Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Le value of JBL2445J

The Le value of JBL2445J

Hi,

I have searched the net for info regarding the Le value of the JBL2445J driver. Have'nt had any succes .

So, if some of you Gent's have an idea of the number then please respond

I'm using the driver on my JBL2350 horn and need it in rebuilding/update my crossover (zobel network etc...)

Regards
    Flemming

Try here!

Quote Originally Posted by Flemming Skov View Post
    Hi,

I have searched the net for info regarding the Le value of the JBL2445J driver. Have'nt had any succes .

So, if some of you Gent's have an idea of the number then please respond

I'm using the driver on my JBL2350 horn and need it in rebuilding/update my crossover (zobel network etc...)

Regards
    Flemming
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2445j.pdf

Le.....

I appreciate your help but it's not mentioned there!!! I also have looked in the technical letters concerning the compression drivers, it seems that JBL do not care about this figure?

Regards
    Flemming

...not sure about Lee values in Euros in Denmark or local currency but in the U.S. the 2445js can be had used for 150-175 USD.

Since the value of the USD is declining at an alarming rate recently, you may get a bargin if you find a dollar denominated seller who is willing to ship this to you from America.

..good luck - obviously they are heavy as hell!

P.S.

...some people here at the cite frown upon folks who ask about the prices and values of JBL/Altec equipment. ...not sure exactly why, but it is somewhat of a no-no!

Rough day at the office.

Inductance.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Flemming Skov View Post
    I appreciate your help but it's not mentioned there!!! I also have looked in the technical letters concerning the compression drivers, it seems that JBL do not care about this figure?
    Nope, they really don't.

I changed the diaphragms in mine to 8 ohms and don't feel like pulling them out of the loudspeakers they are in and changing them back just to measure their Le. It's pretty much a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Nope, they really don't.

I changed the diaphragms in mine to 8 ohms and don't feel like pulling them out of the loudspeakers they are in and changing them back just to measure their Le. It's pretty much a non-issue.
    You can say so, but if your running the crossover figures in a program (LTspiceIV), then the passband will harm depending upon the figure your choose for the Le.

For test I have choosen the Le to 2.2mH. The impedance measured is from 12.3 to 24.9 ohm, on my 2445J, so it' will depend a lot. The crossover can be "flat" if the "right" value for Le can be found

Obsolete
    Well if you care that much then you should have the gear to measure it yourself. The impedance of the horn/c.d. combo is more important and if you feel that you need a zobel then it will be quite easy to come up with one in realtime. You might also want a trap filter to kill off the resonance peaks.

I'm using my pro JBL gear for hifi pleasure and is tweaking it as my hobby.

So, from my experience, small deviations is audible and I find the tweaking nessecary. Maybe the reason for the, sometimes bad reputation, JBL do have in "harsh" or "rough" sound is coming from the much to weak developed standard crossovers used by JBL?

I also find it nescessary to notch a few dB around 2kHz due to some peaking in the 2445/2328/2350 setup which end up in a better voice expression. The high deviation in the impedance and the unknown Le do have a big impact on my 24dB L-R filter. Fh(highcut) and Fl(lowcut) will change alot and the variation of the Le will give significant ripple in the passband.

Therefore I will load the driver with 5.6 ohm across the terminals and 2.2 ohm in series. The impedance variation will then be very small seen from the filter. If I then know the Le (I do agree on trial and error) the ripple wil be controlled by the zobel filter or so..

Thats the reason for asking for the Le. I'm not able to measure the figure so...

Obsolete
    So, from my experience, small deviations is audible and I find the tweaking nessecary. Maybe the reason for the, sometimes bad reputation, JBL do have in "harsh" or "rough" sound is coming from the much to weak developed standard crossovers used by JBL?
    Here's an example of a full blown conjugate that LEAP cranks out for a 2441 bolted to a 2311 horn. The red curve is the flattened impedance curve.

The second schematic with R8 and C6 shows what I would use instead to deal with Le if I were so inclined (blue curve).
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I'm afraid to ask, but why the "e"

I'm maybe too old but but for me resistance was always "R", not "Re", and inductance was "L", not "Le"...
    What about capacitance? confused:

Obsolete
    And if I was compelled to deal with the resonances I might put in L2 and R1 which are just a couple of values I came up with off the top of my head:

Obsolete
    Therefore I will load the driver with 5.6 ohm across the terminals and 2.2 ohm in series. The impedance variation will then be very small seen from the filter.
    Ok. R9 and R10.

Obsolete
    Just the two resistors:

Obsolete
    Of course we would have to look at the SPL curves with each iteration to see the results but you get the idea.
    I also find it nescessary to notch a few dB around 2kHz due to some peaking in the 2445/2328/2350 setup which end up in a better voice expression. The high deviation in the impedance and the unknown Le do have a big impact on my 24dB L-R filter. Fh(highcut) and Fl(lowcut) will change alot and the variation of the Le will give significant ripple in the passband.
    Yep.

You'll need to get an impedance and SPL plot for that combination. Once you get that data you can play around with it as desired and try all kinds of stuff. Some solutions will sound good and some will suck the life right out of the whole mess.

Thread Information