Thread: Hot Roding JBL JRX-115

JBL 4645

Hot Roding JBL JRX-115

I stumbled on this video on youtube and wondered if, anyone you have seen this before?

Brian Hot Rods his JBL JRX-115 Top Cabs (Horn Driver)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qowMG3fowR0&feature=rec-HM-r2

Ugggh. Ugggh.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Ugggh. Ugggh.
    Is that caveman language? ugggh ugggh. You seem shocked about the video? I was shocked also. Why replace it with something else I mean want is wrong with JBL? He could have used high grade JBL compression drivers! Although it could have been far worse, if he screwed a Bose on the end of the horn, that would really piss us all off. lol

It's a common replacement for what used to be JBL's cheapest driver, at half the cost. There's also a nice neodymium version for $20 more. Replacement diaphragms for both of those are $15 list.

The combination of that driver and $9.90 horn (waveguide) has become quite popular in another application....

He better not bang his JRX too hard on the floor he if doesn't want to crack the horns with his new "soooo much heavier" drivers.

short_circutz
    But almost anything sounds better than those harsh sounding 2412 drivers. I haven't heard those drivers in any model of JBL where they have sounded good. Even upgrading to a 2418 is significant.

What I don't understand though is how people have so many failures with this driver, as we've been using the JRX 115i models for school gymnasium installs, and we've yet to have a HF driver failure.

A friend of mine uses his set in a small club here, and they get pushed hard every weekend (but within their limits) and they have withstood about 3 years of this without failure.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by short_circutz View Post
    But almost anything sounds better than those harsh sounding 2412 drivers. I haven't heard those drivers in any model of JBL where they have sounded good. Even upgrading to a 2418 is significant.

What I don't understand though is how people have so many failures with this driver, as we've been using the JRX 115i models for school gymnasium installs, and we've yet to have a HF driver failure.

A friend of mine uses his set in a small club here, and they get pushed hard every weekend (but within their limits) and they have withstood about 3 years of this without failure.
    I take they can be bi-amp with an audio limiter protecting the HF from critical failure, due to harmful peaks, that often burns the voice coil out

The 2412 is not JBL best driver, needless to say.

They are used for PA and as such take a beating. The 2412 has a small VC and feedback will cook it in short time.
    FYI a stock JRX115 still sounds so much better than a BO$E 801, of course no one is surprised about this.
    I did finally use a different HF driver in the station's JRX115, handles more power and cost much less to replace.

JBL 4645
    What’s there maximum (SPL db) technical tolerance limit in meters? As well as the frequency response, at what point does it distort the most in the frequency response, the HF that is?

I have a set of JRX115 for our karaoke (my wife's business ) and no problem so far.
    Of course, if I lend them to a drunk deaf DJ, I know exactly what can happen.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    I have a set of JRX115 for our karaoke (my wife's business ) and no problem so far.
    Of course, if I lend them to a drunk deaf DJ, I know exactly what can happen.
    I think end result will be fubar.

Thread Information