Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SACD/DVD-A ......Help

SACD/DVD-A ......Help

So I dont own any SACD/DVDA's ......but I did hear one that sounded great (2 channel) ............

I'd like to get a combi player and hopefully it will have a better DAC than my 1991 Sony ES deck (tho I have no complaints with it)

Would be used 2 channel only, not even hooked to the HT

Looked at the Oppos and bumped into this Yammy

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...l?CNTID=451767

the details say (FWIW)...........

The DVD-S1700 is compatible with both DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD. These multi-channel music formats provide a surround sound music experience that is much more natural and lifelike than normal stereo. It delivers sound quality that is superior even to some more expensive players for a number of reasons. It uses high performance 192kHz/24-bit audio DACs for all channels. The Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio circuits are completely independent and optimized for each format (the Super Audio CD circuit is extremely simple and straight). This guarantees highest quality with both types of disc (format selection is provided). An Audio Direct can be selected to ensure that no interference from the video circuitry can affect the sound.

the thing is available for $99 shipped (MSRP $449)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882115203

Q ? ...Is it worth pursuing and is it the right player for my intended use ?

(yeah, I've searched the web..but sometimes you guys's opinions are more honest)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Got my OPPO dv981 for $99 - normal retail was around $200 - not currently in production but you can find them used pretty cheaply. It does all of the above SACD, DVD-A, and HDCD, plus it does Dolby, DTS etc from DVDs AND had the upconverting technology as well. I'm real impressed with mine, and TiDome has one as well ...

Or, get the new one that also does Bluray for $499!
    http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/
    (think TiDome got one of those too!)

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    So I dont own any SACD/DVDA's ......but I did hear one that sounded great (2 channel) ............

I'd like to get a combi player and hopefully it will have a better DAC than my 1991 Sony ES deck (tho I have no complaints with it)

Looked at the Oppos and bumped into this Yammy

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...l?CNTID=451767

the details say (FWIW)...........

The DVD-S1700 is compatible with both DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD. These multi-channel music formats provide a surround sound music experience that is much more natural and lifelike than normal stereo. It delivers sound quality that is superior even to some more expensive players for a number of reasons. It uses high performance 192kHz/24-bit audio DACs for all channels. The Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio circuits are completely independent and optimized for each format (the Super Audio CD circuit is extremely simple and straight). This guarantees highest quality with both types of disc (format selection is provided). An Audio Direct can be selected to ensure that no interference from the video circuitry can affect the sound.

the thing is available for $99 shipped (MSRP $449)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882115203

Q ? ...Is it worth pursuing and is it the right player for my intended use ?

(yeah, I've searched the web..but sometimes you guys's opinions are more honest)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

This decision requires some thought. Primarily because you intend to use the player for analog output only. The differences in the varying level of DAC quality in players can be significant, although in the upper end of the food chain the differences tend to blur. As a dedicated player with no HT use, I'd be looking at a more expensive choice in order to get the best DAC for my bucks. If you "might" someday task the player with HT duties then the choice is more complicated. Bang for buck for analog-only duty, the Denon players seem to rise to the top of many lists. Sony does too.

There's a thread over on Audiokarma about a $36 Yamaha that does SACD/DVA. I think it was even free shipping. But it doesn't come in black!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=259113
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    There's a thread over on Audiokarma about a $36 Yamaha that does SACD/DVA. I think it was even free shipping. But it doesn't come in black!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=259113
    that link takes us to your post about a $36 HK, and tracking the eBay number to the deck that appears not to even do SACD ($39)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I'm using a harman-kardon DVD player I bought as a re-furb from their Ebay store about a year ago. I think it cost $36 and appeared to be brand-new. Lauded for its audio converters, I've used it solely for CDs and have no idea how a DVD looks through it. Model was similar, if not the same, as item #390109466712 from Harman listed right now. Sounds great in my upstairs system: Soundcraftsmen DX4200, Crown PS-400, JBL L7. I used it to replace an older TOTL Sony that had a lot of age on it and I felt the sound really improved.

Harman Kardon DVD 38
    "Plays a wide range of formats, including DVD-Video discs, DVD-Audio discs, CD audio discs, CD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, WMA, MP3, Windows Media Audio, JPEG still images and VCD discs"

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Or, get the new one that also does Bluray for $499!
    http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/
    (think TiDome got one of those too!)
    \

In the $100 price range you are looking at hardware that is intended mainly as a digital transport, and analog outputs are more of a second thought quality-wise. If you want to get into high-res audio you deserve to be looking at better analog quality. Look at some of the Denon DVD/SACD players, perhaps used, and expect to pay more than $100.

This just popped up in a similar thread at AVS:

http://www.dakmart.com/product_info....ducts_id=11217 Looks like a good bet.

Be advised that you will need a monitor hooked up to complete your setup for any player of this type.

I've been looking around the different player sites on the net (even seeing rdgrimes in a couple of the Oppo threads) and was surprised to learn that SACD players generally don't have a digital output stream like a CD player does. Some of the better ones evidently do, but it's a different kettle of fish than buying a cheap CD transport with digital out and running it into a nice DAC. Seems the SACD players do the digital to analog conversion onboard and (again, mostly) output analog audio. So buying a cheap SACD player might possibly stick you with a sub par onboard DAC if I'm understanding this mess correctly.

I'd be all over that HHB player Stephane linked to if it'd do Blu-ray. Maybe they'll have a Blu-ray compatible model out by the time I've read the entire internet's posts on the subject (just one Oppo BDP-83 thread was over 500 pages).

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    This just popped up in a similar thread at AVS:

http://www.dakmart.com/product_info....ducts_id=11217 Looks like a good bet.

Be advised that you will need a monitor hooked up to complete your setup for any player of this type.
    that may be just the ticket....I've got a couple of Denon receivers that I like...

can a laptop sub for the setup monitor ?

thanx for link ( I know nothing abt Dakmart ..is it related to the old DAK ?? )

LATER EDIT: I went ahead and ordered the Denon ....I dont give a RA abt blueray (even in my HT) and this player will be for 2 channel audio ONLY

JBL 4645
    I’d look for one that can also player that can support bluray. I must say its taken this long for perfect image/sound to catch and I’m sure glad I brought one, DVD is just a last resort now.

that link takes us to your post about a $36 HK, and tracking the eBay number to the deck that appears not to even do SACD ($39)
    You didn't look far enough into the thread.

This is what they're buying: http://www.buy.com/prod/yamaha-dv-s5...203086305.html

Yamaha DV-S5860 DVD Player - DVS5860SL
    DVD+R/RW, DVD+R, DVD-R/RW, CD-RW - DVD Video, Video CD, SVCD, DVD Audio, SACD, CD-DA, Picture CD, DivX, MP3, WMA, JPEG Playback - 1 Disc(s) - Progressive Scan - Silver

This product qualifies for Free Shipping.
    List Price: See Details $174.99
    Price: $35.99
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I’d look for one that can also player that can support bluray. I must say its taken this long for perfect image/sound to catch and I’m sure glad I brought one, DVD is just a last resort now.
    You really are unable to read him tell us 3 times that he doesn't care for BluRay - I think the key phrase was
    "I dont give a RA abt blueray (even in my HT) ..."

So, he WON'T look for one, no matter what YOU bought ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    You really are unable to read him tell us 3 times that he doesn't care for BluRay - I think the key phrase was

"I dont give a RA abt blueray (even in my HT) ..."

So, he WON'T look for one, no matter what YOU bought ...
    too subtle, I guess ???? ( I'll be more direct next time..)

Bluray ? We ain't got no bluray. We don't need no bluray ! I don't have to buy any stinkin' bluray !!

(was that more direct, HJ ?? translatable into UKish ?)

LATER EDIT: I went ahead and ordered the Denon ....
    I have a Denon universal that I think does the job quite nicely and the SACD's I have I generally play 2 channel only.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thread Information