Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: AV Component Front-ends

ATI

I assume ATI is clearing the decks of the old stuff, which never really caught on. Even at 80% off, though, I don't think I'd bite.

They are a super-stable company, and aren't going anywhere. They purchased Theta last year, and so I anticipate a new line of pre/pros coming under this brand...

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    I assume ATI is clearing the decks of the old stuff, which never really caught on. Even at 80% off, though, I don't think I'd bite.

They are a super-stable company, and aren't going anywhere. They purchased Theta last year, and so I anticipate a new line of pre/pros coming under this brand...
    I agree with sentences one, three, and four.

Apparently, there's one sentence I don't...
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Isn't two-channel grand!

Well that's too bad. It's amazing how much junk is out there anymore. And the counterfeit stuff is even more hilarious.
    Of course, I don't really run 2-channel in that room much ... (I do have vinyl and CD set for 2 channel mode) - mostly its TV and DVDs which are primarily 5.1 sources ... and some SACD/DVD-A surround music thats also fun.

With all the new gear doing bupkis for me - I checked the Harman support site and they list an out-or-warantee service firm near me - $60 for an estimate ... So, I'm going to take the HK AVR-7300 to them and, if they can fix it for under $250-300 (or close), I may as well give that a shot, as nothing else comes even close pricewise or soundwise ...

The 7300 was very spouse friendly, it required no extra amps for the surround and center channels (Mains and Sub have dedicated amps already, of course), and frankly, the pictures were very nice in Component video mode. Worst case I'll just run the OPPO HDMI direct to the TV like I'm doing right now ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    I'm probably going to stick with my old AVR7200 as well.

I guess I got lucky. I bought a Marantz SR5003 for $500 since it was last year's last year model.

It does 7.1 (I only use 5.0, no sub), dts HD MA, Dolby TrueHD...about the highest powered audio streams I use plus a lot of other audio stuff. Has source direct for audio and video, HDMI 1.3a (only 3 inputs). Hooked up to the Oppo BDP-83 I can skip the video processing of the AVR.

It has pre-amp outs for all channels, so I run amps on the front 2. I run the 2 channel audio through a separate pre-amp so I don't rely on the Marantz for 2 ch music although I can, and have a few multi channel audio recordings that I run thru it, seems to do OK, but a press of a button and I'm source direct off the Oppo (it's an SE model, seems to do OK).

I've never had an HDMI freeze, this is my first "Home Theatre" system and it's pretty dang seamless with the Oppo and DirecTV HD as my inputs, does all the BluRay with surround to a tee and the Oppo takes care of the DVD upconverting (the HD video upconverting of this unit is supposedly pretty rudimentary, but I don't really care with the sources I run).

The menu is sort of clunky, but it's not hard to navigate. Has Audyssey room EQ built in, 3 year warranty.

So nowhere near TOTL or SOTA, but I sure don't have any regrets. In fact, other than the menu, I really like it.

Was playing some multichannel mix DTS music and realized the sub wasn't playing.
    Went into Emotiva setups and dinked with it - it would come on for a while but not stay on.

So - pure frustration, pulled out the rack, pulled out the boxes, pulled the Emotiva and boxed it up for return, and put the Yamaha RX-V2095 back in place, with the Monoprice HDMI switch for video selection.
    The Yam doesn't do Component vid - its pretty old, but it does do 5.1 well, and I'm getting better at the config screens (grin) ...

The sound is a bit veiled again, sadly (the Emotiva does SOUND good) - but - maybe I'll have positive news on the HK AVR 7300 thats out for repairs ...

And I'll get the $699 back for the Emotiva by week's end (with any luck!)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

It's mind-boggling that in 2010 our biggest challenge is finding a decent, up-to-date, full-featured AV pre/pro. Even the more promising units are full of bugs regardless of cost and some of the high end brands seem to be in a holding pattern waiting for the effing morons who run the business side of the current "standards and licensing" groups to stop effing around. The inability of these dipsticks to get their money-grubbing, control-freak spit together is jeopardizing the industry.

It's already killed some brands, mortally wounded others, and neutralized most of the rest into either producing nothing or rushing out stuff that doesn't work well and is behind the times in six months or less. It shows gross incompetence, unchecked greed, and complete lack of leadership.

EDIT: Good luck with your return and your repair.
    Out.

The Emotiva UMC-1 fiasco makes an excellent case study in how NOT to release new gear. It's completely new technology for the company, from stem to stern, and they were eventually forced to release it in a beta state after a year+ of delays. What followed will go down in history as one of the all-time great FUBAR scenarios.

Several other companies recently canceled release of new pre/pro or AVRs for similar reasons.
    It shows gross incompetence, unchecked greed, and complete lack of leadership.
    You left out: disrespect for the consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    It's mind-boggling that in 2010 our biggest challenge is finding a decent, up-to-date, full-featured AV pre/pro. Even the more promising units are full of bugs regardless of cost and some of the high end brands seem to be in a holding pattern waiting for the effing morons who run the business side of the current "standards and licensing" groups to stop effing around. The inability of these dipsticks to get their money-grubbing, control-freak spit together is jeopardizing the industry.

It's already killed some brands, mortally wounded others, and neutralized most of the rest into either producing nothing or rushing out stuff that doesn't work well and is behind the times in six months or less. It shows gross incompetence, unchecked greed, and complete lack of leadership.

EDIT: Good luck with your return and your repair.
    yeah, really killed me to come to the decision to ship it back. It really sounded great, maybe the best thing I've had in the system. But HDMI wasn't ready and had drop outs, and - even when I ran just component video - whenever there would be big transitions from black to very white - like, the page of text that comes up at the end of Big Bang Theory, or the glint of white when the globe spins by at the start of The Daily Show - those sharp transitions would cause some kind of overload and I'd get a blue screen instead of my video ... some threshold was exceeded and it was gone ...

I watched 3 episodes of Big Bang Theory last night with Emma, off the TIVOHD,
    and the picture dropped out at the same spot on every episode, right at the so called "Vanity Plate" at the end of each the episode.

Its a darned shame because, when its working right, the UMC-1 sound is GORGEOUS - but that's not enough if its intermittent.
    Anyway, much as I liked the sound, if the video doesn't work consistently and the sub wasn't regular ... its outta heyah!

Well, I did have SOME success this weekend - I've had a residual hum in the system for a while - I think since I switched from the JBL Pro amps to the pair of Adcom 555s.

Tried getting rid of it a couple of times but had no success. Of course, rolling out the left speaker and the main rack, and pulling the rear access panel takes some doing, and we HAVE had other things to do, so I've lived with it for a while.

With no input cables the Adcoms are silent, so I know it was the Ashley, the Yam EQ, or the input leads to the rack that caused the problem.
    And since bypassing the EQ had no effect, I knew the EQ was not the problem.

On Tuesday after work I even soldered up new XLR-RCA cables to jump from the Ashley to the Adcom amps, but that had no effect. Currently I'm using the original Male Phone- female phono adapters and 2 pair of phono cables in their place.

Saturday I switched some power plugs around and commoned everything, which I swear I had done before - but - I put the Adcom ACE-515 power strip on a 3 pin AC adapter to isolated the ground - and this time, that did it - its all silent now.

Well, if I crank the Yamaha Receiver REALLY HIGH I can hear the noise floor, but at normal levels the system is silent. I know, its supposed to have been like that all along, but it wasn't. Work and life intrude, debug time is infrequent and brief, and the most recent task in the room was configing/testing/sorting out the Emotiva Preamp that I just returned.

Currently, I am using all external amps, Adcom mostly, except for the old HK on the B380 sub, and awaiting news from the bench tech on the HK AVR 7300 estimate/repair cost.

AV Component Front-ends

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thoughts comments, brand loyalties?
    I have no practical experience, but many around here seem to be tracking down Integra AV gear....higher end Onkyo ?

http://www.integrahometheater.com/
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

... awaiting news from the bench tech on the HK AVR 7300 estimate/repair cost.
    Ok - it had been a month since I dropped the HK AVR7300 off for repairs -
    paid the $60 for an estimate, he said he'd call me in a week, so I waited.
    At 2 weeks I called - nothing yet ...
    At 4 weeks, today, I called - he checked and the microprocessor (DSP) chip is bad, and is unavailable - and since everything goes through the chip - its landfill material.

Recent Harman Freakin Kardon gear - NOT RECOMMENDED!
    I suggest their Vintage gear only.

I have a nice Sony 9000es , compnet and dvi switching, none of that foolish HDMI stuff, we could talk

sorry to hear

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Obsolete
    Ok - it had been a month since I dropped the HK AVR7300 off for repairs -
    paid the $60 for an estimate, he said he'd call me in a week, so I waited.
    At 2 weeks I called - nothing yet ...
    At 4 weeks, today, I called - he checked and the microprocessor (DSP) chip is bad, and is unavailable - and since everything goes through the chip - its landfill material.

Recent Harman Freakin Kardon gear - NOT RECOMMENDED!
    I'd ship it back to them before I'd toss it in the landfill. Tell them to put it through a shredder at their expense. We can't keep putting all this garbage in landfills that these jerk-off loser manufacturers keep dumping on the world market... I know they want all this crap they are making to be throw-away. Just make sure you throw it away in their backyard and not yours.
    I suggest their Vintage gear only.
    If you have the skills to keep it running then go for it. Some of the models were lemons even way back when but most of it was better than average.

clmrt
    Time for an update. Still running the Yamaha?

Thread Information