Thread: In search for a 15" woofer to mate with my S2 Vitavox drivers...

In search for a 15" woofer to mate with my S2 Vitavox drivers...

Hello to you all!

This is my first post on this forum that I have been reading for so long.... Please pardon my English, French is my native language.

Well let's get right into the subject...

I just had the opportunity to buy a pair of S2 Vitavox drivers with horns (8cells very stiff and massive horns of about 40kg each...) and I am now searching to mate these drivers with a woofer...

I was thinking to use the S2 from 500Hz up to where it could go and a 15" woofer. The enclosure in which I want to put this woofer must be efficiency friendly so I guess something like VOTT A5 or A7 cabinet would be perfect to serve this purpose...

What brand and model of woofer would you put in these cabinets? Altec 515G, JBL LE 15", a rare pair of Vitavox unit? Do you think that the VOTT is a good idea for the S2. I know that there is little chance I will get anything under 50Hz with an A5, but high efficiency is so magical...

Thank you!

François

Thanks Stéphane I already this well known unofficial Vitavox website... It is quite interesting!

My idea is to share similar settings with Vitavox Klipschorn but by using a VOTT A7 cabinet that I just found during this afternoon.

Now... I must find which driver will be at ease up to 500Hz... Well in fact I now have my answer : I need an Altec 515...

Quote Originally Posted by calamean View Post
    . . . . I need an Altec 515...
    If you mean the 515b, yes. Otherwise, be aware there are different 515's; some are designed for bass reflex and some for horn. I haven't the model numbers sorted out in my head, but you might try searching this forum and the Altec user's forum.

Bass Bins for Horns

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/altec-users-board/ is a good place for Altec specific info

also the "beyond the Ariel" thread over at diyaudio.com has a huge amount of technical banter if you enjoy or can endure sifting through the posts...

You could also try the high efficency part of audioasylum....more slanted for short opinons...just remember that often free advise is worth exactly what you paid for it...

Thanks for both of your answers...

First of all I think that I must privilege old 515 models like the A, B or C with my pair of S2 drivers.

Speakerdave, you are absolutely right I need to find out about the differences between all the 515.

JoMoCo about free advicces... I do not know what to think about your note but I think I am there of my audiophile life because I listened and tried quite a few free advices given to me. If you never try well you never really achieve something personal. And by the links you gave me are excellent free advised links!

The S2 Vitavox are my favourite compression driver with the RH330 4 cell horns. The driver I run with my S2's are the Supravox fieldcoil 400's.
    Theses are a high compliance 15'' driver with 550,000 maxwells . The ref output is 102db 1w1m so they are sweet and move very little for big bass outputs. The other driver's would be the Great Plains Audio 15" drivers which also have high compliance and huge magnets.

Good luck

David

Thread Information