Thread: JBL 4312A faulty tweeter options

JBL 4312A faulty tweeter options

Hello,

This is my first post on here because I'm a recent first time JBL owner. I bought a pair of 4312As from a distance seller (I'm in eastern spain and the seller is in the NW corner). Anyway, I hooked them up this evening and noticed from up close that one of the tweeters was quiet. It isn't that noticeable since the midranges seem to handle a lot of high frequency. But either way I'd like them to be completely working.

I took both tweeters out and they are a nearly matching pair (both dates in January '89). The working one measures 4 ohms via a multimeter, and the non-working one is 0.6 ohms. I was expecting it to be open, so the lower resistance was a surprise. I suppose the coil could be worn such that adjacent windings are conducting.

Anyway, I see there are aftermarket tweeters available (~$100 including shipping to Spain each!!). There are replacement dome/coil kits, and I have a feeling it wouldn't make sense to replace only one of the two given that these obviously aren't OEM. Finally there are used tweeters available on a well known auction site (also expensive with costly shipping on top).

Vintage JBLs are rare over here and seem to fetch a lot more money here than in the states, and spares are almost non-existent. What approach would you take?

Thanks in advance!

And if anyone happens to have a surplus circa 1989 tweeter laying around and would ship to Spain, let me know!

Welcome to the forum.
    Those are nice speakers and deserve the correct tweeter. The part number is the 035Ti. There used to be a repair kit called the D8R035Ti.

I would search the internet for either of these. You may find a thread here on LHS where people have found a suitable replacement, if so I would recommend replacing both tweeters.

Good luck!

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

No personal experience, but these have good customer reviews, I even recognize some names from here in the reviews. And I see on review from France, so it looks like they ship international.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/repla...-t-035tia.html

Time was you could purchase a complete working pair of L20T, L60T, L1, or 4408 for less than the cost of two tweeters. But it helps to live in the USA.

That being said, there is a pair of 035TiA on Ebay right now for $81 with free shipping (Spain included!).
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

True that the original was the 035Ti, a matched pair of 035TIA will be a correct replacement also. For repair kits the D8R035Ti is an exact fit, the D8R035TIA will take a little technique because of the different orientation of the terminals and the locating tab, but can be made to work. Unfortunately all are out of production so watch for used original (which will likely still need replacement of the damping foam).

There are those who have been happy with the Simply Speakers (aftermarket / non-original) replacements, which is not a bad temporary solution but personally I'd prefer original if they were mine.
    - Jeff

Thread Information