Thread: K2s9800

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

K2s9800

The 2003 Home Entertainment/Stereophile high end audio video show started in San Francisco today.

JBL Synthesis and Runco partnered with a fairly large set up. They were using the JBL K2S9800s as the left and right front speakers. They were also using a large 18" sub that was a bit over powering. It was great to hear the K2s. However when we asked them to play some music through them, they still had the sub and other Synthesis speakers on in a surround mix so it was difficult to really evaluate them. Since Runco was footing part of the bill, they were not very interested in giving stereo only demos. The $100K 3 chip DLP from Runco did have a great picture though.

After the demo we talked with the JBL factory rep who told us that they have sold 300 pairs in Japan. So far there are no dealers demonstrating the K2 in the US. It is no wonder that they have not sold a single pair yet in the US. The pair I saw at the show are the only pair in North America that are not at the factory! At least they are showing them at the shows... I guess it is a start.

Another high point of the show was the new TAD home speaker system... no horns but it does have a concentric mid tweeter with a wave guide.

Rex Mills
    Mr Widget..Thanks for the report. I hope JBL will soon get the K2 out to some dealers. I am anxious to hear it.

When I talked to Greg Timbers at CES, he stated that JBL had sold six pairs in the US. JBL is using the "Synthesis" dealer network for representation in the US.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

That is odd... you would think the Western Regional Sales Rep for JBL would know that 6 pairs have been sold and proudly state it.

He did say that the speakers were available through both Synthesis and JBL Home Audio dealers. The problem isn't that JBL won't sell them, it is that too few people will get the chance to audition them. The dealers CAN sell them, but many are either not interested or unaware of them.

Yesterday at the HE 2003 show was the Trade Only day and was the day JBL and the other exhibitors were showing their product to dealers to get them excited about writing the big checks to put these products into their show rooms.

I'll go back on Sunday and see if any new dealers have picked them up. I would love to listen to them in a non-home theater set-up. The Rep did invite us to go to Northridge to audition them in their listening room, I may have to try that approach.
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 06-06-2003 at 11:49 AM.

Hey, Mr. Widget...

JBL talks about Frequency Response: 45Hz – 50kHz, but mentions a "Low Frequency-Extension: 35Hz (–10dB)". They don't mention a separate sub - is that how they achieve it, or how?

Interesting, that 15-in is riding on an Alnico motor. Here we go again...
    Last edited by boputnam; 06-06-2003 at 12:42 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Interesting...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

For stereo music, I would assume most people would not use a sub.

I have heard that these speakers are voiced similarly to most "JBL for Japan" speakers with the milder bottom end that is apparently preferred there. At this show since they are being used in a home theater there was an added sub stuck in the corner. It had an exposed 18" driver but I didn't check it out up close. My guess would be that it was a 2242 in a 8-10 cu ft box. It was not adjusted to my taste as it's presence was quite noticeable. It didn't seem to do the real infrasonics either. They were playing some modern "Top Gun" type thing with jets and missiles and the explosions were more boom than earthshaking.

K2S9800 Network

Got it. Just curious what they meant by that "Low Frequency Extension" verbage.

Hey - for all you crossover builders and Charged-Couple topology buffs, here's what the .pdf sez...
    Last edited by boputnam; 06-06-2003 at 12:26 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

K2S9800 Network

here...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete

Re: K2S9800

"JBL talks about Frequency Response: 45Hz – 50kHz, but mentions a "Low Frequency-Extension: 35Hz (–10dB)". They don't mention a separate sub - is that how they achieve it, or how?"

"Got it. Just curious what they meant by that "Low Frequency Extension" verbage."

"usable response" is defined as the - 10 dB point, that's all the "extension" verbage is referring to.

"Interesting, that 15-in is riding on an Alnico motor. Here we go again..."

Yes, but it incorporates JBL Flux Stabilizing Rings! It's an underhung design with short coil and long gap. It also uses dual mirror imaged spiders to help reduce distortion.

The following is fairly interesting:

My vote goes for the 2235H. Much flatter to the roll-off point.

And, thanks for defining "extension"!

Now, will they tell us if the 1500AL is positive?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Well, the Japanese market doesn't much care for the fuller sound of the 2235H. The K2-S9800 has a whole lot more going for it than just the 1500AL

Positive voltage to the red terminal yields forward cone motion...

Thread Information