Thread: THX car Hi-Fi! Too bad they went Private

JBL 4645

THX car Hi-Fi! Too bad they went Private

Since this company went privatised its become a waste of time, with silly products, like THX car audio, is one of them.

http://www.thx.com/auto/index.html

The noise background level is going to be higher than any background for professional THX cinema, where they have strict guidelines; some THX cinemas lose their licence if, the (air condition system) went above a certain threshold noise level.

And they have the gore to come out with THX car audio sigh! What’s next then? THX cat food? Well my cat is, the worls first THX certified cat!

I think THX shouldn’t have gone private as the old site had some good technical white papers that are just hard to find now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They are laughing all the way to the bank. A few years ago, THX was charging $50 per vehicle for the privilege of certification and using their logo!

THX goes way beyond being 3 letters on a nameplate......

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by mreed112 View Post
    They are laughing all the way to the bank. A few years ago, THX was charging $50 per vehicle for the privilege of certification and using their logo!
    $50.00 dollars a time! That’s like £25.00 pounds? sigh, Sometimes I think they got there nerve.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    THX goes way beyond being 3 letters on a nameplate......
    ....Or licence plate on a vehicle.

To clarify, I meant every vehicle manufactured with the THX logo. I suspect there is a similar royalty agreement for every receiver, sub-woofer, etc. that has the logo.

I think these guys have a license to print money!

To clarify, I meant every vehicle manufactured with the THX logo. I suspect there is a similar royalty agreement for every receiver, sub-woofer, etc. that has the logo.

I wouldn't say that the THX logo means all that much in every product category, but in AVRs for example, a number of major manufacturers have sent in their products only to have them repeatedly rejected until the power supplies were robust enough and the circuit design could meet the THX spec without going into protection mode.

THX employs technicians who actually examine production samples to make sure the product quality is there... while not the same, THX is closer to Dolby in it's licensing than it is to Disney... it isn't just a logo.

Widget

JBL 4645

Yes you’re absolutely right, it’s the royalties.

THX is also more than quality. It is a standard on how things should be done. For a Cinema to be THX approved, it is not enough to have the THX seal on all boxes. The installation also has to be done a certain way.

On the other hand. Tiny recievers with "THX select" is just a cheap way of making profit.

Look at some of the Lexicon stuff. No THX badge, but still it kicks ass.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    THX is also more than quality. It is a standard on how things should be done. For a Cinema to be THX approved, it is not enough to have the THX seal on all boxes. The installation also has to be done a certain way.

On the other hand. Tiny recievers with "THX select" is just a cheap way of making profit.

Look at some of the Lexicon stuff. No THX badge, but still it kicks ass.

-Tim
    Yeah like mine THX select.

Lexicon has had expensive THX processors though the early 1990’s well into late 1990’s.

Thou I haven’t really heard much of peep from Lexicon recently?

Look at the size of that THX logo! No wonder select is cheap version they give me a small tiny logo that is printed on the AVR. The Lexicon has real badge. Or is that printed as well, i just woke up.

I saw Lexicon CP1 going for less than £100.00 oh, this was 6 or 7 years ago now in second hand shop up around Parkstone. Only snag was it didn’t have the remote, yeah and it relies on the remote otherwise you won’t be able to switch though the DSP modes.

Now doesn’t the Lexicon like the JBL Synthesis THX processor? That is Bluray Lexicon with THX!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Yeah like mine THX select.

Lexicon has had expensive THX processors though the early 1990’s well into late 1990’s.

Thou I haven’t really heard much of peep from Lexicon recently?

Look at the size of that THX logo! No wonder select is cheap version they give me a small tiny logo that is printed on the AVR. The Lexicon has real badge. Or is that printed as well, i just woke up.

I saw Lexicon CP1 going for less than £100.00 oh, this was 6 or 7 years ago now in second hand shop up around Parkstone. Only snag was it didn’t have the remote, yeah and it relies on the remote otherwise you won’t be able to switch though the DSP modes.

Now doesn’t the Lexicon like the JBL Synthesis THX processor? That is Bluray Lexicon with THX!
    JBL, Lexicon... all Harman products

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    JBL, Lexicon... all Harman products

Oh well, which came first the chicken or the egg.

Thread Information