Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Grille Cloth - AKA Zilch Cloth

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I just took a look at the color of the cloth on my L80Ts compared to my L112 and L96s and the older models are definitely brown, almost a reddish brown, but it's entirely questionable if the two pair of L80Ts are brown or closer to black. Regardless, they are not the same color as the '80s stuff. I'll take them outside if the sun ever comes out again and have a look in the sun. I only mention it because if Rick did happen to get excited about acquiring 500-yards of brown, it might not be the same brown that Mark is anticipating, or it might. The L80Ts are about as brown as the L7s are brown, and that's not-very.

Also, the fabric on the older grilles (L96, L112, L150A) has a coarser "weave" compared to the stretchier "cellular" look of the T's and the L7s. The 4345 black cloth comes in somewhere in between but Rick most likely knows how that compares to the "Zilch" cloth since they were his creation. My 4320 boxes with Heather's blue Zilch-cloth grilles are stored away and I can't compare them right now.
    Evening, All,

I understand that, what I have on my L300's now, may be different than what could be procured, and that's OK with me. At sometime in the past, one of my speakers sat in strong, direct sun, and one grill cloth has faded a bit, compared to the other one. The solid edges on that same box was a bit "faded", too, but two applications of Howard's Feed and Wax took care of that, and now both boxes look great. I'm mostly interested in getting both grills recovered in JBL brown, if that can be done. Mine have a fairly course weave, and seem thicker than some other double-knit grill fabric I've used. I have no way of knowing if the fabric on our L300's is original, or not, though. In any case, I'm interested, if enough others are also interested in the brown fabric. My L19's could use some grill work, too, or even some new grills. Same color, I believe. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Indeed, after scores of transactions with forum members over these past several years, the ZilchLab Grille Cloth Emporium now morphs into the ZilchLab Loudspeaker Recycling Center, and the Biradial Babes will continue pouring a selection of fine wines and single malt in the Spa (by appointment).

As my supply of JBL Blue dwindled over the course of recent months, Saeman and I have been in communication regarding the potential of his providing an ongoing source for the material, and forum resources have once again made this possible. As he states, it is quite impractical for me to undertake another round; I was only in the "business" by default.

So, I again say "Thank you" to the many enthusiasts who have supported this endeavor, and I urge everyone to continue the same with Saeman, its new proprietor....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Indeed, after scores of transactions with forum members over these past several years, the ZilchLab Grille Cloth Emporium now morphs into the ZilchLab Loudspeaker Recycling Center, and the Biradial Babes will continue pouring a selection of fine wines and single malt in the Spa (by appointment).

So, I again say "Thank you" to the many enthusiasts who have supported this endeavor, and I urge everyone to continue the same with Saeman, its new proprietor....
    Sir, we thank YOU for carrying on like this over the last few years. It was great having a source of fine deep blue grill cloth, and you did great by us!

I thank you, and my speakers thank you as well!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post

As my supply of JBL Blue dwindled over the course of recent months, Saeman and I have been in communication regarding the potential of his providing an ongoing source for the material, and forum resources have once again made this possible. As he states, it is quite impractical for me to undertake another round; I was only in the "business" by default.

Even better that I ordered the 2 yards! Had I known this was coming I'd have asked for more! I still have a wee bit left.

For those that are interested in the brown; I can attest to the fact that Zilch's "blue" was identical in every detail to the brown as far as weave on the following:
    L55s
    L96s
    L112s
    I also made nice hardwood frame inserts and covered them with the "Zilch blue" for my L100As. What a lovely contrast; that dark indigo blue transitioning into that deep dark Walnut. Beautiful!

I, for the life of me, don't understand the attraction for the brown but that is just my opinion. For the speakers I have listed, and many others, "blue" or "indigo" as it is referred to in some literature, was an authentic option, so I enjoyed the fact that my restorations remained "historically correct" and accurate.

I have been happy every time throwing that ugly ass brown in the trash!
    (my opinion only)

Thank you Zilch for all your help!
    Thomas

Rick you can put me down for some of the black stuff

both navy and black

I'll order both colors when you get them
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Update

I recently placed the order for both the blue and black cloth. The black will be made first and should arrive the first week of January with the blue following along approx. 2 weeks later.

This hugh pile of cloth will be a serious problem for handling and storage since I do not have a dedicated area to leave it sitting. Upon it's arrival I will set up an area and precut a portion that I will dedicate to shipping out to all of those interested. I can then store it until there is a future need.

I will be precutting the material in 2 yd, 3 yd and 5 yd pieces which will be pre boxed and ready to ship when someone wants it. I will not have the time or space to leave it sitting to cut when I receive a request. If there is someone who wants a larger amount we can discuss that request as a separate issue. Most needs for the blue cloth were long ago filled by Zilch so I am not expecting a major flood. This is the most efficient way for me to handle the dispersion to those still in need.

Cost will be $15 per yard plus shipping. A yard of cloth measures approx. 68" wide (roll length) x 36". This is approx. 17 square feet.

I will ship within the U.S. using USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes. I will post again after I determine the required box size and cost for the precut pieces of cloth. Overseas shipping will also be via USPS at prevailing rates for the weight of the parcel.

Let me know if you need further info.

Rick

Thanks

Thanks for the update Rick,

I will follow up with you in mid-Jan when I will purchase 2-yards of Blue cloth for my DIY 4345.

Cheers,
    D

majick47

JBL Grill Cloth

Thanks Zilch for going a BIG extra mile for us!

In Over My Head

Update - One step further to getting the grille cloth supply flowing again !! Today the blue cloth arrived and it appears to be a mountain of material. Six big rolls equating to approx. 500 yards are now completely filling the back of my son's Jeep. I don't know what I'll do when in 3 days the same amount of black cloth arrives.

Storage is my initial concern and then I will start pre-cutting and making small parcels ready to ship. All interested please reply. For now I intend to precut in 2 yard, 3 yard and 5 yard pieces and prepack. This will be necessary as storage, for the time being, is going to be a major problem. I do not have a clean area where I can leave it sitting out to cut and pack on a daily basis.

Happy New Year - Rick

Dispensing system:

One active roll of each color on a 1-1/2" or 2" pipe (I forget which size) on like a barbell storage rack, fold-up table in front. The rest was in storage until needed, one roll at a time. A poly drop cloth over the top kept it clean.

http://www.yorkfitness.com/Storage-R...ds-4-Bars.html

Grille Cloth

Happy Hew Year All You JBL Nuts

I have received a few requests for cloth over the past couple of weeks. I'm not quite ready to start shipping yet but will hopefully be ready soon. I don't want anyone to think they're being ignored so this update was in order.

I have received the blue cloth but the black has not yet arrived. I will be here this coming week for sure as it's already been shipped. Upon it's arrival I will start the cutting adventure and get parcels ready to ship. At that time I will answer all PM's and get shipping information from each individual.

Shipping method will be via USPS Flat Rate Box for all orders in the 2-5 yard arena. If someone wants a larger chunk then UPS might be easier. I have not been impressed with the USPS Flat Rate program as it appears to favor heavier parcels, leaving lighter parcels being charged at a hefty rate. If this comes to be the case, I will abandon their free Flat Rate Boxes and simply ship Priority Mail. Rest assured I will find the cheapest way (combined shipping and packing) to get it to it's destination. Let me ease into this adventure to see what happens.

Shipping overseas is simple with one option - USPS International Priority Maill.

Rick

Dark Blue JBL Grille Cloth

Hey Rick
    If you lay the dark blue out side to side with Zilch's lot, how close is the color match?
    Larry
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Color match should not be a problem. This cloth was manufactured by the same company as the cloth bought by Zilch and by the same manufacturer that has made it for JBL for many many years - same weave design, same color spec, etc. etc.

Keep in mind that with all manufacturers there might be a small difference in color between dye lots. I am quite sure that over the many years that JBL bought this cloth, that they saw minor variations between the dye lots. I would suspect they would have rejected it only for a severe difference. In my years of doing JBL I have encountered so-called JBL blue in the range of dark Navy to a brighter blue that was a noticeable shade lighter (no it was not sun bleached) so I know first hand that JBL did have some wiggle room in their spec.

To answer your question - this cloth is spot on to the 50 yards that I recently received from Zilch.

When the black arrives I will compare it to the JBL original black that I have as remnants - but as far as I'm concerned - black is black - as long as there's no hint of gray.

Quote Originally Posted by saeman View Post
    black is black - as long as there's no hint of gray.
    Given the average age of this group, I'd say only a hint of gray would be perfectly acceptable!

Thanks for doing this. I'm looking forward to getting the black to see if it's worthwhile to redo the 4345 clones. Regardless, I'll have many other uses for it since I'm not a big fan of all the brown cloth around my house!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information