Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: AV Component Front-ends

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I see a large amount of modern Chinese HK stuff in the thrifts , the small number of pieces that I've purchased there have been defective. Doubt that I'd buy one new, even if I was in the market .
    Yep - but, its hard to find any AV Receiver that's semi-affordable that isn't Chinese made ... innit?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yep - but, its hard to find any AV Receiver that's semi-affordable that isn't Chinese made ... innit?
    Darned right...thot I was staying out of that trap by buying the classic Japanese Denon AVR - but MadeInChina too. Had a cold solder joint , straight from the factory , otherwise first class fit & finish ..its one with the setup mic AND a phono section , but I see a lot of Denons on CL , reliability problems like HK ??? :dont-know
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Darned right...thot I was staying out of that trap by buying the classic Japanese Denon AVR - but MadeInChina too. Had a cold solder joint , straight from the factory , otherwise first class fit & finish ..its one with the setup mic AND a phono section , but I see a lot of Denons on CL , reliability problems like HK ??? :dont-know
    as much as the Northridge situation is hurting some people, the move to foreign manufacturing is simply the tide of the world, by no means exclusive to JBL.

If not mistaken, I was told B&W is mfg their high end speakers in China now, and just the same as high end JBL, talking about >$20K+ models.....

as some have stated they are done with JBL come June, I wonder if there's a list of quality AV component manufacturers still manufacturing in the country where headquartered?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    I wonder if there's a list of quality AV component manufacturers still manufacturing in the country where headquartered?
    That sounds like a thread topic.

EDIT: Here you go: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...511#post286511
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    That sounds like a thread topic.

EDIT: Here you go: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...511#post286511
    always Johnny on the spot!

when I opened your new thread and saw the 8 minutes that had elapsed, I literally laughed out loud, not the obligatory LOL acronym stuff

looking forward to the new thread, am truly interested in which of the "big names" selling big $ gear are doing it with dollar a day labor?

btw, I think someone's got someone should have some L250s to tell us about, eh?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

I took one last chance on HK receivers - I bought a Harman Kardon AVR 347 receiver to use as a front end via Harman Direct through eBay.
    Its got 2 HDMI ports, Logic 7, and all the usual stuff (no phono, of course) - 7 x 50w/ch. Price was around $250 delivered ...
    I thought it would at least work better than the Yamaha I bought in a hurry when the AVR 7300 failed on me ... and that replaced a perfectly fine HK AVR 335 that I "only" replaced because the 7300 was supposed to have the faroudja circuits to improve video ...

Well - I got it installed today - OnScreen Display settings are way dumbed down from the 2 previous HK receivers I had. After watching some TV Emma said it felt REAL HOT - so we put a digital thermometer on top and it got to 150 degrees when we stopped counting.

When I pause the TIVOHD I think it goes into some kind of HDMI hunt mode - you can hear a tickTICK sound through the speakers ... It doesn't do HDCD decoding, and it doesn't seem to self-detect DTS vs DD when sent from the OPPO.

SO, its going back for a full refund as soon as I can get an RMA number ...

I shoulda kept the original HK AVR 335 receiver that I started with!

That's it - for real - no more of this newer Harman "stuff" - they are dead to me now.

I will keep the Citation AMP on my Sub, and the older hk740 receiver tied to L20T3s in the office for my Mac mini.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Obsolete

I was talking to our favorite XXX engineer a couple weeks ago about stuff and these H/K things came up...

Have you checked out the Emotiva gear? They're pretty up front about where the stuff is made. My only concern is buying it, and in so doing, supporting the slave labor market. It's pretty bad when you have to check where everything you buy is made to ensure that you aren't supporting some skank loser lining their own pockets at the expense of everything and everyone else around them.

Change finally afoot for China's workers

The Last Gasps of Slavery Slave Labor Builds The Last Two Large ...

Yep, thanks - I've got an order in with Emotiva for a UMC-1 right now, as a matter of fact. I'd been undecided, but with their 30 day return policy, plus this lousy Harman refurb - that made my mind up to take a shot at it. I have enough Adcom amps around to use as mains, surrounds and such for 5.1 mode ... so all I really need is a front end processor anyway ... and everything else like it is twice the price or more ...

I'll let you know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

I was talking to our favorite XXX engineer a couple weeks ago about stuff and these H/K things came up...

Have you checked out the Emotiva gear? They're pretty up front about where the stuff is made. My only concern is buying it, and in so doing, supporting the slave labor market. It's pretty bad when you have to check where everything you buy is made to ensure that you aren't supporting some skank loser lining their own pockets at the expense of everything and everyone else around them.

Change finally afoot for China's workers

The Last Gasps of Slavery Slave Labor Builds The Last Two Large ...

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    and everything else like it is twice the price or more.
    And very likely right out of the same factory...

Heather ,
    I quit looking at the Emotiva after all the issues. Also, they never sent me an updated "do you want to buy" after they sent me they are behind from early April, very interested in your experience

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Heather ,
    I quit looking at the Emotiva after all the issues. Also, they never sent me an updated do you want to buy after they sent me they are behind from early April, very interested in your experience

Mark
    I had been on the waiting list before, but didn't order then due to issues I read in their forum. But after my Top-of-the-Line Harman Kardon AVR 7300 just locked up solid - dead, and then the refurbed AVR 347 arrived (and its basically just cheap cr#p), what have i got to lose? At least I'm promised an RMA a refund for the HK AVR 347 - Of course, I'm just hosed for the 7300. Considering I all my money on the AVR7300, I couldn't do WORSE ...
    (still waiting for someone to get back to me with an RMA number ... Bueller, Bueller, Bueller ...)

Emotiva has a 30 day return policy that doesn't start until they release the final firmware ... so the risk is minimal.

Heck - its even 5 HDMI sources and got all the fancy decoder chips and special modes!

Since I never did think 7.1 made a difference with my sources, in that room, I have enough Adcom amps laying around already to do 5.1 mode - using the GFA-555s for the mains, and that 2535 with one pair bridged to run my center channel and the other pair for my rears.

The B-380 has been great with the Citation amp bridged to mono ... its the only Harman Kardon gear in that room - and it predates this new BPC (Black Plastic Crap) era HK ... I'll def keep it!

The Emotiva is on the way and due Friday ... I'll let you know!

I see a large amount of modern Chinese HK stuff in the thrifts , the small number of pieces that I've purchased there have been defective. Doubt that I'd buy one new, even if I was in the market .
    harman/kardon is crap. No doubt about it. I've sent my 3490 at least three times before I got a non-defective unit.

It's a damn shame. It's such a great brand. Shame it went to the shitters.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    harman/kardon is crap. No doubt about it. I've sent my 3490 at least three times before I got a non-defective unit.

It's a damn shame. It's such a great brand. Shame it went to the shitters.
    Yep. They've had some outstanding products over the years (The Citation XX was the pinnacle). Times have changed.

Ok - jerked that AVR 347 out and boxed it for the RMA shipment "home".

Rebuilt the "sources" rack and installed the Adcom GFA-2535 4 ch amp - bridged one pair for 150w to run the JBL LC-2 center, using the other 50w/ch pair to run the L20T rear surrounds.

Gotta give John kudos for telling me about that amp - seems to be working perfectly in that use.

Still have the biamp rack wired as before - Ashly crossover feeding a pair of Adcom GFA-555s for the mains (4341s)

Have that HK Citation 22 (bridged) in place for the B-380 sub ...

Everything is set for 5.1 mode ...

All I need now is the Emotiva, due to arrive tomorrow, and some config time to set it all up!

It'll be interesting to get your reaction to the Emotiva product after you've lived
    with it for a bit (having no experience with them myself).

Thread Information