Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with crossover 2440/2360 and 2405

Hi, Aktivkampi -

thanks very much for pictures and info! Very helpful, and all looking extremely cool

I'm in the middle of a similar project: with the 2445J driver / 2360 horns as centerpiece. Right now I am fiddling with tweeter integration, and trying out both the 2404H and the 2405 in different mounts and crossover configurations. Also trying out different bass/mid units: the 2204, the 2226 and the E130. Nothing decided yet, but all is gradually coming togehter.

jerv,

Please keep us posted as you go, I'm thinking of something similar for my next project.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

hello aktivkampi!

your system looks extremly nice, really gives a high-end gloss to the (plausible guess>) high-end sound.
    (i saved the pictures to my harddrive, i hope thats ok)

ive used the 22o6 to at nearly the same frequencies as you, and i find it a wonderful driver with lots of snap (i love snap). it very well may be the perfect driver for this application, considering the size vs output vs bandwidth in order to fit the wonderful 236o. small cluster, big impact!

with passive networks i cant help you, but i can recommend you to get a digital crossover at least temporay to try things out more easy. costs some money, but saves years of soldering! and you can get back to passive anytime once you found the perfect xo.
    if you want me to try things out with my related setup for you, id be happy to help out.

cheers from vienna
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

Hi Demon,

thank you for your positive feedback, I also thought of buying a digital crossover (behringer dcx 2496). I think it's the same model as you use. I'll let you know when the behringer arrives, maby you'll have some good tips for me......

Greetings Guido

(the man who visited Vienna two weeks ago and I must say, it's very very nice city..... and I love "große Braune")

I believe no passive network can compensate for the 2 some odd feet between the Mid & VHF drivers...integration with that big bi-radial isnt going to be easy...tho it sure looks good.
    Try the Behringer...tho we prefer XTA

Quote Originally Posted by mikeharris View Post
    I believe no passive network can compensate for the 2 some odd feet between the Mid & VHF drivers...integration with that big bi-radial isnt going to be easy...tho it sure looks good.
    Try the Behringer...tho we prefer XTA
    I'm used to the DBX driverack, but as long as the job is done, it's all good... and I'm in love with the horns!

I agree that this will be hard to do with a passive crossover due to the long delays involved.

The DBX is a step up from Behringer...I think the BiRadial evolved as a two way solution...and integration of the vhf was not a priority

well, behringerpolicy is not to be better, but cheaper then the others wich they copy.
    if you never used an active crossover, im sure you want to know that it can be noisy (constant noise) as hell with ultra-efficient horns/drivers like the 236o IF you get the volume changed BEFORE the signal hits the crossover. because even if there is just little noise out of the crossover, the amps boost this according to their gain-factor, and goin into 118dB@1m@1W even some miliwatt of constant noise can be quite audible.
    if you have, on the other side, a six-channel volume control AFTER the crossover (like for example a multichannel (pre)amp) you will never experience noticable noise coming out of the crossover because its way more padded down (usually), leaving the amps not mistaken noise for signal.
    but then its great, because you can use a bit-true 24/96 digital signal to go into the DCX, giving you more dynamics (and it sounds better to my ears). AES3 standard but the DCX works -mostly- with SPDIF too.

the active-XO-horn-guys im connected with around here all share this problem, and many of them simply use the DCX with a multichannel-amp.
    oh yeah, you would need an amp for every way, 6X mono after the behringer. cables can cost something too, if you have to get a bunch of them like you would.
    and, oh yeah, i see your system has four ways that means you would actually need TWO behringer DCX.
    there might be a better crossover out there!

sounds complicated, IS complicated. i can still recommend it...

cheers,
    mikey

ps: "grosse braune" are doubled espressi with a shot of milk. i love them too only without the milk..!
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by aktivkampi View Post
    Hello to everyone......

Just finished my project, now I'll post some pictures. Hope you'll like it. Now I'll do some experiments with the passive filtersection between the 2360 and the 2405. I'm thankful for any advice, specially for passive EQ for the 2360 and the 2440....

Merry Cristmas to all

greetings Aktivkampi

Wow I like the colour, what is it copper colour spray paint?
    It surely makes it look different from the ugly black the reason its black is that it won’t be seen though the screen or prevent the projection light reflecting onto bright objects behind the cinema screen.

Thread Information