Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Recommended Enclosure for a 2240H as HT Sub?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16

    Recommended Enclosure for a 2240H as HT Sub?

    Went ahead and picked up a 2240 to get started- not too expensive and I know it can be later re-coned to a 2245 should I require something that goes lower. I like the Idea that the 2240 may be punchier and more dynamic- and do not see the need to go below 30hz and there is room loading to consider and we have a lot of glass windows/doors here...

    Room size is roughly 22' x 16'. Main viewing/listening couch will be about center- 11'-12' from the screen.

    Sub could go in front or behind of couch- probably a rear placement would have more room/out of the way.

    I understand a ported 8 cu.ft. enclosure with a 6" port diameter is a good place to start.

    Was also wondering if it makes sense to have the port down facing to load the floor? Would this room size really require two subs?

    Any thoughts would be most welcome.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jättendal (Giant Valley), Sweden
    Posts
    750
    Frequency range of the sub? Maximum size of the cabinet?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,496
    You can build a 10cft out of a sheet of 4'x8' and add reinforcement with extra wood. That's roughly 24"x24"'x36"

    I suggest you do your own test using a simulator. Move the Fs around until you get the curve you like.

    You can tune the cabinet to 30Hz for low bass, or 34-40Hz for more audible bass ;-)

    If your cabinet is 12" off the floor, sure you can postion the port downward, but honestly, there's no point. ;-)

    Lee

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    You can build a 10cft out of a sheet of 4'x8' and add reinforcement with extra wood. That's roughly 24"x24"'x36"

    I suggest you do your own test using a simulator. Move the Fs around until you get the curve you like.

    You can tune the cabinet to 30Hz for low bass, or 34-40Hz for more audible bass ;-)

    If your cabinet is 12" off the floor, sure you can postion the port downward, but honestly, there's no point. ;-)

    Lee

    I am inclined to a tuning compromise like 35hz- but I will await measurements based on the new HT speakers/placement.
    Thanks Lee!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,496
    10cft - Fs35Hz - 2 x 6" ports - 6" long
    10cft - Fs35Hz - 1 x 6" port - 1.8" long

    10cft - Fs30Hz - 2 x 6" ports - 12.5" long
    10cft - Fs30Hz - 1 x 6" port - 4" long

    You can confirm with a different software.

    If tuning to 35Hz, then cone gets unloaded under that frequency, but you get more content above 35Hz.
    Or you can tune to 30Hz to keep cone control in check, and slightly boost 35Hz region w/ eq

    Personally I would tune the cabinet to the driver's Fs (30Hz) and boost 35Hz if necessary.

    Lee

  6. #6
    Senior Member spkrman57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,982

    I prefer lower/safer tuning option

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    10cft - Fs35Hz - 2 x 6" ports - 6" long
    10cft - Fs35Hz - 1 x 6" port - 1.8" long

    10cft - Fs30Hz - 2 x 6" ports - 12.5" long
    10cft - Fs30Hz - 1 x 6" port - 4" long

    You can confirm with a different software.

    If tuning to 35Hz, then cone gets unloaded under that frequency, but you get more content above 35Hz.
    Or you can tune to 30Hz to keep cone control in check, and slightly boost 35Hz region w/ eq

    Personally I would tune the cabinet to the driver's Fs (30Hz) and boost 35Hz if necessary.

    Lee
    You won't lose much doing the lower tuning and the 2240 will be happier. Now if you had 2242s!!!!!!!

    Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    You won't lose much doing the lower tuning and the 2240 will be happier. Now if you had 2242s!!!!!!!

    Ron
    Ah, ah, ah. I think it is time we give the 2240 the recognition it deserves ;-)

    Lee

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jättendal (Giant Valley), Sweden
    Posts
    750
    The room will affect how the sub sounds. So read up on room gain. diyaudio.com has a lot or information.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Val's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    277
    I went with 12 cubic feet for my 2245H. I love it.

    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Woofer-Project

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Everest enclosure volums vs professional enclosure guide volume
    By rab in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-15-2015, 12:50 PM
  2. Recommended mid and tweeter
    By Loren42 in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 11:17 AM
  3. JBL 4410 Recommended Amp
    By bekman in forum Professional Amps
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 07:46 AM
  4. 4645C recommended EQ??
    By Guido in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 10:25 AM
  5. Recommended Equalizers
    By DMMD in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 05:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •