Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 250Ti Official Thread

Punch

250Ti Official Thread

Since my WTB ad for my 250Ti's had almost 5,000 hits, I thought that I could continue my questions here along with a picture, history, and set-up thread.

The 250Ti's are getting delivered this morning. I just checked out this thread during a search, and I thought to build upon it:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ight=250ti+bus

I am trying to think of what else I can do to them while the drivers are out and getting refoamed. Even though I have been into hi-fi for almost 30 of my 39 years, I am a newbie at certain levels.

Do I need to do any useful mods while they are apart? Anything with the interconnects? The bus bars? The crossovers? Any upgrading at all?

Thanks....I will post pictures of the drop off and set-up later.

The most obvious answer is to build a pair of Charge Coupled crossovers for them.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

The biggest obstacles in enjoying your 250Ti's will be getting used to their lack of coloration, placing them in the right room, and finding the right amp and preamp for them; not that any one of these things is that hard.
    I wouldn't worry about modifying them.

Mike

Punch
    Even though the one needs new surrounds, I A/B'd them with the 166s, and you all said it perfectly when you described them as "laid back". It really is the type of speaker that you can listen to for hours. The 166 was definitely more "in your face" and "forward" as you all have also described.

I used my reference album for the first listening: Fagen's "The Nightfly". I have using that album as my go-to album for over 25 years...."Gaucho" or "Aja" are a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    I used my reference album for the first listening: Fagen's "The Nightfly".
    Digital re-mastered into vinyl? Or full DDD CD?

Just curious. It was the first CD I ever bought, the day it came out, even before I had a player to play it on.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Punch
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Digital re-mastered into vinyl? Or full DDD CD?

Just curious. It was the first CD I ever bought, the day it came out, even before I had a player to play it on.
    PM sent

So, I will wait before any mods.

Punch
    Wow, it was hard to get the drivers and others out. I used a tongue depressor as a shim and gently tapped it in...

Punch
    So far:

-took out all the speakers except the tweeter
    -the 104H....easy
    -108H
    ......right side, easy, small areas of stock on gasket
    ......left, nearly impossible to get off. The 108 and the gasket basically adhered to the veneer. I left a couple of marks but they are under the lip of the 108 (I know they are there), and then I discovered using the tongue depressor as a shim, and it worked well.
    -LE14H....tougher than the other...not bad
    -0000 steel wool to the veneer, wiped off with old t-shirt
    -Howard's Feed N' Wax (citrus + Beeswax) to a small test area. It seems to really deepen and enrich the finish. It does not darken it, but when you lose that dry look, it looks a little darker and wetter.

Will post pics tomorrow...

Yeah, I know they're only L250s with the LE14Hs re-surrounded on the front of the cone, with a repaired cut in a mid-range, but they sold for only $712, met reserve, and were only five-hours away! For some reason I couldn't get excited enough to follow them to the end: http://ebayitem.com/300374813574
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

My little brother called me from DC last night with a problem, one of the 14' drivers on his 250LE's has developed a buzz at low volumes. Does this mean he has damaged the coil and will need a total rebuild, and if so where in the local area would be recomended.
    Mark in ATL
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Punch
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Yeah, I know they're only L250s with the LE14Hs re-surrounded on the front of the cone, with a repaired cut in a mid-range, but they sold for only $712, met reserve, and were only five-hours away! For some reason I couldn't get excited enough to follow them to the end: http://ebayitem.com/300374813574
    That is the definition of will power....wow....the parts are worth more than that alone.

Punch
    Here is the journey....my ebay seller took the hour drive and dropped them off. He bought them new in Okinawa in 1990 when he was in the Air Force.

We carried them in at 630am. One speaker made a noise when we tipped it on it's side...he said, "Must be a Matchbox car that my kid dropped into the port". It was on the speaker that needed a new 104h dust cap and an LE14H-1 in need of a dust cap and surround.

Here is the owner saying his goodbyes....I felt bad for him. He did not want to sell them, but he said that he had to:

Temporary set-up:

THE 250Ti JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbl_daddy View Post
    My little brother called me from DC last night with a problem, one of the 14' drivers on his 250LE's has developed a buzz at low volumes. Does this mean he has damaged the coil and will need a total rebuild, and if so where in the local area would be recomended.
    Mark in ATL
    Have him run some sweep tones to isolate the noise. I had a vibration coming from one L250 crossover that was very difficult to isolate. There's a lot of wires that can rub and vibrate, although less so on the LE. But I'll wager he has a vibration, not a VC rub.

Hey, congratulations -
    I'm sure the speakers will be happier without all those metal cars and trucks inside, too!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Punch
    Does anyone have a link to new gaskets between the drivers and the cabinet? The 108H gasket, as I said, was the worst...it just fused to the wood, and I gently lifted it the best I could with a razor and then polished it with 0000 wool to just to smooth it out.

Or, maybe I can ask my tech who is doing the repairs on the LE-14's.

Thread Information