Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "4345" Project

Obsolete

DIY "4345" Project

Yet another one of these "4345" threads. I'm reposting this because I was asked to.

I decided to whip up a pair of DIY 4345's this past spring. I could post a bunch of reasons along with a ton of detail but I really need to get back to more pressing tasks at hand so I'll just post the pictures I happened to take at various points.

I suppose it would have been nice to do a full photoshoot of the whole process but my passions lay elsewhere during the six month period and I just wanted them done so these are the pictures I ended up with. I didn't even take pictures of the networks or the back with the access panel open but I have to take these apart in a few weeks so I'll take those pictures then.

The original components were going to be:

2245H
    2122H
    2445J/2311/L94 (aquaplased)
    Charge-coupled, bi-amp only 3144/3145 equivalent networks

And they ended up being:

2245H
    2123H
    2445J/2311/L94 with D8R2452H-SL diaphragms
    2405H
    Charge-coupled, bi-amp only 4344 Mk II networks that really should be optimized for the 2445/D8R2452H-SL combo.
    4344 Mk II network

All the components are fresh with brand new recones and diaphragms.

I could be mistaken since I can't compare them directly but I think the tricked out 4355's with charge coupled equivalent networks sound a wee bit better. And that's very probably because the 4344 Mk II network is optimized for the 1.75-inch compression driver which has a wee bit less bottom end and a wee bit more top end than the 4-inch compression driver. In other words, "tilt".

In any case, I'll be moving on to the 4345 equivalent networks with the 2122H's and 2421B's as well as 2445J's in a few weeks after I get the rest of the 4355 networks out the door as promised. I'm extremely pleased with the tricked out 4355's but that's another thread I suppose.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Obsolete

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers
    Wow, that looks great. I particularly like the metal lens.
    I should have dusted it before shooting the pic though.

OMG!!!!

Simply stunning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I didn't even take pictures of the networks or the back with the access panel open but I have to take these apart in a few weeks so I'll take those pictures then.

In any case, I'll be moving on to the 4345 equivalent networks with the 2122H's and 2421B's as well as 2445J's in a few weeks (I've already got over a hundred and fifty brand new data files) after I get the rest of the 4355 networks out the door as promised.
    Why do you plan on taking them apart? Testing different components?

Additionally, I cannot thank you enough for sharing all that you do here at the forums - you help and contributions are much appreciated.

Fantastic work beneath all that dust!
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers
    Wow, that looks great. I particularly like the metal lens.

Pretty incredible. Can you share a pic of the pair, in their working position?

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I should have dusted it before shooting the pic though.
    Just Beautiful Giskard... you're very talented

Wow ! Those are SAWEEEET! Very well executed. Something to be very proud of.

Good Morning, 4313B, and All,

Simply outstanding work, Sir!! Very well done, and absolutely lovely, indeed!! If ANYTHING would tempt us away from our beloved L300's, it would be a project like you have shared with us here!!
    Thanks, again, for sharing your talents with us, 4313B, and here's to many great years of wonderful listening to these lovely JBL-based speakers!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I'm really envious of those woodworking skills.

I never was good for this kind of stuff, I have excellent knowledge of electronics and I love to design and build stuff, audio or else, but I have no skill at all to build nice enclosures or cabinets for my creations.

I have a DIY power amp that is mounted on a piece of plywood, from power cord to speaker outputs, all the components are screwed on the board, no covers
    I have speaker boxes that were never painted or finished in any way, a bench power supply with all it's innards tie-wrapped together....

It all works good, but looks like

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    I'm really envious of those woodworking skills.
    I too am envious. And there are quite a few of these talented people here: 4313B, Mr. Widget, John W, Saeman, JBL Canuck, Woodbanks, etc. to name a few.

Just unbelievable workmanship.

I've always wanted one of the classic JBL monitors and hence decided to build my own. I remember when I started my project, I said "I can certianly do the construction" <--foot in my mouth. The one thing that I have learned while building my 4345s (still in construction) is that woodworking probably requires more patience than any other hobby. You just simply can't rush anything. Everything has to be perfectly planned out. I tried to do that to the best of my ability, but unless you don't do this type of work on a regular basis, there are bound to be surpises.

My 4345 is my first attempt at speaker building. Heck, I didn't even have any tools to build them. I bought a table saw along the way, a router, Bessey clamps, etc - all for the sake of building the speaker. I learned a lot from the forums here as well as various youtube videos.

Its been fun but its certainly a lot of work. Not having a sperate woodshop in the house only makes it worst.

I don't mean to discourage anyone here - I'm just saying that a lot more work goes into building these speakers than what pictures can capture.

Awesome

Those are just plain beautiful.. I'd love to hear them..

Sweet speakers!

I wish i could afford to have a speaker system like that built for me!

Glad it belongs to a friend!

Ron sends....
    JBL Pro for home use!

They sure do look great!!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information