Thread: Altec Model 14 vs 15.

Altec Model 14 vs 15.

Has anyone heard them both? Which did you like best and why?

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

haven't heard either

But. if my Model 19,s are any indication, you will be pleased with either. Altecs are Very Efficient speakers....

sorry couldn't be more help...

Gary L
    It's been a long time but back in the mid '70s I auditioned bot the 15s and the 19s. I waited a few more weeks and bought the 19s.
    Although the 15s were very nice sounding, they were considered the baby 19s and there really was no comparison. I believe there was a price difference of around $345 and the 19s were deffinately the better way to go.
    I think if I was looking today I would still opt for the 19s over the 15s simply because the components are of much higher quality and the repairs are redily available because of all the intrest from "Nuts" like us who refuse to let great sound die.
    There are currently two pairs of 19s at auction and both appear to be in fairly nice condition if you can ever believe what the seller says.
    If you are like most of us, just get a pair of 19s and you will never have to say "I wish they were bigger or I wish I had waited". I have heard very few complaints about 19s while 14 & 15 owners always seem to say "I wish they were 19s".
    On the flip side, if you can get the 15s very reasonable and they are in great shape and ready to rock, you can always re sell them when you find a better deal on bigger Altec or JBL Monitors.
    I have seen nice 15s go for between $300-$550 on Ebay. 19s are a bit higher @ $750 & Up. Also keep in mind that the prices on the auction sites are very cyclical. Some times low and sometimes insanely high depending on who and how many are bidding.
    Good luck what ever you decide, the 15s are fine speakers at a reasonable price, IMHO.
    Gary L
    Last edited by Gary L; 06-29-2004 at 03:16 PM.

Thread Information