Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ( JBL TL260 + Studio ) vs Polk RTI

Robinhood

Wink ( JBL TL260 + Studio ) vs Polk RTI

Hi every one,
    I need your advice and recommendation to help me take a decision.
    My current set are JBL TL260 + AVR Yamaha RX-3900 and I am planning to complete my home theater.
    I didn't find a package speakers for my TL260 because they come alone, but I found the JBL Studio speakers are using as same drivers as the TL260, so my choice will be:

1- AVR Yamaha RX-V3900
    2- TL260 as front speakers
    3- LC2 as center speaker
    4- L820 as surround and surround back
    Unfortunately LC2 and L820 are not available in my country, thus some of my friends will buy them for me from USA and shipping them to me by DHL, so I don’t have chance to here them before buy them. And I need your advice in this point.
    Second, I have another recommendation from my friends to sell my TL260 and buy POLK audio RTI series, and if so my system will be:
    1- AVR Yamaha RX-V3900
    2- Polk RTI A9 as front speakers
    3- Polk CSi A6 as center speaker
    4- Polk Fxi A6 as surround and surround back
    Polk Audio show room located in other city in my country, and I don’t even have a chance to here them as well , but they are offering to deliver them to my home for free.

I am so confused and I need your advice which should I choose JBL TL260 + Studio Series or POLK Audio RTI Series, detailed information would be helpful to me.

I know this is a JBL forum but I was searching through the net and I found your forum

Regards
    Last edited by Robinhood; 01-29-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: just add some thing

But what do YOU like - I have big 'ol horns on top of big wood boxes,
    but lots of folks don't like that sound - so - its really all about the kind of sound YOU like, innit?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Hi every one,
    I need your advice and recommendation to help me take a decision.
    My current set are JBL TL260 + AVR Yamaha RX-3900 and I am planning to complete my home theater.

I am so confused and I need your advice which should I choose JBL TL260 + Studio Series or POLK Audio RTI Series, detailed information would be helpful to me.

Regards
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Robinhood
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    But what do YOU like - I have big 'ol horns on top of big wood boxes,
    but lots of folks don't like that sound - so - its really all about the kind of sound YOU like, innit?
    for me I need the system 75% for movies and 25% for music, so the Bass concerns me more.

the recommendation I got for PLOK audio because they are more powerful in continuous power 250 w in RTI A9 comparing with 125 w in TL260.

and I really need an expertise opinion.

thanks for ur replay

The information you have is not complete.

According to Polk, the RTi A9 is recommended to be driven with an amp that outputs 50 to 500W per channel. Its efficiency is rated rated as 90dB @ 1 Watt. Its frequency response is 30Hz to 26kHz (-3dB).

The JBL TL260 is recommended to be driven with an amp that outputs 125 to 500W per channel. Its efficiency is rated at 92dB @ 1 Watt. Its frequency response is 32Hz to 40kHz (-3dB).

Based on specs alone, there is little difference, other than the JBL is somewhat more efficient and it has VHF output.

In the end it comes down to sound and cost, at least to me. Personally, I like the sound that comes out of JBL's "250" style enclosure, and a lot of that is due to cabinet volume, woofer size and power, and the time alignment achieved by the sloping baffle. I've heard some decent sounding Polks, but have not preferred their sound to a floor standing JBL.

As for cost, you already have the two most expensive speakers in your possession. You only need to add a center and surrounds, which cost much less than your mains.

Going to any other brand will require you to purchase a complete set, including two mains. Economically, this would only make sense if you knew first-hand that the improvement in sound would be worth the extra expenses and hassle.

However, you already have the TL260, and if you are pleased with the sound, then why risk losing that? What you buy to replace them will give you remorse, unless you can adequately listen to them to be sure you will not regret losing the TL260.

This is all about happiness, and happiness is lost if you lose money selling what you have and regret buying what don't have.
    Out.

Robinhood
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    The information you have is not complete.

According to Polk, the RTi A9 is recommended to be driven with an amp that outputs 50 to 500W per channel. Its efficiency is rated rated as 90dB @ 1 Watt. Its frequency response is 30Hz to 26kHz (-3dB).

The JBL TL260 is recommended to be driven with an amp that outputs 125 to 500W per channel. Its efficiency is rated at 92dB @ 1 Watt. Its frequency response is 32Hz to 40kHz (-3dB).

Based on specs alone, there is little difference, other than the JBL is somewhat more efficient and it has VHF output.

In the end it comes down to sound and cost, at least to me. Personally, I like the sound that comes out of JBL's "250" style enclosure, and a lot of that is due to cabinet volume, woofer size and power, and the time alignment achieved by the sloping baffle. I've heard some decent sounding Polks, but have not preferred their sound to a floor standing JBL.

As for cost, you already have the two most expensive speakers in your possession. You only need to add a center and surrounds, which cost much less than your mains.

Going to any other brand will require you to purchase a complete set, including two mains. Economically, this would only make sense if you knew first-hand that the improvement in sound would be worth the extra expenses and hassle.

However, you already have the TL260, and if you are pleased with the sound, then why risk losing that? What you buy to replace them will give you remorse, unless you can adequately listen to them to be sure you will not regret losing the TL260.

This is all about happiness, and happiness is lost if you lose money selling what you have and regret buying what don't have.
    thanks a lot for correcting my information about POLK & JBL, your words are valuable and straight to the point.

And I am sorry I forgot to mention another thing, the TL260 I bought them from my friend in a condition to use them for 2 weeks before taking my final decision either to keep or return them back, that was before three days still have time to decide. thus economically there is no issue.

in the other hand, I don't have that much experince in speakers, even I have no idea what brand is much better POLK or JBL. another concern is related to the JBL LC2 I read some reviews that it is not that much powerful.

and the question is if you were in my shoes, and you still didn't buy any speaker. which package you will go with JBL or POLK.

really appreciate your reply

Honestly, I would buy what I know if I am pleased with it.

In this case, if I knew the JBL and it sounded very good to me, I would get it rather than take a chance to buy something I do not know and may not like after I get it.

If my friends are telling me to buy Polk, I would ask, "Do you have it so I may come to your house to listen to it?" If they say, "Yes," then I will go listen. If they say, "No," then I will ask them to be silent, since they do not have the personal commitment of their recommendation.

But if I cannot listen to the Polk, I will not take a chance to be disappointed if I am happy with the JBL that I do know.

This is just my way. It may not be yours.

I will add that my experience is that the JBL with its large, nonparallel, time-aligned cabinet and larger, more powerful woofer will give you a more authoritative low end experience (unless you supplement the Polks with a subwoofer) and better imaging. In this case, it is not about the specs (frequency response) but the coherence and power of the sound.

Good luck.
    Out.

in the other hand, I don't have that much experince in speakers, even I have no idea what brand is much better POLK or JBL. another concern is related to the JBL LC2 I read some reviews that it is not that much powerful.

and the question is if you were in my shoes, and you still didn't buy any speaker. which package you will go with JBL or POLK.

really appreciate your reply
    I have had an LC2 running my center channel for 2 years - fed off an HK receiver w/110w/ch - sounds good to me on dialog and all the usual center channel stuff ... Keeps up with the old big monitors I use for Mains.

Sounds good with movies and TV, also sounded good last night with the Eagles DTS video "Hell Freezes Over"
    (Thanks for the music tips TiDome!)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Robinhood
    Honestly, I would buy what I know if I am pleased with it.

In this case, if I knew the JBL and it sounded very good to me, I would get it rather than take a chance to buy something I do not know and may not like after I get it.
    you are right I am really happy with my TL260, and I decided to keep them and stop thinking about POLK

If my friends are telling me to buy Polk, I would ask, "Do you have it so I may come to your house to listen to it?" If they say, "Yes," then I will go listen. If they say, "No," then I will ask them to be silent, since they do not have the personal commitment of their recommendation.
    be sure I'll tell them so

OK now what do you think of the other JBL speakers LC2+L820 do I have better choice? have you got a chance to hear them?

Robinhood
    I have had an LC2 running my center channel for 2 years - fed off an HK receiver w/110w/ch - sounds good to me on dialog and all the usual center channel stuff ... Keeps up with the old big monitors I use for Mains.

Sounds good with movies and TV, also sounded good last night with the Eagles DTS video "Hell Freezes Over"
    (Thanks for the music tips TiDome!)
    Nice speaker, how deep is the sound coming from LC2, because it is a Satellite
    type and its depth only 12 cm, do you thing the sound would be more deeper from center speaker which it's depth 35 cm and more?

and what are you using for surround and Surround Back for your theater?

thanks man for ur reply

Nice speaker, how deep is the sound coming from LC2, because it is a Satellite
    type and its depth only 12 cm, do you thing the sound would be more deeper from center speaker which it's depth 35 cm and more?

and what are you using for surround and Surround Back for your theater?

thanks woman for your reply

For general background - my system is used for music maybe 60% of the time, TV and movies 40% of the time,
    but both play well, even if its a bit compromised for movies ...
    (the room is a bit small, and the center speaker is a bit too high due to the weight of the CRT HDTV and the cabinet under it.)

I'm using a pair of older L20T for surround back, and L20T3 for surround (sides) - (243 x 394 x 206mm).
    The L20T is a small 2-way, the L20T3 is a improved version with a better tweeter and upgraded crossover.
    We've got an old B-380 and HK Citation22 (bridged mono) for Sub use.

Robinhood
    thanks woman for your reply
    sorry Señorita

the center speaker is a bit too high due to the weight of the CRT HDTV and the cabinet under it.)
    i don't know which one is bigger your LC2 or CRT HDTV

Wow amazing huge surrounds, if the LC2 works fine with your surrounds, definitely will work with the surround L820 - do you know any one tried them (L820)......?

by the way my room is not bigger than yours, but when I play a movie I want to feel that I am one of the cast

thanks Señorita

sorry Señorita

i don't know which one is bigger your LC2 or CRT HDTV
    Well, its just a 34in diagonal HDTV - but its old CRT, so its VERY HEAVY.

Wow amazing huge surrounds, if the LC2 works fine with your surrounds,
    definitely will work with the surround L820 - do you know any one tried them (L820)......?
    thanks Señorita
    I had some L-820s for a while - got a real deal on them (July 08),
    wanted to use as rears, but found out I could resell them for more than I paid for them,
    and just keep the older L20Ts for rears. I'm not as fussy about surrounds as I am about fronts.
    Of course I already had the big 4-ways studio monitors for front mains, so they weren't going up front.

The L-820s are nice, and are a really good match for the LC2,
    but you do need a good sub to go with them, to fill in the bottom.

I have another recommendation from my friends to sell my TL260 and buy POLK audio RTI series...
    Matthew Polk's company is based in Baltimore, not far from where Heather lives. If she can easily resist the Polk attraction, I'm sure you can, too!

The Polk Force is strong on the USA's East Coast, but many of us manage very well without succumbing to it.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Ah, found them! JBL TL260 ...

Ok, other than cabinet finish, the drivers look similar to the L820 and LC2 -
    should be a real good match, sound-wise!

So - what to do for the Sub/Low bass?

Robinhood
    I had some L-820s for a while - got a real deal on them (July 08),
    wanted to use as rears, but found out I could resell them for more than I paid for them,

The L-820s are nice, and are a really good match for the LC2,
    but you do need a good sub to go with them, to fill in the bottom.
    It was a good deal for you by the way, moreover the price I have paid for my TL260 is 1,000 USD only and currently in our market they cost more than 2,100 USD for pair, but I have decided not to sell them

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Matthew Polk's company is based in Baltimore, not far from where Heather lives. If she can easily resist the Polk attraction, I'm sure you can, too!

The Polk Force is strong on the USA's East Coast, but many of us manage very well without succumbing to it.
    Do I need to resist them POLK? and to be honest I cannot stop my self when it is about speakers, I could buy speaker even if I'll not use them......joke

guys you are luck to live in USA you can test any speaker before buying it

Ah, found them! JBL TL260 ...

Ok, other than cabinet finish, the drivers look similar to the L820 and LC2 -
    should be a real good match, sound-wise!

So - what to do for the Sub/Low bass?
    this is what I said too, but I needed other opinions

for the Sub woofer this is another story, and I am postponing it for two reasons:

First: definitely its about budget.

Second: because I need the theater basically for movies, so I prefer to buy down firing Sub where as the whole JBL subs in my country are down firing

but I hope I can complete the whole set of my theater soon.

Thread Information