Thread: Lsr2328p

lfh

Lsr2328p

Hi all,

I'm shopping for decent surround monitors on a tight budget (and I need 6-8 of them) and wonder if anyone has listened to the new LSR2328P:s? (The only hits I've found for 2328 are related to the old horn throats.)

Regards,
    Fredrik

Do you mean the LSR 6328? Here's a quick review with a picture: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may0...les/jbllsr.htm

Always wanted a set but have discovered the large format drivers instead.

Cheers,

David

There really is an LSR2328 ... OP's link goes to the JBL page.

I've not heard them, ... what are your mains?

lfh
    I've tested both the LSR6328 and the LSR4328 for another application, and they're nice speakers IMHO. Given that they drop acronyms such as LSR and EOS in the LSR2328 data sheet, it might be sort of an "LSR4328 on the cheap". I don't want to spend anything for the AES/EBU interface, RMC, and remote control functionality of the 4328:s, since none of that is needed or wanted.

Unfortunately I haven't found any verbose specs of the LSR2328 (E.g. they state "Frequency Range 37 - 20 kHz" without specifying any tolerances), so either they've "dumbed down" the design and specs are poor (unlikely), or they don't brag about it in order not to cannibalize too much on LSR4328 sales...

As for mains, going with stereo subs and smaller monitors does the trick for me these days. Should the need for LFM:s arise, I could always dig up these monsters I built a couple of years ago.

The Lsr2328p is the lower cost alternative to the LS6328; both were designed as small format studio monitors. While the 6328 gets rave reviews the 2328 gets poor reviews, even by the low end home studio crowd.

The response and performance of even the lower end unit will far exceed the requirements of main and secondary surround applications. BUT, why would you want to use a studio monitor for such an application? The main qualities of a surround speaker should focus on dispersion characteristics. Studio monitors traditionally have well defined dispersion patterns. Personally I would prefer a good dipole over a studio monitor any day.

lfh
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    While the 6328 gets rave reviews the 2328 gets poor reviews, even by the low end home studio crowd.
    /.../
    The response and performance of even the lower end unit will far exceed the requirements of main and secondary surround applications. BUT, why would you want to use a studio monitor for such an application?
    I've looked for reviews, but I haven't found much. Mix Online and Sound Tech reviews are positive, though. At Gearslutz there's not yet much talk about them. Do you have references to said poor reviews (if available online)?

I'll use the monitors in various applications: Ambisonics auralizations, 6.0 (2+2+2) mixing, 5 speaker cluster for room acoustics measurements.

lsr2300 series

We have some rep samples of the LSR2300, I have gotten the chance to listen to all the products in the series, from the 5" driver version to the 8" versions, and even the sub in a few different environments as I've gone around and helped put these into guitar center locations for display and set them up at a local GC university event. Rep bias aside, I have to say that they sound quite good for the money and have definitely considered picking some iterations of the above up for extra speakers in the house. To my knowledge these are not at all an LSR4300 "on the cheap". From looking at the exploded views available on the JBL Pro website, the driver parts are quite different. It really wouldn't make sense for them to put in the more expensive drivers into this cheaper box anyway. Better to engineer a driver for the cabinet that will hit the price point right.

As to the difference you might perceive between these and the 4300 series, I expect it would be similar to that you might hear between the LSR4300 and LSR6300. The LSR6300 [which I own and use in my studio] just keep getting louder and louder and louder, and LOVE having an incredibly hot signal thrown at them. That would be due to the reverse wound voice coils I imagine. The 4300 will tend to exhibit poorer tolerances when pushed, and I imagine the same would happen with the 2300. Having said that I demo'd a pair of the LSR6325 at the house with the LSR2310SP 10" sub using my xbox360 playing the game Oblivion as source material and actually had to keep turning it down it got so loud. Opening up the character menus got a little silly with the huge boom that would ensue, but going through dungeons and fighting beasties was an absolute blast.

To me the LSR2300 are a home run, they compare quite well with the other monitors I have demo'd them against at the same price point. I think they definitely sound better than KRK. Mackie MR series might have a bit of a more pleasing midrange that sounds fuller but that's probably just distortion. hehe.

oh, and here are the links for those exploded views, happy geeking:
    http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/LSR...s/LSR2328P.pdf

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/LSR4300/LSR4328P.pdf

lfh
    [Moving over my back log]

FWIW, here's an incredibly late "thank you" for the above comments on the small active boxes. Being a DIY type at heart, I ended up building 7 kit speakers, which I also modified to taste. (What can JBL do, that I can't do better myself? )

Thread Information