Thread: Thanks with help Restoring L150's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks with help Restoring L150's

Thank you for all the help in getting my $20.00 garage sale pair of L150's working.

The 3 things I did were:
    1) modified the crossovers to 3113B specs per suggestion in this forum.

2) changed the tweeters to 044's

3) Replaced missing passive radiators

The speakers sound great, really good sound-stage, maybe the best I've ever heard (not that I'm a bona-fide audiophile or anything). One thing I'm noticing is The mid-range seems to be dominant in the mix (even turned down to 2) I think it's due to the woofers being refoamed. I'm hoping once they are broke in the bass will be more pronounced...

TT

Improving Bass Response of L150

Has anyone else experienced a lack of power in the low end of these speakers? (it's there, just not enough of it) I saved a post from Regis who suggests replacing the stock 128H woofers with 2214's. Other opinions welcome...

TT

Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post
    Has anyone else experienced a lack of power in the low end of these speakers? (it's there, just not enough of it) I saved a post from Regis who suggests replacing the stock 128H woofers with 2214's. Other opinions welcome...

TT
    What kind of amp (power) are you running them with?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Lack of bass response? I have 2 pair of L150's and I cant say that there would be a lack of bass response. I have used all sorts of amps on mine and have always had pretty decent bass. I do run them with 300w as they enjoy plenty of reserve power. I think JBL rated them at 300 watts rms.

Allan

The amp is a QSC USA400 (200W per channel) which is being fed by an AKSA tube preamp.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    What kind of amp (power) are you running them with?

TT
    My last re-edge job took about a week to open up in the bottom, seemed a bit constricted and blurry at first, with a little time on them that all changed.

When it did, it REALLY did, and tightened up dramatically as well.

Give it a little time before you jump the gun and decide you're unhappy with the results.

Thomas

I think you might need to allow the surrounds and spiders loosen up a bit. Also, you might want to try out a different preamp or no preamp at all if your QSC has line-in level controls. I had a Dynaco Pas 4 (the newer Panor version) and even with all the upgrades the previous owner did, I just couldn't get good low frequency response out of it.

The 3 things I did were:
    ...Replaced missing passive radiators
    Did you use the right ones?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Yes; I found the stock replacements, PR300 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Did you use the right ones?

Thank you for all the help in getting my $20.00 garage sale pair of L150's working.

The 3 things I did were:
    1) modified the crossovers to 3113B specs per suggestion in this forum.

2) changed the tweeters to 044's

3) Replaced missing passive radiators

The speakers sound great, really good sound-stage, maybe the best I've ever heard (not that I'm a bona-fide audiophile or anything). One thing I'm noticing is The mid-range seems to be dominant in the mix (even turned down to 2) I think it's due to the woofers being refoamed. I'm hoping once they are broke in the bass will be more pronounced...

TT

First, the usual verify-twice advice to ensure you have not wired the woofers out of phase through the modification process. Then, what were you listening to before you moved over to these L150s? That would presumably be your reference in comparing what you are used to hearing to what you hear now, or may be expecting to hear now.
    David F
    San Jose

Thanks for all the good tips...

I'm pretty sure I'm not out of phase in the wiring dept. The crossover has good labeling and I used color coding for the + and - terminals but I'll check next time I've got the woofers out.

The QSC amp does have level controls so maybe I'll try bypassing the preamp just for kicks.

Maybe a little bass heavy music will help loosen those recones a bit.

TT

Just thinking out loud here - are L150 128H's reverse polarity, cone-in for positive voltage input to red terminal?

Thread Information