Thread: strange JBL 2402 seen on eBay

aust-ted

strange JBL 2402 seen on eBay

Hi saw this 2402 on ebay with two holes apparently drilled through the sides of the bell. Go to eBay item #Item number: 3732863867 to look at the pics.

The two holes appear to be of different sizes.

Can any of you wizards explain what might have been the purpose of these holes

Regards
    Ted

HenryW
    Dunno, but they sure are intentional. If this isn't factory, someone clamped it down, drill pressed, recessed and machined. Bunch of (pretty well done) work for a couple of holes.

Maybe this was part of a set strung across the top of a stage kind of like Christmas Tree lights....

Tom Loizeaux
    You know that the side wedges on the early 2405s were held in place by screws that went through the conical horn. Maybe these were a style of 2405s at one point? ...probably not a JBL factory modification.

Tom

railroad bullet

greetings from vacation in northern finland....ÖöÄå

I get to stay out until dark drinking...which is around 2am..

Anyways, those are the model 075-105 that were made by jbl for the railroad companys: tideland signals or general railway.

The 2405 "wedges" were field installed for different patterns and sometimes the 2405 throat was used instead of the bullet.

BUT BUT many times the diaphram was a special version that is NO longer made and will not match up sound-wise to a regular 075. And NEVER remove one - the lead wires are the actual aluminum voicecoil wire that was tinned.

sub

aust-ted
    Thanks guys

I am impressed by the depth of info on this forum. I wonder what this unit would have performed like with the prism + the bell. Can't see how it would go close to a 2405.

I bought this unit's mate on eBay, which did not have the holes, to make up a pair to play wth. Any tips on mounting it in a cabinet without the mounting ring which normally comes with these. My other unit is an 075 signature which has a mounting plate. I suppose I could machine a piece of Al plate and replace the screws which hold the front on with longer ones like in the 075. Any better ideas?

Regards
    Ted

Tom Loizeaux
    JBL made a clamp that gripped the 2402 and 2405 tweeters that could be mounted a couple of ways. You do see these on eBay from time to time. I think that would be your best solution if you didn't want to buy mounting plates from JBL.

Tom

aust-ted
    Tom

Thanks

Think I have seen them on eBay. Will keep an eye out for one. JBL appear to have made a few different types over the years.

There is another sort on eBay at present - look at item 3734202010. Cannot bid on these as they are restricted to US buyers.

Anyway as I wrote earlier should not be too hard for me to fabricate one from a piece of sheet aluminium using the one on my 075 as a guide.

Regards
    Ted

Thread Information