Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: AV Component Front-ends

ACE-515 Surge Protection

FWIW, we recycled all the ACE-515's that we had laying around from old jobs, as we were told by Adcom the surge protection varistors had probably degraded from use and they could not guarantee any level of protection. So, use it as a turn on relay, but plug it into a newer surge protector if you're worried about your equipment...

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    FWIW, we recycled all the ACE-515's that we had laying around from old jobs, as we were told by Adcom the surge protection varistors had probably degraded from use and they could not guarantee any level of protection. So, use it as a turn on relay, but plug it into a newer surge protector if you're worried about your equipment...
    Good point. I got mine for the power up/down delay feature - and it does that very well!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Good point. I got mine for the power up/down delay feature - and it does that very well!
    Me, too. Still waiting for it to arrive. I've never run protection for anything. Probably why the caps on the Harman/Kardon DVD/CD player bloated. If so, oddly enough nothing else had a problem.

Just "won" the appropriate NOS Adcom rack ears off The Bay today in an uncontested opening-bid of $15.99, including shipping.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Me, too. Still waiting for it to arrive. I've never run protection for anything. Probably why the caps on the Harman/Kardon DVD/CD player bloated. If so, oddly enough nothing else had a problem.

Just "won" the appropriate NOS Adcom rack ears off The Bay today in an uncontested opening-bid of $15.99, including shipping.
    Not sure when your DVD player was made - but there is a well know period of Asian gear when bootleg caps (yes, really) were in the market. Its one reason the mac G5 was such a problem ... and a lot of gear of that era has problems due to the expanding/failing caps problem.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Not sure when your DVD player was made - but there is a well know period of Asian gear when bootleg caps (yes, really) were in the market. Its one reason the mac G5 was such a problem ... and a lot of gear of that era has problems due to the expanding/failing caps problem.
    Funny, my iMac (the first G5 version) just killed it's second logic board. It had the logic board and the power supply replaced back when it was under Apple Care extended warranty. It's now about seven-years old. Don't know the date on the H-K but it's not that old. I do have the old caps for reference. My other cap-challenged appliance is a three-year-old Westinghouse HD-LDC TV. Another of those known problems so well documented on the Internet. Those bad caps must have been used for 5-years or more before these companies wised up. All for saving a few cents!

My experience at the Apple Store over the past week is a whole 'nuther story about buying a new iMac for my daughter and the poor customer service involved in transferring the data and a keyboard replacement (AppleCare) on my MacBook Pro. Not the right place or time right now! I'm beginning to realize Apple is no longer in the computer business and is really only catering to the iPhone/iPad crowd these days. Maybe they are ripe for becoming part of Harman.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Ace-515

I think I saw another ACE-515 in the back of one of the cabinets this afternoon. If anyone still needs one, let me know - it will be cheap...

Did someone mention cheap???

I am still searching for one. I don't care if we go private or not, what are the details ?

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Paypal me $40 and I'll ship it to you, though I need to test it first, so there's no way it will get out before Monday. I'll PM you my email address this weekend after I've tested it. As I mentioned earlier, assume the surge protection is dead - this is out of a system that was installed in 1991, so it's no spring chicken or NOS virgin, but it looks great.

Good deal! I want it, period , I do wonder if those parts can be replaced.

Whenever is ok, going on an almost all Adcom system (cheap Adcom cd player, anyone have one?)

Thanks

Mark

(sorry for OT Heather)
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Good deal! I want it, period , I do wonder if those parts can be replaced.

Whenever is ok, going on an almost all Adcom system (cheap Adcom cd player, anyone have one?)
    I would think Bill Thalman and his folks could rebuild a surge protection circuiit for ya
    http://www.musictechnology.com/ - Springfield, VA

They've done great with the Adcom stuff Steve and I have had them work on in the past ... As well as fixing my Citation 22.

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    going on an almost all Adcom system
    I'm with you on this one Mark ...last year I picked up a "free to good home" GFA-555 (internal fuses blown - common occurrence ) , then a GTP-500 mk2 preamp and finally a
    GDA-600 DAC* ... ...still looking for more , as I learn what Adcom has produced...

when I drove up to Tsawwassen to purchase my 250Ti's from Marty (JBLCanuk) , he had all Adcom gear and I could hear no deficiencies.

*incredibly SMOOTH DAC , I havnt heard too many, but none that I've demo'ed were that smooth sounding.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I second Heather's recommendation of Bill and the folks at Music Technology.

Mark: didn't you buy a GTP-760 pre/pro? If so, you can get an Adcom GCD-575 for cheap and run the digital out of it into the GTP-760's digital input and you'll get excellent results. I know people have different views of whether D/A converters sound different or not, but I had an "OMG" experience the first time I let my GTP-760 do the D/A conversion for me.

I'm told that it's almost the equal of Adcom's GDA-700 D/A converter. Those units are snapped up real quickly whenever they appear on Audiogon, so there's buzz out there about them. Of course, you don't need the Adcom CD player, just one with a 75 ohm digital output.

Adcom rack-mount ears, anyone?

I'm dealing with some a*s-wipe who insists what he sent me were Adcom RM-3 rack ears measuring 2-15/16" long. His ebay listing showed the Adcom box and installation sheet. I got used ears with hardware-store bolts in a you-pick-em bag. The ears measure 3-15/16" which I take to be RM-4. He keeps asking me if I'm installing them correctly!

So, two questions:
    1. Anyone need some Adcom RM-4 rack-mount ears, cheap? They fit on that GTP-760!
    2. Anyone have any Adcom RM-3 rack-mount ears, cheap?

$44 from Adcom plus shipping seems a bit ridiculous. I'll take a hack-saw and a drill to these first!

I'm dealing with some a*s-wipe who insists what he sent me were Adcom RM-3 rack ears measuring 2-15/16" long. His ebay listing showed the Adcom box and installation sheet. I got used ears with hardware-store bolts in a you-pick-em bag. The ears measure 3-15/16" which I take to be RM-4. He keeps asking me if I'm installing them correctly!

So, two questions:
    1. Anyone need some Adcom RM-4 rack-mount ears, cheap? They fit on that GTP-760!
    2. Anyone have any Adcom RM-3 rack-mount ears, cheap?

$44 from Adcom plus shipping seems a bit ridiculous. I'll take a hack-saw and a drill to these first!
    They'd fit my GTP-600, too...no pressing need for them here (it happily sits on a rack-mounted shelf), but I might be interested if you can't find a home for them.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    They'd fit my GTP-600, too...no pressing need for them here (it happily sits on a rack-mounted shelf), but I might be interested if you can't find a home for them.
    The seller is happy to take them back but I figure by the time I go to the post-office, pay return shipping, and get ticked-off when he doesn't send me any refund, I'll be out $20. I'd rather give them away. They're a nicely made extrusion that would keep everything in complementary widths. If I don't hack/machine them while looking for real RM-3s, I'll let you know—or let me know if you find you have the need. Swap you for the PS-200?

Thread Information