Thread: Telefunken RB46 Speakers (5403 "Sound Columns")

Telefunken RB46 Speakers (5403 "Sound Columns")

Looking for someone who can and does repair these "non-standard" vintage German types (or who is willing to advise)

Sold as stand alones as the RB46, labelled "5403" if they were supplied with a receiver or radio

I have a pair I just re-capped, very impressive little boxes.............BUT, I have an issue with woofer cone resonance and it's bad, ruins the speakers

Using warble test tones I have identified the main problem as being between 63-80Hz; any "off the shelf" suggestions? Can't hurt anything

Fairly large oval shaped woofer, VC alignment is good and the spider appears flat and firm

Have done/checked all I can do, even treated the pleated surround edges with a little PVA (these speakers were poorly stored I think)

Very very nice sound after the re-cap, mids to highs

These are worth repairing, so my question is: does anyone here work on these types or know someone who does?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZoRZWT2Kp4

More pictures:
    http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G0201/E/7...7799-18569-00/

These speakers remind me of my first speaker project about 1967.
    The tweeter and the bigger oval speaker are made by Isophon. (he third speaker I can't identify)
    These big oval speakers have a high QTS which makes them unsuitable for closed box or bassreflex designs. Telefunken made holes in the back. Perhaps it is adviced to use a back with bigger holes or to use some damping behind the speaker.
    These ovals sound quite nice in an open baffle design.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    These big oval speakers have a high QTS which makes them unsuitable for closed box or bassreflex designs. Telefunken made holes in the back. Perhaps it is adviced to use a back with bigger holes or to use some damping behind the speaker.
    These ovals sound quite nice in an open baffle design.

I tried the PVA on the edges and damping in the boxes prior to the re-cap

I am running/working on them now with the baffle board removed from the cabinet (I have the complete systems, Telefunken's original cabinets as shown in your link's pictures and the video I provided)

The detail present with the parts that do work properly is pretty darn good now; these will make some very fine Jazz speakers IF I can get the woofers to handle some bass notes!

I am fighting the urge to apply something, either to the spider or cone, but am trying to be patient and wise (once you do it, it's done) Hard to discern if I am fighting a "too stiff" or "not stiff enough" problem with the spider or a cone that is just so dehydrated it's resonance frequency is way up there..........either way

When I move the cone by hand it feels firm (the spider) and springs right back into place when the cone is released) For what that's worth

When I first acquired these they were unlistenable; playing them gently and running a 30Hz tone through them for a long period has made them somewhat usable (they are fantastic for voice/talk radio) but they still can't handle music with any bass content like sustained notes with a long decay (think Diana Krall stuff)

On things like Sinatra/Riddle (uncompressed, original mixes/mastering) they sound very good (parts of it anyway)

Thread Information