Thread: LA/SoCal/West Coast Meet

LA/SoCal/West Coast Meet

I'm looking at Saturday, November 21 as a possible date to do a very small JBL meet. I can host six or seven folks for an eclectic trip through a number of JBL auditions.

We'd start the day around 10 AM in Lynwood, CA to hear some L250s, then off to the downtown Arts District for some L7 heaven and BYO lunch at Le Metropol. (Easily under $20) After that we'll go to Wilmington for some 4430/B380 goodness, and finally to my home for S/2600, Performance Series 5.1, SVA Series 5.1, XPL200, and Synthesis® One Array. (Bring your ear plugs.)

Heck, I might even crank up the L100s, XPL160s, L5s, 240Tis, and Synthesis Three gear. Might...

Why there even could be a cook out and beer at the end if everyone pitches in.

Plan on at least five hours and a small donation to Lansing Heritage, say $10.

If interested, post here. I'll need at least four confirmed attendees to proceed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

A firm maybe (-very- slim chance work might drag me away).

Despite my best efforts, I could only get one LH member, Regis, to show up today. Grumpy had a last-minute complication that kept him away. Fortunately, a couple of AVS forum members from the LA Home Theater Group were able to make it. We got in about three hours of serious listening, then capped it off with grilled jumbo shrimp (garlic and olive oil), wedge salads, olive oil sauteed vegetable medley, French bread, succulent grapes, fresh strawberries, nuts, and chocolate. Oh yes, wine and beer, too.

We started with 240Tis, followed by XPL160s, L100s, S/2600s, Performance Series 5.1, SVA Series 5.1, XPL200, and finally Synthesis® One Array.

Curtis, one of the AVS guys brought a disc of especially nice music for demo and we played the same track on each system as we moved from floor to floor and room to room. It was fascinating hearing the personality of each speaker as it rendered the same piece of music.

It was a real JBL-ucation for the AVS guys, who hadn't heard any of the JBLs except for the L100s. I think they were genuinely stunned by the S/2600s, the Performance Series, and of course by the One Array--maybe even struck dumb by that experience.

We didn't get any photos, but we were having too good a time. Besides, it was sort of you-had-to-be-there, if you know what I mean.

Maybe Regis will chime in with his impressions. In any event, a pleasant time was had by all.
    Out.

Dang...

DOUBLEDANG!

I'm just in Tustin, this would have been a good day to make it.

Oh well.

Keep trying, Tit Dome

Maybe I can make the next one. OR host one. I should ask the local library if we could borrow their recently retired facility before demolition, it'd be great to have a full-on hifi meet in a space big enough to let the JBLs stretch their legs.

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    Oh well.

Keep trying, Tit Dome

Maybe I can make the next one...
    I don't know, if you keep calling him Tit Dome, he may not invite you.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I don't know, if you keep calling him Tit Dome, he may not invite you.

Widget
    Actually, I was thinking of a private party...

Out.

Regis

Thumbs up

I sent Sir Ti an email this AM thanking him for the excellent outing. I cut and pasted from the email, so that I may share my impressions. Ti is an excellent host and the experience was great.

... I really enjoyed listening to the wide variety of speakers that you had. It was interesting to see how the more 'modern' JBL's just out-performed the older 'boxes' (note; technology moves on! ). The difference between the 240 Ti's and the XPL-160s was huge! Where the 240's sounded OK, the XPL-160's had snap-crackle and pop to the sound. Very lively.

I liked the S2600 as well and would've loved hearing more out of that particular pair. The home theater was very cool. I am definitely in the 'old school' camp and playing catch-up constantly, but my other hobbies (the mountain bike and the Harley) require goodly sums unto each one.

The technology that is pursued is pretty relentless and I just have to get there when I can. Also, thanks for the most excellent lunch. It was great!

Finally, I'm really enjoying the L7's and L5's. I am buying an older QSC 1400 amp this weekend and will be seeking another. The seller is throwing in a pro 15 band dual EQ with XLR hookups and I will use this to moderately bump up the lower midbass and bring down the bass just a tad until I get QSC 1400 #2. The bass on the L7's is awesome.

The low frequency will easily fill the air in the room and if you got a varying low freq signal, you can physically feel the sonics! A hard and fast kettle drum rendition on The Rippingtons 'Black Diamond' CD had the room pounding and this out of a speaker that's less than 10" wide. Looking at them, it was kind of hard to believe you get that kind of power out of such narrow cabs.

The L-5's are a sweet listening experience as well, with seamless blending between the drivers. Nice imaging and nothing is more 'forward' than anything else. Just a pleasure to listen to.

Evening, TD, and All,

I'm truly sorry to have missed out on this fun opportunity! We've been out of State for the last week and a half, visiting family for an early Thanksgiving. But, had we been here, we would most certainly have been interested in joining the festivities. I'm glad to hear that those who were able to attend, had a fine time, just as I'd have thought they would!! Maybe next time, we can be there, too. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information