Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 250Ti Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Hey, congratulations -
    I'm sure the speakers will be happier without all those metal cars and trucks inside, too!
    What a find! Now we know how the other damaged occurred!

Kids! Glad mine managed not to ever damage anything of value. Of course I had three girls. We used to enjoy crushing Matchbox Mercedes with a hammer around my house. My kids still have their Mini and Isetta models though. Thank doG for grille cloth!

I know just how the seller feels. These are tougher times than many imagine. One month with no paycheck can be absolutely devastating for people like even your neighbors you'd never imagine live such a precarious existence. Many out there are weighing whether to pay their mortgage payment, or their health-care premium, or to buy food, or heating oil. Some are luckier than most and some caused their own problems, but even those who lived lives of frugality are being hit hard these days.

Obviously this guy served his country if he was in Okinawa, and he apparently has a young family. Even though he now has your cash-in-hand, I'm betting it's already spent to pay existing debts. And I feel bad for him. Maybe I'm wrong but anyone with the presence of mind to purchase 250Tis new two decades ago must be a kindred spirit, of sorts. Do you know if he's now without music in his home, or do we assume from the dilapidated condition of his JBLs that he's moved on to a 50" flat-screen and a Bose HT system? If the former, I'd like to think about contributing some of my surplus speakers so he can at least listen to music in his house, at this time of year, for his kids' sake, if not his whole family. Do we know any more about his situation? Or am I projecting too much here?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    Does anyone have a link to new gaskets between the drivers and the cabinet?
    You can try these part numbers by calling JBL parts, or through your local JBL service station: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...250ti%20ts.pdf

Part #52671 is shown on the most current price list as: 52671 GASKET, REAR, 116A $0.72
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Punch
    You are not projecting at all...those are all valid points with me. Even though I am only 39, I have had a Vietnam POW-MIA bracelet on my left wrist since I was 18.

He has no music in the house now as far as I know. He said he hopes to get some speakers for his Denon pre-amp and amp in the near future. I told him to look at 240Ti's or he can get a nice set of NS-1000's for a decent price.

He bought the 250's for $3k back in 1990 and he only made $9,000 for the whole year as an E3. He said that he just had to have them when he just looked at them, and then when he heard them, they blew him away. He said that they put them on lay-away for him, and he just kept chipping away until he paid them off.

"Maybe I'm wrong but anyone with the presence of mind to purchase 250Tis new two decades ago must be a kindred spirit, of sorts." Exactly...when I was talking with him on the driveway, I told him that he was my hero. I could not believe he had the presence of mind as well.

I would give him my 4301's, but I am sending those to my buddy...horrible marriage since 1986...finally divorced her, and she took advantage of his good nature. He got his own place and was let go by his company a week later. They took his company car, his laptop, and his phone. I bought the 4301's from him in 1983 for $95. His dad was a JBL rep and they had 6 pair...these were his personal pair. He went from being an audiophile to his wife taking everything he loved. I just had them redone, and I am going to send them to him....they are still his in my mind.

Punch
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    You can try these part numbers by calling JBL parts, or through your local JBL service station: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...250ti%20ts.pdf

Part #52671 is shown on the most current price list as: 52671 GASKET, REAR, 116A $0.72
    So, should I just contact JBL Pro Service? Have you ordered parts from JBL directly.

I need:
    Part #52671
    Part #20253
    Part #21771

Thanks....

So, should I just contact JBL Pro Service?
    Yes. Just have the part numbers handy. If they don't have all of those there are flat paper gaskets for the 108H. Just look up an SR cabinet using a 2118 to get the P/N. You might want to get a spare set of screens for the 044's as well while you are at it. I have used Pro many times and they are really nice to deal with.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Punch
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Yes. Just have the part numbers handy. If they don't have all of those there are flat paper gaskets for the 108H. Just look up an SR cabinet using a 2118 to get the P/N. You might want to get a spare set of screens for the 044's as well while you are at it. I have used Pro many times and they are really nice to deal with.

Rob
    Thanks Rob.

That PDF file does not have a part number for the screens. Does anyone happen to have that info?

You can get them from the 4411 techsheet. Those would be silver though. If the screens are the same size as the 035 you can get the part number off the 4408 sheet. Those would be black. You could always spray paint them black if there is a size issue between the 035 and 044 screen.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Stu...ies/4411LR.pdf

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Stu...eries/4408.pdf

Rob

Cereal boxes work nice for cutting new gaskets. Fruit Loops has the best audio quality.

You can get them from the 4411 techsheet. Those would be silver though. If the screens are the same size as the 035 you can get the part number off the 4408 sheet. Those would be black. You could always spray paint them black if there is a size issue between the 035 and 044 screen.
    Screens are the same size (044, 035, 052, p/n 62711 SCREEN, PNTD $3.84USD EA), so are the string "retainers". Silver is no longer available anyway, in either the string or the screen. Straightening the screens is easy. Take them out and invert them on a pad of some kind (leather works well) on a table and work them from the inside with a spoon. Sorry, I don't see where a problem with the tweeter screen was mentioned so if this is extraneous just consider the source.

Punch
    I do not think there is an issue with them. Can you pop them off the front, or is it from the rear? I can easily pull the right screen away...I am not sure if that means it is broken. I will check it out. If I am going to place an order with them, I should just order them to keep for the future.

I do not think there is an issue with them. Can you pop them off the front, or is it from the rear? I can easily pull the right screen away...I am not sure if that means it is broken. I will check it out. If I am going to place an order with them, I should just order them to keep for the future.
    I'm still not sure what problem we're trying to fix. Tweeter bodies come out from the rear (inside the cabinet) but the screens come out the front, if you want them to.

If you're placing an order with JBL for sure get some of the rubber string o-rings that go around the tweeter screens to hold them to the aluminum tweeter body. They go bad and can/will crack if you remove them, and they're cheap. If you don't have the string/ring around the perimeter of the screen, the only thing holding it in is the tweeter's magnet or the tension of the screen's shape.

Punch
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'm still not sure what problem we're trying to fix. Tweeter bodied come out from the rear (inside the cabinet) but the screens come out the front, if you want them to.

If you're placing an order with JBL for sure get some of the rubber string o-rings that go around the tweeter screens to hold them to the aluminum tweeter body. They go bad and can/will crack if you remove them, and they're cheap. If you don't have the string/ring around the perimeter of the screen, the only thing holding it in is the tweeter's magnet or the tension of the screen's shape.
    Oh....so the screen comes out from the front. They look perfect, but if you pull on one of them slightly, the screen will start to pull out. Normal or bad o-ring? Should I not be able to pull it out with ease from the front?

Should I not be able to pull it out with ease from the front?
    Well, it should be darn difficult remove the screen without first removing the O-ring, but not if it's been messed with already. Like maybe a small child smashed it and Dad tried to straighten it. Not that that could have happened to yours!

If I am going to place an order with them, I should just order them to keep for the future.
    Exactly get them now while they are still in stock. Probably will be for a while but you never know.

Rob

Punch
    Exactly get them now while they are still in stock. Probably will be for a while but you never know.

Rob
    I will call them tomorrow, here are all of the numbers and descriptions:
    Part #52671 (8" gasket)
    Part #20253 (14" gasket)
    Part #21771 (104H gasket)
    Part #62511 (044 gasket)
    Part #62711 screen

I am dropping the speakers off on Tuesday for the new surrounds and dust caps. I did the cabs today with 0000 steel wool and then the Howard's Feed n' Wax....they look great.

Thread Information