Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sonotube sub bass project

Where I'm at you find big SonoTube at the steel supply houses that sell rebar, and commercial construction supply companies. I have seen 48" tube and reckon there is even larger. The stuff is hell for rigid!

I have never made a tube enclosed speaker but wonder would you not model it normally? You could cap the open end and port it to tune it to where you want.

With 15" tube you would only need roughly 10" length per cubic foot. What does a 2226 want for a vented box? Less than four cubic feet I would guess without looking. Even at that you would only be 3.5 feet in length, if you crossed it out at 80Hz your still an octave away from a standing wave internal resonance.

Sounds like fun to me. I say go Ash!

JBL 4645
    I just phoned a few companies this afternoon in the local Bournemouth area and even they didn’t know what it was?

So is this only used in the USA only or (worldwide) and if worldwide would it not be undera different name?

Needle in haystack meaning anything because I have exhausted all keyword ideas for Google search within this county.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Where I'm at you find big SonoTube at the steel supply houses that sell rebar, and commercial construction supply companies. I have seen 48" tube and reckon there is even larger. The stuff is hell for rigid!

I have never made a tube enclosed speaker but wonder would you not model it normally? You could cap the open end and port it to tune it to where you want.

With 15" tube you would only need roughly 10" length per cubic foot. What does a 2226 want for a vented box? Less than four cubic feet I would guess without looking. Even at that you would only be 3.5 feet in length, if you crossed it out at 80Hz your still an octave away from a standing wave internal resonance.

Sounds like fun to me. I say go Ash!
    1audio

Well at present I’m waiting for return-phone call on the situation because the guys that are in the building business over here are just as puzzled as I am. LOL oh, dear this is going to be just fun locating the stuff. LOL

Right, that’s interesting (steel supply houses). So is the tubing made of MDF?

Yes a universal adaptation of selecting any tube for the turning.

http://www.forsite.co.uk/rapidobat.html

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...d.php?p=123390
    jump down to post #7...

Jack Bouska's use of material similar to Sonotube was UK-sourced Rapidobat.

JBL 4645
    It’s not looking good at the moment.

Just got a phone call and the poor ole guy who’s been in the business 25 years can’t find after an hours looking around the internet!

I want some names of the US companies so I can send an email to find out if the ship it to the UK under the same name or different name.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Toccata et fugue en ré mineur, Jean Sébastien Bach.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FXoyr_FyFw
    Yeah that’s what I’m talking about. I got 2001: A Space Odyssey playing Bluray, on the screen while in AUX mode on the AVR listening to the organ as the space station moves around the Earth.

The music works in some of the images, maybe a bit gothic.

From reading a few comments on the video seems like its starting a flame war. LMAO what bunch of, Muppets

JBL 4645
    Just gotten off the phone after 25 minutes and that has helped a lot because now I can get the money together and order around after Christmas, early January 2010 a space odyssey.

Even the chap was baffled at what I’d be using it for, until I mentioned its for sub bass speaker. He chuckled when I said “it’s for 10 foot sub bass”.

Anyway rough quote depending on VAT which goes back up in January to 17%.

If I had the money now, I do have to eat you know? So its £130.00 pounds forget the pence.

January £135.00 pounds so its only a £5.00 pounds difference.

The tubing is called Rapidobat its just a different name with competing brand names.

http://www.forsite.co.uk/rapidobat.html
    Cheers for the information Grumpy, your not as Grumpy as I thought you where, cheers it’s helped a lot.
    Also this tubing is used for DIY telescopes yeah that figures, but I already have reflector telescope.

Merry, oh I’ll just use the smiley.

Rapidobat????

I don't know man, I doubt it will sound as good as the genuine sonotube

Cheers, Ash.

If the sub dosen't work out,,,

"Also this tubing is used for DIY telescopes yeah that figures, but I already have reflector telescope."

You could use the tube to make a bigger telescope!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    "Also this tubing is used for DIY telescopes yeah that figures, but I already have reflector telescope."

You could use the tube to make a bigger telescope!
    Well if it doesn’t work of course as it will be trial and error.

One thing is the tubing has peel away part that allows the tube to unfold and this would need reinforcing along the, seem.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Cheers, Ash.
    No worries

Thread Information