Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Cable...quick recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    So, do you think the White Lightning DIY is worth the trouble (since I cannot find the Multi-Stage banana clips for a decent price).
    Your logic astounds me.

Buy 16 Neutrik dual-bananas and they're less than $2.50/each including shipping. You're probably gonna need some sort of terminals for the Mapleshade wires and four 10" pairs of their cheapest Golden Helix wires are $250 plus shipping. Even if you tried the Moonshine White Lightning and didn't like them you'd be out eight-bucks for the extension cord and still have the best dual-bananas cheaper than you can buy the cheapest from Rat Shack.

Of course if you feel the Helix wires are just fine and you don't need terminals, then don't use any on the White Lightning, either. Just tin them and shove them in your speakers. Without connectors, the White Lightning costs you $8 for two pair of ten-foot cables. Here's what your Mapleshade link says about connectors, and note the cost:
    For best sound, we recommend connecting our cables directly to speaker binding posts using only their prepared, bare wire ends. Upon request, we will add pure copper spade lugs for $5 extra per termination or banana plugs for $7.50 each.
    Or are you looking for the speaker-wire dollar menu for your JBLs?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

So, do you think the White Lightning DIY is worth the trouble (since I cannot find the Multi-Stage banana clips for a decent price) or should I just go with the:

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/aud...eakercable.php

Or the Blue Jean

Or ?????

I just wanted to keep a pair below $100...
    Are you joking?

Widget

Obsolete
    "The soundstage on my reference disc took on a whole new depth, the bass was noticably deeper & clearer, the vocals and guitar took on a startling new sense of smooth presence."

Yeah I know... his Madonna Greatest Hits reference disc sounds great now... woohoo... whatthefuckever...

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yeah I know... his Madonna Greatest Hits reference disc sounds great now... woohoo... whatthefuckever...
    From the Urban Dictionary

whatthefuckever - 3 definitions - Used when you think you are tottaly right, end of story.

I had no idea. That is a very useful word.

Widget

Punch
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Are you joking?

Widget
    I am not joking. By this Saturday, I will work over 110+ hours this week. I am not sure if anyone can comprehend that, so my time is pretty limited. I would rather buy something comparable than take the time to find the parts, buy the parts, and assemble the parts. As BMWCCA's jab at me in the cabinet care section earlier, this is the only place I can ask my questions and experiment so I get the correct and exact product that I need without shopping around too much.

Man, I gave up on this place almost 7 years ago because of similar comments to me and others. I think it is time to bow out. Thanks to everyone who has been a help to me here.

I am not joking. By this Saturday, I will work over 110+ hours this week. I am not sure if anyone can comprehend that, so my time is pretty limited. I would rather buy something comparable than take the time to find the parts, buy the parts, and assemble the parts. As BMWCCA's jab at me in the cabinet care section earlier, this is the only place I can ask my questions and experiment so I get the correct and exact product that I need without shopping around too much.

Man, I gave up on this place almost 7 years ago because of similar comments to me and others. I think it is time to bow out. Thanks to everyone who has been a help to me here.
    Sorry to ruffle your feathers... not my intention at all. My question wasn't your willingness to spend money as opposed to building something... my question was actually in earnest. From your posts it seemed that you were looking at the issue of wire almost randomly so I thought you might be cracking wise.

I must have misinterpreted your posts... it just seems to me, that unless you actually find a particular wire that you prefer over good old copper, why spend the money and in your case, your precious time on it. For the past few years I have been professionally involved in audio. The highest profit margins are in wire and cable... it is no wonder so much advertising and energy are spent there... in most cases, the simplest wire is the best. There really is no need to spend $100 on speaker wire. The money spent on music will be money better spent.

BTW: I have certainly had 110 hour weeks in the past getting 2 to 4 hours of sleep each night. Good luck with your project/work.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I had no idea. That is a very useful word.
    Me neither! I thought I'd just made it up on the fly and was going to get the credit!

This topic has been discussed many times before in great detail

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=22658

Here is a link on this very subject: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Here is a question I ask the "audiophile" when it comes to the many myths that abound on the subject.
    If a 10 million dollar recording studio uses double pair 10# guage copper wire, biamped, (4 conductor) wouldn't they switch to your magic wire that you use on your $5,000. system if it made a difference?

Personally I hope you don't bow out. I've enjoyed your contributions over the years. But, in the end this is a forum and we human beings have opinions and ego's and a sneaking suspicion that we know more than the next guy. Sometimes we mean well but, don't always express it in a cordial way...but that too is human.
    The other half of the equation: A forum can be a marvelous source of information, no matter how enlightened you may fancy yourself...you just have to sort through the B.S. and take the jabs with a grain of salt.

Keep in there friend.

Wink A forum can be a fun plce as well!

Yes, we sometimes take little jabs at each other mostly in fun.

Each of has an opinion based his or her experiences, but we are all here because we like good sound and JBL speakers.

I'm the Chief Engineer at a FM radio station, I have 50 years of experience with sound engineering, wire, RF, JBL speakers, and all sorts of miscellaneous things, all of which I'm happy to share with other members.

Yes sometime we have go through a lot of sand to get that grain of salt, but I feel it is worth it, many times I have had a real good laugh reading some of the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=22658

Here is a link on this very subject: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Here is a question I ask the "audiophile" when it comes to the many myths that abound on the subject.
    If a 10 million dollar recording studio uses double pair 10# guage copper wire, biamped, (4 conductor) wouldn't they switch to your magic wire that you use on your $5,000. system if it made a difference?
    I was making often the similar remarks to the videophools who spend hundreds of dollars in those exotic 6' long coaxial cables to go from their gear to the monitors.

Did you know that the million dollar TV studios all over the planet are wired with kilometers of the ubiquitous Belden 1694A blue coax at 50 cents a foot (retail)

Punch
    Well, 25+ years in a way.

Here is the history. I started as a stereo fan when I was 12 in 1982...hanging out in a stereo shop by my dad's restaurant. I was hooked.

Bought my 4301s for $95...connected to a $195 Yamaha receiver, Yamaha CD player, and a Panasonic table. I saw my first pair of 250's when I bought that CD player in '86 or '87. By 1987, I had no stereo set-up for 15 years, from 1988 to 2003. Short story, I was not able to have one....a lot of school, no money, no time.

Then I set up a system again in 2003 when I joined Lansing Heritage (NAD Int. Amp, Rotel CD player, and bought 166s)...everything back in storage from 2006 until 2009...bought my McIntosh pieces....started to look for the 250Ti's...then it was today, 12/17/09.

So, I have a lot of questions because I have so much catching up to do. I really have no idea about some of things you all talk about...I am trying to learn each day. Please bear with me....My thread starting and posting has been a bit messy. I am not a rookie when it comes to forums. I have been pretty excited about the new acquisitions, and I have been brainstorming all over the place. I have not had that "kid in a candy store" feeling in a long, long time. I have really been enjoying myself here again. I am not anywhere near the level that most of you are at. College, medical school, residency, etc. made me lose about 17 years of my life and a lot of my interests along the way.

I'll just take a break...take a deep breath, and look back at all of your contributions to my questions, which I am grateful for. Thanks again and I am sorry.

If you ever get a day off, maybe you can drop by the radio station.

PM me and maybe we can do lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    Personally I hope you don't bow out...
    +1

Don't let folks here get under your skin. If they're gruff or rough, just realize that they are probably nice in person - they just spend too much time out here and courtesy can get lost...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Well, 25+ years in a way.

Here is the history. I started as a stereo fan when I was 12 in 1982...hanging out in a stereo shop by my dad's restaurant. I was hooked.

Bought my 4301s for $95...connected to a $195 Yamaha receiver, Yamaha CD player, and a Panasonic table. I saw my first pair of 250's when I bought that CD player in '86 or '87. By 1987, I had no stereo set-up for 15 years, from 1988 to 2003. Short story, I was not able to have one....a lot of school, no money, no time.

Then I set up a system again in 2003 when I joined Lansing Heritage (NAD Int. Amp, Rotel CD player, and bought 166s)...everything back in storage from 2006 until 2009...bought my McIntosh pieces....started to look for the 250Ti's...then it was today, 12/17/09.

So, I have a lot of questions because I have so much catching up to do. I really have no idea about some of things you all talk about...I am trying to learn each day. Please bear with me....My thread starting and posting has been a bit messy. I am not a rookie when it comes to forums. I have been pretty excited about the new acquisitions, and I have been brainstorming all over the place. I have not had that "kid in a candy store" feeling in a long, long time. I have really been enjoying myself here again. I am not anywhere near the level that most of you are at. College, medical school, residency, etc. made me lose about 17 years of my life and a lot of my interests along the way.

I'll just take a break...take a deep breath, and look back at all of your contributions to my questions, which I am grateful for. Thanks again and I am sorry.
    I used to be in a similar situation...well kinda'.
    A couple years ago I built a set of of speakers that cost around $3000 to build from a ht forum with very well respected members.
    It took me over a year to build these speakers and it came to a point where I was questioning everything from screws to glue to wires. It came to a point where the information available started to become information overload with everyones different views and opinions.
    I ended up following the advice of only a select couple of members not because I didnt think others didnt know what they were talking about, but the 150 years of combined wisdom of building speakers of these select members was enough for me.
    I simplified my thoughts not my design and my goals and built a world class set of speakers that I fell in love with until I had to sell them cause they wouldn't fit in my place.

In essence, the worst that can happen with some of the decisions you make can be undone quickly, easily and inexpensively. As for your time or limited time...we have all been there and 110 hours is something alot of us are doing these days just to try and pay the bills.

Good Luck and whatever decisions you make you will almost always be second guessing yourself. It's just human nature.

Mike

Thread Information