash a new flat screen and fed the third world .. bailed out Greece even ....

I couldn't watch it all the way through - I walked out ... thank f--k the popcorn was worth it !
    Last edited by richluvsound; 05-23-2010 at 12:01 AM. Reason: needed to add more praise !

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    The biggest waste of 15 quid ever. Besides colour, the film had SWFA to offer . I was hoping to feel inspired in to painting again, only to find that Roger Dean's work was something I new about and admired 33 years ago. The title should have been " Tales of Topographical Oceans "

Complete hype about complete shite. The mrs made a better film fella ,face it " the Hurt locker " . Whats even more ironic is the size of the carbon footprint made to make a film about being green.
    How much did that film cost to make ? 150 million or something like that .... How many people could that kind of cash helped out ... Shit , could of got Ash a new flat screen and fed the third world .. bailed out Greece even ....

I couldn't watch it all the way through - I walked out ... thank f--k the popcorn was worth it !
    Ummmm........It actually cost closer to 300 million. That makes it all the better, right?

Thread Information