Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Forum Turmoil

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Recent Forum Turmoil

In four years of running a forum on this site, I had previously only banned one member after a blatant personal attack. This weekend, I have had to ban two. I think that this is just an anomaly. However, to ensure that it does not get out of hand, I have posted the forum rules as a sticky to the begining of each forum. Further, I am opening up this thread for comment and suggestions on how to handle such incidents in the future. My approach to date has been quite rigid in banning inappropriate conduct. However, I am open to suggestions.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

IMO, the "offending" individual was hell-bent on being cross at a Forumite. I spent (too...) many reply posts trying to mitigate their anger, and help them see that there can be many (often subtle) interpretations to the written word.

A simple, blunt reply does not mean , it may mean , or even . In any event, if seen through, it almost always ends with .

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete

Re: Recent Forum Turmoil

I guess the forum rules need to be posted conspicuously and members need to use the PM feature to resolve differences. If a forum member sees a post that they feel is inappropriate they should PM the author and if that doesn't rectify the situation they should use the "Report this post to a moderator" feature.

I guess I'd like to see "bans" given a second chance.

Re: Re: Recent Forum Turmoil

Originally posted by Giskard
    I guess I'd like to see "bans" given a second chance.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Yeah I think they should get a second chance after a warning. We all fly off the handle sooner or latter.

Rob

Maron Horonzakz
    Two other forums I frequent are having the same problem. The only solution they found was instant justis. Come down hard & kick them off the forum.

Welcome to the world of forum owner/moderator. There are many sides to this coin. On one hand this is not a democracy, it is more like a home. So, as the home owner you set the rules. I feel each should be dealt with on a case by case basis. You can post guidlines for people to be in the know, but how you enforce them I think is dependent on the infraction. With over 2700 members at AK, we have banned less than 10. Some of these were blantant attacks on long standing members, some were guys that just wouldn't leave well enough alone (even after warnings), while others were just trolling to make trouble. Others came into line after a PM let them know what was expected.

Obsolete

Re: Recent Forum Turmoil

Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    However, I am open to suggestions.
    Don, I would like to have the following emoticons added to the smilies if possible:

hand grenade toss - :nade:
    small mushroom cloud - :shroom:
    fellow weeping :boohoo:
    universal "no whining" sign :nowhining:

Thanks
    Last edited by 4313B; 06-30-2004 at 07:46 AM.

I also suggest:

:search: - icon that matches the underused utility button

:forgive me if I shoot myself: - we've covered that questions innumerable times and I simply cannot suffer another go at it

: onholiday: - I'm too bored with this Thread to bother

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Outstanding additions Bo!

I think I can probably address all of these requirements. For now, I have updated the Forum Rules to make the very first guideline a plea to search the forum before asking a question.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Tom Roper
    Seems to me when users are required to post under their actual name instead of assumed screen names, they will be less likely to say anonymously what they might be ashamed to say in person.
    My $0.02
    Last edited by Tom Roper; 06-30-2004 at 09:51 PM.

Maron Horonzakz
    If you drop the last Z you have my last name. I have never been ashamed or afraid to use my name on any forum. I dont understand why people use these crazy monokers.

This forum compared to others is free of such problems.

I am inclined to think that posting "rules" will have the opposite effect, as it raises the awareness of poor conduct rather than people going about their business posting natural questions and answers.

People become cynical of each other and watch to catch each other out...thats what's evolved on diyaudio.com since they bought in the rule book.

The other thing is if you are tired or are in an arrogant mood, stay away from the forums. Snide remarks are what starts forum riots, there are no winners, its takes two..always.

I would like to see the current policy maintained with a twist, if someone goes off and the other responds, ban them both.

I would also like to think that this thread will be erased when we are done, its un attractive.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 07-01-2004 at 08:14 AM.

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Maron Horonzakz
    I dont understand why people use these crazy monokers.
    Because the World Wide Web is full of skanky wankers who can do anything they want with your name. I cringe every time I see an employee's name spelled out in the forum, especially now that we've had bots download the entire forum content.

I think you've got some good points there Ian.

Thread Information