Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: AV Component Front-ends

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    My HK 5 disc player is noisy but still working.
    You're lucky -- I burned through two of these in a row in in the early 2000's. Each one just out-lasted the warranty. I finally gave up, and that's when I bought the Denon I've had for several years.

Although twice bitten (but apparently not thrice shy) I recently purchased the HD 990 -- which is a phenomenal sounding player. Nonetheless, it has frozen on me at least a handful of times while changing tracks. The only remedy is to power cycle it, much like a PC ... hold the power button for a few seconds and eventually it simply shuts down.

Great sounding products ............ when they work.

Well - there is another tack I can take ... seems like prices are getting more affordable for the JBL AV2 pre-processor.

I've got enough Adcom Amps to use now, and a friend told me Saturday he wants to sell his Adcoms so he can get a Mark Levinson amp ...

I can get a tuner later if I need one, but - the real question is -
    will the AV2 play well with my mixed stack of vintage speakers
    (4341 mains, Lc2CH center, B380sub, L100T side surrounds, L20T rears)

Ideas? Comments?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Well - there is another tack I can take ... seems like prices are getting more affordable for the JBL AV2 pre-processor.

I've got enough Adcom Amps to use now, and a friend told me Saturday he wants to sell his Adcoms so he can get a Mark Levinson amp ...

I can get a tuner later if I need one, but - the real question is -
    will the AV2 play well with my mixed stack of vintage speakers
    (4341 mains, Lc2CH center, B380sub, L100T side surrounds, L20T rears)

Ideas? Comments?
    Well, I've had one in my Synthesis® One Array for over a year now. Fingers crossed, it's been a stellar performer. It's a Lexicon MV-5 in black clothing with a BassQ option that the Lex doesn't have. Of course, the Lexicon was a modification of an HK 745 receiver (which was a cheaper variant of the Lexicoan RV-5) without the amp and completely different case and display and rear panel layout, etc. Still, it's a beefed up HK at heart.

I recently got a second AV-2 with iPod dock at an insanely low price, and it now controls my Performance Series 5.1 set up. It's so much better than the Synthesis® SDP-5 (Lexicon MC-8) that it replaced, that I have no regrets whatsoever. It's more flexible, has more surround options, has HDMI, has iPod and USB connections, and it's quieter. Discernibly quieter. Better remote, too, as well as a mic and stand for calibration.

Still, if you get one and it dies one day after warranty, then it's on you. After all, I did say it's an HK at heart.
    Out.

Very cool thanks for ALL the info you have shared. Sounds like a great option!

One Question - do you watch any off-air, Sat, or Cable TV through that system?

I'd wonder what about multichannel TV shows - what does the decode?
    Most are stereo, but a few are in 5.1 sound. We're currently using a TIVOHD as a TV tuner - it outputs Dolby Digital or PCM ...

I think we can live with the AV2 outputting 1080i instead of 1080p - or I could run the OPPO BDP-93 HDMI direct to the TV as 1080p and run the rest in 1080i from the AV2 to a second HDMI port on the TV.

I can always get a tuner cheap if we just HAVE to have FM in the system ... with all the good music stations gone these days, its less important than it was 25 years ago ...

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Well, I've had one in my Synthesis® One Array for over a year now. Fingers crossed, it's been a stellar performer. It's a Lexicon MV-5 in black clothing with a BassQ option that the Lex doesn't have. Of course, the Lexicon was a modification of an HK 745 receiver (which was a cheaper variant of the Lexicoan RV-5) without the amp and completely different case and display and rear panel layout, etc. Still, it's a beefed up HK at heart.

I recently got a second AV-2 with iPod dock at an insanely low price, and it now controls my Performance Series 5.1 set up. It's so much better than the Synthesis® SDP-5 (Lexicon MC-8) that it replaced, that I have no regrets whatsoever. It's more flexible, has more surround options, has HDMI, has iPod and USB connections, and it's quieter. Discernibly quieter. Better remote, too, as well as a mic and stand for calibration.

Still, if you get one and it dies one day after warranty, then it's on you. After all, I did say it's an HK at heart.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Each one just out-lasted the warranty.
    Isn't it clever how that works?
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Great sounding products ............ when they work.
    Harman has always managed to have a lemon model or two in the lineup. This isn't a new concept for them.

One Question - do you watch any off-air, Sat, or Cable TV through that system?

I'd wonder what about multichannel TV shows - what does the decode?
    Most are stereo, but a few are in 5.1 sound. We're currently using a TIVOHD as a TV tuner - it outputs Dolby Digital or PCM ...

We don't watch much TV, maybe one or two shows a week: ice skating, awards show, maybe an episode of Glee if there's a guest we want to see like tonight. That will change when her favorite show Dancing With The Stars starts up. We always watch that down in the Two Jims Theatre. It's a ritual by now, I guess.

We've never had cable or sat, since we're not big TV watchers, so the system is fed by an antenna and a Samsung HDTV OTA unit. The Samsung goes component out direct to the projector and digital coax cable to the AV-2. The AV-2 will decode a Dolby 5.1 signal no problem, and I normally have it set to Logic7 TV to get the rears involved for 7.1.

Since we've been to the live show, I can tell you, the in house experience is a pretty good facsimile. In fact the experience is much better at home than in the studio for a number of reasons.

Since most HD TV is 720P anyway, you might find the AV-2 is a great companion as a video processor as well, but my Samsung box and projector are both in the back of the room, so I see no upside to running a 16 ft. cable to the AV-2 and a 20 ft. cable back to the PJ when a single 6 ft. cable will do the job.
    Out.

After all the dances, and missing a closeout deal on the JBL AV-2 (probably wasn't for me), I'm currently looking for a solid Integra DTC-9.8 processor ... from what I've read they are quite solid, and I can use various amps I already have to run my speakers ... seems like a good replacement front end for my system. Don't know what to do with the Harman - bounce it into a dumpster, prolly!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Only two years old and now landfill? That is not good. This is one example of how our accounting system lets us down... manufacturers should have to take back their old junk and fix it or properly recycle it. I suppose the bean counter/market mentality types would say that the market does correct itself by the fact that people like yourself won't buy another HK AVR... and to some extent that does work, but in the mean time you are out an AVR and Harman squandered the natural resources used to create and ship that item... we can't continue building and selling disposable products with our precious resources.

I know that many on this forum use HK AVRs, I am not sure if they do so out of loyalty to Harman or if it is due to the fact that HK products are typically being offered at very, very low prices.

We sell Integra, do they sound better? I doubt it... do they cost a bit more, usually. The main reason we sell them is because they come with a three year warranty... everybody's stuff breaks, but being able to get them fixed under warranty for a year longer than most other brands at the same relative cost is a big deal. Especially since most products that have a weak link will fail within that three year window. Ever wonder why most cheap electronics have a one year warranty?

Widget

I've heard through the grapevine the your "friend" even provides home delivery!!!

Obsolete
    Don't know what to do with the Harman - bounce it into a dumpster, prolly!
    Yeah, I don't know what we're supposed to do with all these boat anchors. There aren't enough boats for them. There should be a recycle center for them. Maybe I'll fire off an email to Harman today asking them what we're supposed to do with all our non-functional gear. They really should take it back and recycle it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yeah, I don't know what we're supposed to do with all these boat anchors. There aren't enough boats for them. There should be a recycle center for them. Maybe I'll fire off an email to Harman today asking them what we're supposed to do with all our non-functional gear. They really should take it back and recycle it.
    I wrote the harman rep that worked with me for last year problems that it had failed again ... well, I wasn't going to leave it connected to my good speakers with that runaway volume problem! Anyway, I told him I wasn't putting another dime into Harman gear - and that includes paying good money to ship that monster anywhere!

(Of the 3 HK AVR receivers I had recently, 2 were lemons ... not a good percentage)

There's that line from Einstein -
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ...

Obsolete
    There's that line from Einstein -
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ...
    We install SafeBoot over and over and always end up with different results...

At least I'm still able to provide myself with a good laugh in between all the tears.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I took a TV to Best Buy recently for recycling. They charged me $10 then gave me a $10 gift card in return. Looks like small stuff is just free.

You can look on their website for regulations by state. For Virginia they take:
    • Three items per household per day.
    • Nearly everything electronic, including tube TVs and monitors up to 32", flat-panel TVs and monitors up to 60", peripherals, DVD players, home and car audio, cell phones, MP3 players, and cables.
    • Desktop or laptop computers.
    • Small electrics, fans and vacuums.
    • We charge $10 for televisions and monitors, but you immediately receive a $10 Best Buy gift card good toward future purchase.
    • $10 fee does not apply to any Insignia®, Dynex® or VPR Matrix® products. Best Buy accepts these brands free of any charge.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Looks like the Integra DTC-9.8 is going to happen!!
    Now its up to Fed Ex to come through ...
    and me getting time to rerack everything!
    But I plan to pull everything out of the old SCAN Teak rack soon.

Tho I just need a single wide shelf where my DVD cabinet is now,
    I do plan to build an Altar of Audiophilia like my friend Steve did ...
    His is simply gorgeous!

Name:  vollmer-2011-02-26 014.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  45.3 KB

Obsolete
    Altar of Audiophilia

I'm glad you found a solution.

Is that a Bel Canto I see on the right top?

Now its up to Fed Ex to come through ...
    and me getting time to rerack everything!
    But I plan to pull everything out of the old SCAN Teak rack soon.

Tho I just need a single wide shelf where my DVD cabinet is now,
    I do plan to build an Altar of Audiophilia like my friend Steve did ...
    His is simply gorgeous!

Name:  vollmer-2011-02-26 014.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  45.3 KB
    Out.

Thread Information