Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 166 to 180 of 180

Thread: Speaker Cable...quick recommendations

  1. #166
    Senior Member martin2395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    866
    Sometimes they differ, especially boutique gear that uses single Cardas/WBT style terminals

    I tend to like Supra cables a lot - very nice, balanced sound.

  2. #167
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,964
    Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    Sometimes they differ, especially boutique gear that uses single Cardas/WBT style terminals
    I suppose that makes them extra special. I have Crown, Carver, Soundcraftsmen, and Adcom amps in the house and the terminal spacing is the same for all of them. The bi-amp terminal cups I bought for the 4345s have the same spacing, too, as do the L1, L3, L5, L7, 4412A, L80T, etc.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  3. #168
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,981
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I suppose that makes them extra special. I have Crown, Carver, Soundcraftsmen, and Adcom amps in the house and the terminal spacing is the same for all of them. The bi-amp terminal cups I bought for the 4345s have the same spacing, too, as do the L1, L3, L5, L7, 4412A, L80T, etc.
    The standard dual banana spacing is a U.S. thing... unfortunately it is only a couple of mm different than the most common European AC mains plugs and has been banned for use in Europe due to safety concerns.

    I've been using Pamona dual bananas since the mid '70s. They are very convenient when your speakers and amps have compatible banana plug spacing.


    Widget

  4. #169
    Member Mikhail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vladivostok, Russia
    Posts
    41
    While I am planning to clamp the wire just to the terminal. A bass directly to the speakers. In this regard, I want to try tinned copper.

  5. #170
    J.A.F.S.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Back in the audio lab.
    Posts
    382

    Pomona products

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The standard dual banana spacing is a U.S. thing... unfortunately it is only a couple of mm different than the most common European AC mains plugs and has been banned for use in Europe due to safety concerns.

    I've been using Pamona dual bananas since the mid '70s. They are very convenient when your speakers and amps have compatible banana plug spacing.


    Widget
    Like you Widget, I am a long-term (and very satisfied) user of Pomona ....
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

  6. #171
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,964
    Are we speaking of Pomona as a brand or a type? I know the brand well but I grew up calling a dual-banana a Pomona Plug as a connector type.

    What I'm using could be called Neutrik Pomona Plugs or Neutrik dual-banana plugs. A very small semantic issue with trade-mark implications, like grabbing a "Kleenex" or making a "Xerox". Pomona calls theirs dual-bananas.

    Name:  1330.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  100.5 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  7. #172
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    35

    Speaker Cable...quick recommendations

    It seems to me the reputable speaker companies would have jumped on the boutique speaker cable bandwagon if there were any credence to this debate at all. I am sure they explored and tested the option since there is a big $$$ potential. Perhaps, they found it unethical to put ones name on a product that only produces a placebo effect and not really enhance ones listening experience. I agree Pomona connectors with a solid clean connection and adequate gauge wire cut at equal lengths not to exceed the application and run to avoid power cable induction is all one needs. JBL simply recommends "line cord" and specifies the recommended gauges for the needed cable length on many of its products. I never really understood the boutique speaker cable market, but I sure wish I were in on it.

  8. #173
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,981
    Quote Originally Posted by RLock View Post
    It seems to me the reputable speaker companies would have jumped on the boutique speaker cable bandwagon if there were any credence to this debate at all. I am sure they explored and tested the option since there is a big $$$ potential. Perhaps, they found it unethical to put ones name on a product that only produces a placebo effect and not really enhance ones listening experience. I agree Pomona connectors with a solid clean connection and adequate gauge wire cut at equal lengths not to exceed the application and run to avoid power cable induction is all one needs. JBL simply recommends "line cord" and specifies the recommended gauges for the needed cable length on many of its products. I never really understood the boutique speaker cable market, but I sure wish I were in on it.
    All you need to "get in on it" is a good story, some capital to get a factory in China to produce your "RLock Sound Power Superior Audio Cable", and flexible ethics.


    Widget

  9. #174
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    35

    Speaker Cable...quick recommendations

    Yes, with patented "Real Time Electron Tunneling Technology" to reduce electron drift inside the cables, therefore the same exact electrons from your amp will power the drivers without delay (Far superior to standard cables). Am I getting too far out there? I think there are people out there would buy my cables and not feel ripped off and even brag how great they are. Any investors?

  10. #175
    Senior Member grumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,338
    If you go with Wormhole Antimatter Neutrino Kables with Quantum Entanglement Regime operation (WANKQER), I'm in for a buck.

  11. #176
    Senior Member grumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,338
    BTW, I'm a fan of using four conductor speaker cables with adequate gauge wire,
    but that's partly because it allows some flexibility in wiring. Beyond that (and
    secure/appropriate terminations), my personal interest is usually elsewhere.

  12. #177
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,981
    Quote Originally Posted by RLock View Post
    Any investors?
    Draw up some confusing illustrations and start a Kickstarter Campaign.


    Widget

  13. #178
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    35

    Lightbulb Speaker Cable...quick recommendations

    The longer the acronym the more we can charge...Awesome! Buck's Super Stereo World can carry the entire line.

  14. #179
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    230

    Try this !!!!!!!

    No one would say that it wouldn’t be great to improve already owned speaker cables performance, if that could be easy and possible to achieve at the price around 120 pounds; – D. So , now thanks to ALBEDO- SILVER, well renowned Polish silver cables manufacturer – the one of the best cables money can buy, that wish became possible. Their latest product – Cables stands called Butterfly designed to eliminate vibration and prevent the electrostatic electric charge, made it happened.

  15. #180
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Mogami in bulk:
    http://www.mogamicable.com/pdf/Mogami_Tech_cat2014.pdf

    Mogami cable is difficult to beat

    Hardware from Redco Audio (they're a Mogami dealer as well) Seem to have the best selection in bulk out of all the "dealers" I've dealt with

    The REAN/Neutrik connectors are the best deal for the money and are well made

    I started using Mogami for low capacitance turntable jobs, the quality is superb

    More studios probably use Mogami and Belden than any other manufacturers; only issue I have ever had with Belden is finding a vendor that had the model cable I wanted IN STOCK, that, or having to buy 10x what I wanted

    Redco has always had the goods in Mogami and will sell you any length you want; they also carry Canare

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Speaker Cable Directly To The Woofer?
    By Rolf in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 10:00 AM
  2. Identify Altec Voice of Theater speaker
    By tony359 in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2008, 03:16 AM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 08:07 PM
  4. My rant about classic speaker "upgrades" (aka hack-ups, IMHO)...
    By GordonW in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 12:26 AM
  5. In-Wall Speaker Recommendations?
    By tmckien in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •