Thread: Valencia 846B Changes/Mods ???

Valencia 846B Changes/Mods ???

I am curious as to the consensus for the best use of $$$ on getting the most out of my Valencias. I love them to death but at times they seem a tad bit to dark. I use rear firing Fostex super-tweeters that I have a cap on and come in at about 18K for some sparkle, but they still seem a little overly mellow. I was wondering on on opinions of some possible changes for the best sound.

1. Cross over at 1.2K from 800.

2. Rebuilding existing crosses with newer components.

3. Different compression drivers (changing 806-8A to a 802-8A ??? or something else).

4. Other ideas.
    Thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundsound
    I am curious as to the consensus for the best use of $$$ on getting the most out of my Valencias.
    - The consensus builders have left this building and have setup camp over at AK . There they are free to recommend non-lansing components as SOTA replacements / free of all censure .

- Yes, I'd agree that largely Altec compression drivers can be labelled as "dark" ( little to no splash or sizzle, IME ) . I prefer the term neutral, natural, perhaps even grey sounding .

- Recommendations? I'd turn that Fostex around to face your ears , & then build a bonafide 3 pole network for the high-pass ( at 9 or 10K ) . Then you'll see if that Fostex tweeter can add some extra excitement into the overall sound .

- The problem with simple single cap HP systems is that they need to be crossed over really high ( to smooth out the rough stuff down below ) / and as a consequence, too much sensitivety is sacrificed .

- Build the UHF hipass circuit of the 4333 or L300 for your tweet .

L300 (N333) network

><

How to improve the 846b.

a 1200 hz crossover will improve sound. A pair of great
    sounding JBL 077 tweeters from 7khz up will make a
    dull sound of the 846b come ALIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - The consensus builders have left this building and have setup camp over at AK .
    Is there a consensus over there?

Is there a consensus about any of this audio stuff? It seems to me you can find a group of diehards that will promote just about anything imaginable. A buddy of mine said the other day, I don't trust reviewers because they are lying whores and I don't trust individuals on the web because they may or may not hear the way I do.

All that aside, I agree with adding a proper tweeter... don't know anything about your Fostex tweeter, but a well designed tweeter with a proper network should open things up a bit. I know there have been a couple of threads here where this approach was taken... there may even be some good info there if you can weed through all of the personalities.

Widget

Rebuilding the stock crossovers, rewiring the cabinets, and replacing the connectors would be a good starting point before modifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - The consensus builders have left this building and have setup camp over at AK . There they are free to recommend non-lansing components as SOTA replacements / free of all censure.
    I have posted the Valencia stuff here, as well, and "Search" will find my recommendations:

1) 806A does not have extension beyond 13 kHz, even with Altec's half-hearted attempt at squelching the midrange "shout" in the stock Val crossovers.

2) Adding the Altec HF comp network 30923 will get a bit more.

3) Active crossing with generic active HF comp will "push" them to 16 kHz. Don't quote me on these frequencies 'til you find the actual measurements I've previously posted in this forum. I didn't listen to them very long like that. They may sound like ass.

4) Augmenting with a tweeter has "issues" integrating with the 811 horn. Our best success with that came with mounting the tweeter in the horn mouth. That data's posted here, too.

5) A better approach is to upgrade the compression driver to an Altec type that can actually play VHF out to 20 kHz, such as 802-8G or 902-8 and using a crossover with the requisite HF comp to play them up there, such as Model 19. For DIY, I have provided an updated design schematic, also posted here.

6) That'll get Model 19 performance crossed at 1.2 kHz in the 846B Valencia cabinet.

7) Your current addition of a supertweeter at 18 kHz fails because there's a huge hole in the bandwidth and the mids remain overly forward....

Hi,

I am a new member and owner of a pair of Altec 846B. How do these compare to any Klipsch speakers

Thread Information