Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wife Acceptance Factor low = advice sought

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I don't think we men understand what women really like..
    Unfortunately women don't understand what they really like either.

Funny, my wife loves the speakers but not the stands... I don't think we men understand what women really like.

That was a Sonus Faber Cremona... here is another nice little speaker with a leather wrapped baffle and exquisitely finished wood the Monitor Audio PL100.

Widget
    Those Monitor Audio PL100's look very nice indeed. I just checked into them online and there's a used pair for sale in the UK asking 2,300 British Pounds. That's gonna make it hard to bring this system in under $4,000... and I was thinking to spend more on the amp and pre-amp than the speakers.

Still, she would almost certainly like the look of those.
    My biggest fear is that, after I am dead, my kids will sell my audio equipment for what I told them I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BJL View Post
    Tom Brennan, you're a lucky man.
    Many wives wouldn't accept all those cables strung across the carpet

I have to comment, that's EXACTLY what I saw when I first looked at the picture, and was going write in the same thing, only at the last minute did I realize it was the carpet pattern....too funny
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyFinn View Post
    Those Monitor Audio PL100's look very nice indeed. I just checked into them online and there's a used pair for sale in the UK asking 2,300 British Pounds. That's gonna make it hard to bring this system in under $4,000... and I was thinking to spend more on the amp and pre-amp than the speakers.

They are really quite beautiful in person. I also like their sound better than their larger and more expensive stable mates.

I realize they are a bit steep for your budget. I posted them mainly as a point of reference. Their are many surprisingly small speakers that sound quite remarkable but they are typically a bit more than the crazy bargain prices we are used to seeing for the vintage offerings.

As for your system pricing... I'd suggest you spend approximately half on speakers and half on everything else, though that is just a rough guideline.

I have recently had a pair of JBL LS 80s in my home and they sounded quite nice and had a smart look to them... especially with the grilles on. They are a bit reddish in color and for some that might be a deal breaker. Their much smaller brethren, the LS 40s, are a bit larger than the Monitor Audios but less than half the price at around $1400 a pair.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

More on the amp than the speakers, many make that mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyFinn View Post

Not a put down! But reality! For many years when I was asked how budget the money I would say 60~70 % on the speakers! The rest on everything else. Yes electronics can make a difference in the sound, but what you hear is the speakers! No amp in the world can make a bad set of speakers sound good, just look at Bo$e.
    I have had the same speakers for 42 years, but I've had several amps.

In my garage I have Pro JBL PA speakers hooked to 25W/channel car stereo on a power supply. People will come over and remark how good it sounds, then they ask me what I'm driving them with?
    I show them the car radio and they stare at it in disbelief, I explain that 90%+ of the quality of the sound is from the speakers!
    I do have the big amps for when I take them on the road.

I understand that you have the wife factor to deal with, I did when we first got married. Soon after I built my C40 horns a friend of my wife came over and my wife was playing music for her friend. My wife's friend just loved the sound of the speakers! She said they sounded like movie theater speakers, she was thrilled by the sound! Well that did it, my wife never complained about my big speakers again!
    I hope you have some good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    In my garage I have Pro JBL PA speakers hooked to 25W/channel car stereo on a power supply. People will come over and remark how good it sounds, then they ask me what I'm driving them with?
    I show them the car radio and they stare at it in disbelief, I explain that 90%+ of the quality of the sound is from the speakers!
    When I first "appropriated" the 030 system my Dad had left on the porch for the Goodwill to pick up after purchasing his first stereo system (Fisher 400 sometime around '62?), I ran it for a while out of the earphone jack from my ChannelMaster transistor radio. Sounded great to me.

And on those LS40s: You can go to the JBL site, click USA, find information on the speakers, but as soon as you click to find somewhere to buy them you get a list that of retail outlets (that includes K-mart) and the drop-down menus by model don't show the LS series at all. Are these guys at Harman really that stupid?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

[quote=BMWCCA;270492]When I first "appropriated" the 030 system my Dad had left on the porch for the Goodwill to pick up after purchasing his first stereo system (Fisher 400 sometime around '62?), I ran it for a while out of the earphone jack from my Channel Master transistor radio. Sounded great to me. "

WOW, that is amazing!
    The dad of the drummer in one of my bands had 030 system in his den. He was talking about going stereo and getting AR speakers because he had been told they were good. I, as a know it all 19 year old said why don't you just get another JBL they blow away the AR speakers. For most of my late teens and early twenties I fought against those large stereo consoles and their junk speakers.

Not trying to promote anything here....

But in looking for a price on the PL100 I stumbled upon this pic.

These things certainly look good to me... not overdone like some Paradigms and not clunky like so many older designs... I've seen and heard them a few times and they also perform quite well... no Altec A7 fan will likely fall in love with them, but if you like the JBL Ti series, the XPL series, or others that are a bit more refined...

The JBL LS 40s capture some of this elegance (an elegance not shown in any photo's I've found) but since they are thousands less, they are a bit styled back. They do have the same beautiful high gloss lacquer finish though.

Widget

I believe - this woman accepts this system :
    http://www.dougronald.com/images/PB010017.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Flaesh View Post
    I dunno - she is wearing sandalas with sock on 1 foot, no sock other foot,
    parachute pants and a parka - is that, perhaps , a garage install?

She might not be a cutting edge maven of style to use as an example.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Flaesh View Post
    The question is: Would you accept this "woman"?

But in looking for a price on the PL100 I stumbled upon this pic.

These things certainly look good to me... not overdone like some Paradigms and not clunky like so many older designs... I've seen and heard them a few times and they also perform quite well... no Altec A7 fan will likely fall in love with them, but if you like the JBL Ti series, the XPL series, or others that are a bit more refined...

The JBL LS 40s capture some of this elegance (an elegance not shown in any photo's I've found) but since they are thousands less, they are a bit styled back. They do have the same beautiful high gloss lacquer finish though.

Widget
    When I see cones like this (or better, inverted domes) a question pops in my mind... How do you recone these things? How do you center the coil in the gap?

Thread Information