Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Cable...quick recommendations

Punch

Speaker Cable...quick recommendations

I did a search and it was pretty extensive.

A few questions:

McIntosh MA6500 IA to the 250Ti's

#1 Speaker cable recommendations? I was going to go with the Kubala-Sonsa with Spades for $250/pr for 7' I am a cable novice, and I am not sure I need to spend that much though I know others spend A LOT more.

#2 I will keep experimenting with the room, but is there an ideal distance between the speakers (audio stand is equidistant between them)? Should I be 6' on each side (12' apart total)...7'...8'??? I was not sure how much cable to get....I do not want it too long, but I also do not want it too short so I cannot spread them out even further if needed.

Thanks.

Why spend big money on cables when you can spend it on music instead?
    check the last half dozen or so posts in this thread -
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=23092

Go to the 6 Moons site and look up the White Lghtning Moonshine cable article - basically its a white Walmart 40' extension 3-wire cord with the ends cut off and dual banana connectors soldered on. I bought 2 cords, cut them in half and made 2 pairs of 20' cables for my biamp monitors.

BMWCCA recommended it and I'll vouch for the quality sound!

For non-Biamp use, its $8 for the cable and maybe $24 for 4 high end connectors - certainly worth trying!

Markertek order for 8 of each (each cable needs one dual at each end)

8 [NYS508-B] Neutrik NYS508-B Dual Banana Plug - Black @$1.70/ea = $13.60
    8 [NYS508-R] Neutrik NYS508-R Dual Banana Plug - Red @$1.78/ea = $14.24

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post

A few questions:

McIntosh MA6500 IA to the 250Ti's

#1 Speaker cable recommendations? I was going to go with the Kubala-Sonsa with Spades for $250/pr for 7' I am a cable novice, and I am not sure I need to spend that much though I know others spend A LOT more.

#2 I will keep experimenting with the room, but is there an ideal distance between the speakers (audio stand is equidistant between them)? Should I be 6' on each side (12' apart total)...7'...8'??? I was not sure how much cable to get....I do not want it too long, but I also do not want it too short so I cannot spread them out even further if needed.

Thanks.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

250 bucks for 7' of cable?

I'm in the wrong business

I'm confessing that I am among the cable nutters that spend $$$ on audiocables.

I'm also an electronics engeneer, and to be honest I actually see a connection between the makeup of the cables I think sound good, and their build up.

1. Good conductor area. The mm2 has to be sufficient+some to get the signal there.

2. Shielding. I have experienced wierd results with non-shielded and poorly shielded cables. Specially IC's

3. The RLC values of the cable. Some have very low C and some very low L. Some amplifiers seems to work best with one or the other. An example is a high power amplifier that just shuts down after a while with cables with high C and low L.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Bonfire of the Dollars

A few questions:

might as well make a little alter in front of the gear and start a bonfire fed by dollar bills....similar effects

I can imagine some of the forums great minds getting sick at the thought of spending $250 for 2 seven foot speaker cables...

sources is more important.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I'm confessing that I am among the cable nutters that spend $$$ on audiocables.

I'm also an electronics engeneer, and to be honest I actually see a connection between the makeup of the cables I think sound good, and their build up.

1. Good conductor area. The mm2 has to be sufficient+some to get the signal there.

2. Shielding. I have experienced wierd results with non-shielded and poorly shielded cables. Specially IC's

3. The RLC values of the cable. Some have very low C and some very low L. Some amplifiers seems to work best with one or the other. An example is a high power amplifier that just shuts down after a while with cables with high C and low L.

-Tim
    Granted, the lowest resistance and reactance is desirable, hence a big cable is better, twisted is good, shielding is good also why not. But I really doubt there's an audible difference between cables as long as they're not made of 100' of 24 guage telephone wire

I never saw any serious and impartial study of A/B comparisons that leads to tangible results, and I'm not holding my breath for it.

Well. If we only talk about the cable and forget the audioband for a bit, the differences are actually incredible. We used a network analyzer to determine som impedance stuff. When it was calibrated we could see the impedance change by only moving the cable while connected with BNC. Granted this was in the GHz range.

But another more practical example. I had a twisted IC with a tube power amplifier. It was designed using the UTP principle. When close to the power tubes it gave a small hum in the speakers (Klipsch RF's) Wraped some aluminum foil around it and connected to the chassis. Hum gone.

-Tim

Punch
    You are all the best!

I swear, when I said I had no experience in this area, I meant, I have been doing the above for over 25 years, but I did not know what has changed. I never kept up with cable over the years because I really could not hear an audible difference...I always thought it was just me.

I thought that kind of money was crazy...I was going to ask Santa for it. If I asked him for $250 worth of cable, I think he would have put me on the naughty list for sure.

It is official, $250 cable Thread is closed.

Well. If we only talk about the cable and forget the audioband for a bit, the differences are actually incredible. We used a network analyzer to determine som impedance stuff. When it was calibrated we could see the impedance change by only moving the cable while connected with BNC. Granted this was in the GHz range

-Tim
    No doubt about that, and I reckon you could measure differences between cables even in the audio range, but we all know that something measurable does not automatically becomes discernable.

I don't deny the fact that some cables are electrically superior, I just don't believe that different cables can produce a discernable change in audio quality, given they are not excessively small and long.

Bottom line, I don't believe anybody can hear a difference between 10' of #14 wall mart special and 10' of the super dooper oxygen free pure unobtainium natural unadultered triple layer latex isolation, even if the difference can be measured with special devices.

I'm waiting for the A/B test

That might happen actually.

We are 3 people who want to try blind testing 3 different power cords. Stock and two types of Furutechs.

Might hapen in January or February.

It wont be scientificallly bulletproof, but we will try to make it count.

-Tim

Punch
    I do not need interconnects, just speaker cable. So, I will need to find that patio cord (hope it is still around) and the LS4 Multi-Contact Banana Clips. I only need 8 (maybe 16) clips...does anyone have them for sale that bought them by the bulk?

Punch
    Nevermind...here you all go:

http://www.audio-magus.com/category_s/21.htm

A little pricier that stated in the DIY article, but prices go up, and at least you do not need to buy 100.

That might happen actually.

We are 3 people who want to try blind testing 3 different power cords. Stock and two types of Furutechs.

Might hapen in January or February.

It wont be scientificallly bulletproof, but we will try to make it count.

-Tim
    Interesting. The way I would do it is prepare different cable assemblies with the same kind and brand of connectors on each and have somebody not involved in the test swap them.
    I would also tell the person to make some catch moves, like disconnecting and reconnecting the same cable

Honestly, I'm interested in this, try to document and be as objective as possible.

--------------------------edit---------------------

Wait a minute, I just re-read your post..... power cords??????

Nevermind...here you all go:

http://www.audio-magus.com/category_s/21.htm

A little pricier that stated in the DIY article, but prices go up, and at least you do not need to buy 100.
    What I recommend you however is to get good connectors, Neutrik is a good brand and some guys have talked a lot about their banana connectors recently. (Neutrik's bananas, not their own )

Check out the end of this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=23092

Punch
    Will do...

Some said:

For the money this can't be beat...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=109-064

I have no experience with it though.

I am not sure if I am going to order from Audio-Magus. 8 Banana clips....$9.50 to ship them I am not cheap, but I will not do that on principle alone. Put 'em in an envelope and slap a stamp on it.

Thread Information