Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recent Forum Turmoil

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Tom Roper
    Seems to me when users are required to post under their actual name instead of assumed screen names, they will be less likely to say anonymously what they might be ashamed to say in person.
    My $0.02
    I would support that kind of a forum if it were paid subscription with a hefty fee to keep the riff raff out. And it would have to be a secure site.

jbl
    Hi Don,
    Most of the "turmoil" that I have seen on the forum, was the result of some of the same members responding to this thread. The issue was usually a new member asking a question about the L-100's. The replys were both arrogant and insulting. The person was either laughed at or told right out that the L-100's suck. All those people wanted was information regarding a problem they were having. I have often been tempted to respond to this abusive behavior but I felt that it was your (Don's) forum and that I would look bad. So I let it go. Now I see some of the same members setting rules? Don, if those members don't like the topic, no one is twisting their arms to answer. What gets me the most is that those members are perhaps the most qualified to help the person asking the question! Perhaps if they considered every question as if it were about the 4343 or 4345, they would show the same respect.

Ron

Originally posted by jbl
    Most of the "turmoil" that I have seen on the forum, was the result of some of the same members responding to this thread. The issue was usually a new member asking a question about the L-100's. The replys were both arrogant and insulting. ... Perhaps if they considered every question as if it were about the 4343 or 4345, they would show the same respect.
    Well, in quite un-veiled, and accusatory fashion that statistically suggests myself, and at the least, Giskard. Interesting. Maybe since we are "out here" more often, regardless of helping or humoring, we (I) more frequently get tagged with poorly interpreted posts. That seems statistically valid, and moots a portion of your post.

As to the "arrogant" accusation, that I believe is baseless. I presently OWN three pairs of L-100's in my extended family, and am responsible for having bought them, and for their upkeep.

Therefore, since I have the following PAIRS of speakers:
    3 - L100's
    2 - 4313B's
    2 - 4301B's
    1 - 4406's
    1 - 4345
    1 - EV QRx 115/75's
    2.5 - EV Eliminator Monitors

I have ZERO qualms about sharing my personal opinion.

And, finally, dood, I do consider every question as important as every other, whether they are specifically about opinions or direct knowledge of any of my speaker clan.

Maybe this will help you interpret my willingness to humor, and help. Likely, not, and you'll spite me for this directness.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    OMG!
    "Respect" and "L100" in the same post.
    Game over man!
    We're doomed!

Dammit! Now I need a group hug...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Figge
    i think they were combined just to save space on the server hdd.

jbl
    I don't recall mentioning names. Guilty conscience?
    Ron

Obsolete
    Don,

I need a new icon. I need the Mountain Giant from Age of Mythology first kicking an L100 Century and then smashing it with his club.

Thanks!

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Figge
    i think they were combined just to save space on the server hdd.

Originally posted by jbl
    I don't recall mentioning names. Guilty conscience?
    Oh, man - don't be nutters! I have nothing of the kind - your post was quite implicit to those schooled in statistics... Don't be denying the intent of your post - that is insulting. I get it. You not only think me arrogant, now you imply I am a dope.

I only was trying to dissuade you of a misperception. Obviously, I cannot. I am sorry.
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-09-2004 at 11:36 AM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

JBL

I do value your input into this topic and anything that can be done to make this forum a civil place is worthwhile. However, I can't aggree that the issues that sparked this thread were related to L100 bashing. Neither of the recent bans had anything to do with a discussion of the L100. There is no question that pointing out the deficiencies of the L100 has become somewhat of an inside joke around here. However, I have no means to control others opinions without turning into a censor - a role for which I am neither equipped nor desire. Personally, I have seen virtually every JBL system trashed by someone at some point in time on this very forum. It kind of goes with the territory if you are going provide an open venue for discussion. However, as soon as the discussion turns personal, a line has been crossed and this is where I step in. If you read the posting guidelines you will see that this is in fact the one and only true "rule" that applies.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Dammit! Now we gone and woke the Giant!!

Go now, sleep well, oh Giant - we here will get on with more lofty endeavors, I assure you...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

jbl
    Just expressing my opinion. Nothing personal. I never mentioned names only my displesaure with how a potential new member was treated. I'm entitled to that and that's where it ends for me.

Ron

Hmm,

Would appear the damn Yankee needs to tip toe through the tulips next time.

I recall years ago stiring the foundations of one particular cult audio religion when I compared my JBL's against planar or panel speakers like Maggies in an audio club newsletter.

The feedback I got was most unwelcome as they took it personally even though my article was based on science rather than opinion. Its the issue of "ownership and pride here" and naturally people don't like seeing that bagged no matter how subtle and I think its more politically correct to say model B is technically superior to model A than model A is crap in my experience because I've owned them all...blah..blah.

Perhap we all need to think more carefully before we mix opinion and fact in our postings.

Ian

Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Would appear the damn Yankee needs to tip toe through the tulips next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information