Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Cable...quick recommendations

Yes. Power cords. We are a crazy bunch over here

I was thinking of letting them hear cable A. Then play 2 others, where one of them is the same. The question beeing: Can they positively identify Cable A from the other.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Yes. Power cords. We are a crazy bunch over here

I was thinking of letting them hear cable A. Then play 2 others, where one of them is the same. The question beeing: Can they positively identify Cable A from the other.

-Tim
    Well... I can understand the need to test different speaker cables even though I'm sure the difference, if any, will be inaudible. But the sound of power cables? screwy:

Sorry, no offense intended but I'm at loss for words.

Not more cable FUD!!!!

Yes, here we go again!!!
    Power cord no less!!! P T Barnum all over again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    I do not need interconnects, just speaker cable. So, I will need to find that patio cord (hope it is still around) and the LS4 Multi-Contact Banana Clips. I only need 8 (maybe 16) clips...does anyone have them for sale that bought them by the bulk?
    I didn't make interconnects, either. My 4345s are bi-amped so I made four 10" speaker cables using 8 Neutrik dual-bananas but since I get so tired of overpaying at the local music store or Rat Shack for Chinese-made bananas, I bought 16 Neutriks so I'd be able to make more later. Markertek isn't the cheapest but they shipped incredibly fast. Shipping cost $10 so I ordered extra. I just have a thing against paying more for shipping than the product being shipped; call me odd! The whole order, including shipping, for enough Neutriks to make eight Moonshine cables, cost $38. That's less than $2.50 each, or still cheaper than Rat Shack's cheapest dual-bananas by over a buck, each. The Woods cable is still under $8 at WalMart. I just clicked the laptop and paid the freight to Markertek because I was tired of looking for better deals and some pros in the biz spoke highly of them. When it turned out they hadn't sent enough strain-relief "teeth", a quick call on their 800-number got me to a nice guy who knew just what I needed and had them to me in two days, no questions asked. I'm just happy they even bother with small orders like mine and in the end they probably lost money on me, but that was their fault, and I'll be back.

I'm very happy with my 6Moon cables, but then I was happy with my 16-gauge Lowe's speaker cable, too. I didn't bother to A-B them. The 4345s sounded fine before and they sound fine now. But I feel better having the Neutriks, and the cables lay flat, look good, and seem to work just fine.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I've been thinking about a pair of these speaker cables..

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...0%20%2010PBFBF

AudioQuest - K2 - With 72v DBS - Speaker Cable
    10' Pair - Price: $10,450.00

I wud've jumped, but need a 20 ft. pair ...hey, mebbe I can get 2 10ft. pairs and splice ?

Bet I cud then hear detail that isn't even in the music
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    Yes, here we go again!!!
    Power cord no less!!! P T Barnum all over again!!!
    power cords are only a step towards audio nirvana ...then the wall outlets @$148 each...

But wait, there's more !!
    http://www.musicdirect.com/product/82065

OYAIDE - DUAL DUPLEX CARBON FIBER WALL PLATE (Without Outlet) Mfr/Label: Oyaide Sku: AOYAWPCZ2 Category: Wall Plates Ships on or before: Ships In 24 Hrs* $345.00 ADD TO WISHLIST

OYAIDE - DUAL DUPLEX CARBON FIBER WALL PLATE (Without Outlet)

New Double Duplex Wall Plate from Oyaide! Combination of Carbon Fiber and Thick, Solid Aluminum!
    Not only the coolest looking wall plate ever designed, this one has technology to back it up! The Oyaide Wall Plate Mounting Frame is milled from 13mm thick, solid aluminum, machined from a single block. Check out the picture of the rear, this is not an outer frame, but an essential part of the rigidity and resonance damping properties of the wall plate! The Carbon Fiber front panel is fully shielded, non-resonant and non-magnetic. The AC plug is the first link in your entire audio system, don't skimp on the A/C connection! 100% Money Back Guarantee!
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Those dudes are smoking dope, $345 for an aluminum outlet cover, with carbon fiber glued to it??

not crazy just stupid!!
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Punch
    Does it come with the screws? If so, that is not a bad price.

I think I can handle that DIY

granite audio

and I thought these were stupid and way too pricey

http://www.graniteaudio.com/cable/page3.html

but your cable price beats these?

BTW I know all about single crystal polysilicon, and how its grown in a Czochralski process reactor (spent my first 12 yrs as a semiconductor process engineer),

but I NEVER heard more BS than single crystal silver metal!
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Well, I hope I don't get my knuckles wrapped for this, but I use Canare 4S11 cable. It has 4 conductors which you can use for bi-wiring or bi-amping, or you can just twist pairs together for a heavier cable which is what I do.

I like it. It's about 3/8" thick total with the jacket is very flexible and I kinda like the simple look of it.

http://bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Mike

Punch
    This cable is for the 250's....banana clips or spades? Audio Classics recommended Spades...

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin11 View Post
    Well, I hope I don't get my knuckles wrapped for this, but I use Canare 4S11 cable. It has 4 conductors which you can use for bi-wiring or bi-amping, or you can just twist pairs together for a heavier cable which is what I do.

I like it. It's about 3/8" thick total with the jacket is very flexible and I kinda like the simple look of it.

http://bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Mike
    Very good cable, and at 1.29 a foot you can't go wrong.
    However it's not a cable designed for bi-amp, it's a cable designed for long runs and the quad configuration helps limit cable radiation when properly connected with the same colours joined at each end.
    If you look at the cable the conductors alternate red white red white and they twist on themselves as they go. For bi-amp you need to check continuity in order to properly make the connectors.

This cable was designed for TV studios where long, high voltage speaker lines could cause interference.

Their theory for making this cable makes sense, they don't try to sell you snake oil. Besides at that price you get a lot of copper

Quote Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
    and I thought these were stupid and way too pricey

http://www.graniteaudio.com/cable/page3.html

but your cable price beats these?
    I really, really am in the wrong business. I should start making stuff for the audiofools.

that's the truth

expensive cables =

kinda like a Bose speaker...if you get my meaning ... if you catch my drift....

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Interesting. The way I would do it is prepare different cable assemblies with the same kind and brand of connectors on each and have somebody not involved in the test swap them.
    I would also tell the person to make some catch moves, like disconnecting and reconnecting the same cable

Honestly, I'm interested in this, try to document and be as objective as possible.

--------------------------edit---------------------

Wait a minute, I just re-read your post..... power cords??????
    It has been done...

You have to read through a few million posts but I thought their dedication impressive and the outcome was rather interesting.

Widget

Thread Information