Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4730a

Jbl 4730a

Anyone got any experince with JBL 4730A? Can't find much about it except the PDF and the fact that it's got 2226h, 2118h adn 2404h. It kind of looks like a never version of 4628b!?

I'm curious also...

I have 2118's and 2404's and looked over the crossover.

I won't use my 2226 with it since it's already earmarked for a 2-way system with Edgarhorns. But the concept looks interesting.

Ron sends....
    JBL Pro for home use!

I've ordred a pair now so we'll see if it is any good.

I will either use it like it is, or see how the 2404 will work with a 3 way system together with 4647b & 2445/2380.

Simple, high efficiency . . .

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    I've ordred a pair now so we'll see if it is any good.

I will either use it like it is, or see how the 2404 will work with a 3 way system together with 4647b & 2445/2380.
    Interesting, good show - keep us posted. I find the simplicity of the crossover appealing - dig the low insertion losses and resulting 97 db system efficiency. Straight 12 db/octave - easy to replicate. No L-pad necessary on the mid! Should be good for home hi fi, low power amp (similar to vintage applications). I have a DIY cab of almost the same dimensions with removable baffle and have the 2118s. Simple is good, easy to tweak - wonder how it would sound with the low crossover one octave lower (400 Hz). Many possibilities. MM

I got the 4730A today and wow... they really sound good I honeslty didn't expect too much of them, so I was shocked over the sound, I didn't expect them to play this good

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    I got the 4730A today and wow... they really sound good I honeslty didn't expect too much of them, so I was shocked over the sound, I didn't expect them to play this good
    HEY, nothing says joy like pictures how about showing what they look like - maybe we can't hear the sound, but pictures do say a lot! Thanks!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I'll post picture later, the thing is that I also got 2 pairs of 4647a with 2445/2380 yesterday so I haven't gotten the chance to play very much with the 4730A yet, neither takeing picutres, but it will come, probably later today! Firste impression though was that the 4730a sounded much better for hifi than the 4647a/2445/2380 combo

Poor picturequality but you get an idea of how they look Luckily the sound better than they look

clmrt
    Modern 4628 indeed!

I will get a new set of 4730a today. Cabinets are very good but honestly... they doesn't look very nice from factory if used indoor

So I wonder if it would be possible/OK to remove the paint to get the plywood look instead? Have anyone done this with JBL cabinets??

See post #8... you are no longer hosting that photo or the link has failed. This is why it is much nicer when people use this web-site's own picture hosting. Then the photos do not disappear!

I never saw this thread 9 years ago when it was first posted. Perhaps you can post the image again to this site?

Widget

The Newly accuired pair is the same I had many years ago, have not been used since I sold them

They are pretty good shape but the finish is still quite simple. But I guess the plywood is to rough and new paint probably is a better solution.

But sound is very good, probably the best sounding JBL PA I’ve used, very hifi like! Very simple to use since it’s 3-way passive, so a slight lowshelf is all needed to sound pretty good!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Those look nice. Hey is that Urie's amp??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

No Urei, Crown all the way

Thanks for the pics... they look great!

Widget

Thread Information