Thread: Bad soundstage rendition - who is the guilty ?

Bad soundstage rendition - who is the guilty ?

Good afternoon !

I have a general question but very much important to me

I would like to know if speakers are, as I believe, the most critical element of an audio stereo system to get a remarkable soundstage in the 3 directions, width-height-depth.

This would prevent me to spend money for upgrading the other components and would leave resources for a new pair of speakers instead.

I promise this is the last question .. for today at least
    I wish you all the best
    Kind regards,
    gino

Yes & No

Quote Originally Posted by ginetto61 View Post
    Good afternoon !
    I would like to know if speakers are, as I believe, the most critical element of an audio stereo system to get a remarkable soundstage in the 3 directions, width-height-depth.
    gino
    Loudspeakers are, on the one hand, the "most critical" element and it is generally conceded that getting "better" loudspeakers is the single most significant improvement one can make to an existing system--BUT--on the other hand, the "better" the loudspeakers, the more they will reveal the weaknesses of the rest of the system. First you get the better speakers, then you hear the lack of quality in your signal source, so you replace that, but then you find that the amplifier lacks________ (fill in the blank), so you replace that, but it's so good you want new speakers.....See how this goes?

Quote Originally Posted by ginetto61 View Post
    Speakers certainly will have a large effect here, but as whizzer mentioned, the rest of the system needs to be up to the task.

A very significant part of "the rest of the system" is the room, speaker-room placement, and room treatment. These areas are undeserved in audio discussions and in magazines because we can't buy a room and take it home as easily as we can a new CD player. Also, since buying sound panels of various sorts or hiring a professional consultant and architect isn't all that common, there isn't the advertising force out there spending piles of cash to make us aware of it like there is for such "useful" upgrades as cables.

Widget

Thank you all very much for your very kind and helpful replies.
    I have now clear the priority.
    At present I am in the process of changing home so the most important factor the final listening environment is not decided yet.
    Your words confirm that this could be the most limiting factor for a good reproduction of music
    I see that for instance in recording studios a lot of money is destinated to the listenig room acoustical treatments
    I am afraid I have to resize my expectations ... unfortunately.
    It will be very difficult to get a good dedicated listening room.
    By the way I will try to get better speakers, at least

Thank you very much again
    Kind regards,
    gino

Thread Information