Thread: Denon AVR advise needed

Question Denon AVR advise needed

So I have a Denon AVR-2600 thats been doing fine for me for quite some time ...I like the Denon sound....

It currently has a problem....if the gain is turned up to cine levels,,,it goes into protection mode ...if left at grandpa levels its OK ....it is DPL1.

My options are to repair or replace ...I do need phono capability.

Sooo...are there any esp. good late models that have TT i/p and at least 100wpc and a better level of surround ,,,at reasonable prices ?

Since I only use it mebbe once a week,,a huge expenditure is not warranted

Oh yes..the old remotes SUCK...are the newer ones any better ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I'd change out all the speaker wires before replacing it. And try it with different speakers. Might also open it up and blow out all the dust bunnies.

Ok..good advise RD, but I went ahead and bought a Denon AVR-2105
    in nice shape from CL ( a 3 y.o model)....it gives me newer protocols , 90wpc, can do phono ,,it's 7.1 and does the auto setup from supplied mic..wont have time to switch into system right now, but it promises to be a nice unit.

http://usa.denon.com/AVR2105ProductSheet.pdf

http://usa.denon.com/ArchivedAVRecei...Model=AVR-2105

Denon's amazingly affordable AVR-2105 7.1-channel audio/video surround receiver combines the superb sound quality for which Denon is revered with all-format surround decoding and expanded AV control capabilities. The receiver's high-power amplifier is assignable for either 7.1-channel surround operation or 5.1 surround with amplified stereo listening in another room. The AVR-2105 includes many of the high-end features that distinguish Denon's higher-priced components, like its 7 discrete channels of amplification to drive all the main loudspeakers in a 7.1 home theater surround system (front left, center, right, mid left/right, and surround left/right): 90 watts per channel into 8 ohms from 20 to 20,000 Hz with less than 0.05 percent THD.
    For compatibility with all of today's advanced surround-sound formats, the AVR-2105 features multichannel-channel decoding of Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS 96/24 (5.1 for DVD-Video), DTS ES Discrete 6/1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, and DTS NEO:6 (Cinema and Music modes), as well as processing for Dolby Pro Logic IIx (for cinema, music, and games). Dolby Pro Logic IIx generates multichannel surround from any stereo (2-channel source), offering a choice of processing for your music and movie content: either a room-filling 6.1 or 7.1 channels. (The ".1" channel in all cases is a dedicated low-frequency effects channel, a passive signal intended for a stand-alone powered subwoofer.)
    The AVR-2105 also includes Denon's Auto Set-Up calibration, which simplifies the process of tailoring the receiver's performance for your home theater or listening room. Auto Set-Up analyzes and calibrates 6 critically important speaker settings: connections, phase, size, and frequency response. It also adjusts channel level and time delay. The calibration feature uses high-performance DSP processors and the finest available digital-to-analog converters (DACs). For best results, the company offers an optional, specially designed calibration microphone for use in calibration (model DM-S305). Of course, you can disable Auto Set-Up if you'd prefer to calibrate the receiver in the traditional manner.
    Since the majority of home theater speaker systems are built for 5.1, you may find yourself, in the short term, at least, with more amplifier power than your home theater requires. A function called Power Amp Assigned lets you use 2 of the amp's 7 channels to power a second zone so you can enjoy music, for instance, in the kitchen or bedroom.
    The AVR-2105's derives much of its high sound quality from its premium Analog Devices Hammerhead SHARC 32-bit floating point DSP processing. For exceptional resolution and dynamic range, the receiver uses premium Analog Devices AD-1837 24-bit, 192 kHz audio DACs on all channels.
    The AVR-2105 also includes a full complement of audio and video connections, including 3 assignable, high-bandwidth (100 MHz) component-video inputs. Video up-conversion radically simplifies connections to your TV, converting composite- and/or S-video sources to component-video without compromising video quality. If you're using a component-video-capable TV, you won't need separate composite- and S-video inputs in order to view composite- and S-video devices. Other versatile features include a high-quality AM/FM tuner with preset memory tuning and a newly designed, multi-line front-panel display that's easier to read and provides more information than the displays on earlier models.

-2 105
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Since I bought my Denon AVR-5308CI in April, I am now a Denon fan as well. It has 150W x 7, phone inputs and true stereo sub outputs. No complaints so far.

JBL 4645
    I’d say its to do with the impedance of the loudspeakers as my AVR used to clip out when playing What Lies Beneath towards the end there is some high levels of low end that go between (120Hz down below 20Hz) and my Control 5 wasn’t friendly enough on the Kenwood.

My friend has the same AVR and he also had the same issues not with the same film but something less and I later found out we both have speakers that don’t match the impedance values which is 6Ohms and we’re running 4Ohms.

So that’s why I use separate amps that can perform with my Control series, the show must go on at any level.

If you set the speakers to small you’ll reduce the shutting down issue, but if you take the level up, it will soon find point where it would shut down again, unless you haven’t already fried the voice coils on the HF tweeters.

Then why use small and shove all-the extra low end onto the sub where you wouldn’t be able to tell if the LFE.1 track is playing or not. Also you’ll be overtaxing the sub because you can’t feel hear the special discrete sub bass track, one might be few room nulls or dips and most likely peaks as well.

well, I got it installed & setup...modern electronics is sure much different than my older 1990's AVR (tho new one is made in Ch1na)

I watch DVD's in the BR ..so hauled out a tripod and set the mic ..got tape and measured all the distances and hit AUTO ....you input measurements during the process....the AVR figures volumes and delays....gotta admit that its the best my HT has ever sounded....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

OK ...I got the Denon AVR 2105 installed and trimmed....the sound is vnice....the fit & finish is first class ......BUT, it is Ch!na made and came with a channel issue (which is why I got it cheap) that was able to be worked around..PLIIx is great.

Before we go dissing it for having a problem at 3 y.o , the fact remains that it is replacing a Japan made Denon AVR that had protection mode problems when used loudly..

Despite 2 Denon AVR's with different problems ( my 2 Denon stereo receivers are perfect ) I still like the brand -bang for the buck-

mebbe mid level Ch1na gear will "be there" in a couple mo years

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I'd change out all the speaker wires before replacing it. And try it with different speakers. Might also open it up and blow out all the dust bunnies.
    it is possible that I induced the AVR2600's problem myself.....I ran it for a while with 4 ohm speakers....the guide shows only 6 or 8 being permissible.

Thread Information