Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another L300 Theater

veneer

Was going to veneer these myself and was reading an article that said in a lot of instances with smaill chips its just easier to veneer right over the top of the existing.

Travis, take a look at macaroonie's thread "Backyard Box build, The Build" in the DIY section, Im on my way out & dont have time to link it (that thread should probably have been made into a sticky ).
    The veneer section will be of particular interest to you, I refer to it quite a bit.

Later!

E D I T:
    Found it, "BACKYARD BOX BUILDING - THE BUILD" along with Richluvsound's relevant thread, lots of good reading in there, enjoy.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=17238

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=24773
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Like your set up Doc, very nice!
    Morning, Krunchy,

Many thanks! I lusted after a pair of L300's from the first time that I heard them, back in the "starving musician" days, and it's with great satisfaction that Sweet Bride and I own a lovely pair of them today. Ours have 2235H's in them, and we think they are the cat's pajamas! Since I took that photo, I've removed the 4411's, and will be using them someplace else in the house, and we have a 4645 (w/2242H) ready to be added in, for movies and DVD's, when I get time to suss out a hum in our system. But, the L300's remain a much-loved set of speakers, for us, and we hope to never have to part with them! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. the electronics are, mostly, from Harman Kardon....older stuff, but not too much older!
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

when I get time to suss out a hum in our system

Doc,
    Check out this from PS Audio:

http://dealers.psaudio.com/account/humbusters.asp

Hey, TD,

Thanks, very much! That's, basically, what Bo told me to do, but I haven't had time to get behind the cabinet, label all the connections, unplug everything, and start to suss it out. I really appreciate your suggestion, and as it backs up what Bo said to do, I'm sure that, once I get the time to do as recommended, I'll definitely find the problem gear. I'll post a report, as soon as I have something to share, either positive, or negative news. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I have a top end Onkyo 7.1 receiver and I do not like it. Aside from being hard to balance the system, it produces enough heat to keep the entire room toastie warm during cold nights and hot as hell in the summer. In addition, it is not conservatively rated in terms of power IMO.

I think a Denon receiver would be a better choice (I have two).

Did I mention the intermitant loud popping noise with big Onkyo receivers? Apparently, it is a widely known defect that is annoying as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Did I mention the intermittent loud popping noise with big Onkyo receivers? Apparently, it is a widely known defect that is annoying as hell.
    Annoying? Hell, that kinda noise would get it sold or tossed from here!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    There are some things a pig just won't do and Oinkyo is one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    There are some things a pig just won't do and Oinkyo is one of them...
    Is there a lipstick reference in there somewhere?

Widget

onkyo

Glad I mentioned the onkyo..........the pioneer has been awesome but its old,like me but the l3's are part of my HT so its going to be a search for a surround under 2000.00. I'm supposed to pick up the grills in another week and the we'll pull the drivers and send them off to be redone. Also we're going skiing Dec. 4th and xmas is coming so I can only spend a little at a time.The pioneer HT will stay till it fails completely more than likely.

onkyo

I thought onkyo had a good pr886 preamp / processor. You can get it for about 1500.00 now. They have the next gen coming soo... 5507 or something like that with prologic IIz preamps, all balanced line outs

Onkyo pro preamps are nice, but no built in amps so if you have 7.1 you will need a sloth of amplifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Progneta View Post
    Onkyo pro preamps are nice, but no built in amps so if you have 7.1 you will need a sloth of amplifiers.
    They are nice... essentially the same as the Integra Processors. I have the Integra DTC 9.8 which is now two generations back, but it sounds essentially the same as the current model. For HT you probably don't need anything better, in fact Kal Rubinson of Stereophile's Music in the Round, uses one in his "lesser" system and generally is full of praise for it.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    They are nice... essentially the same as the Integra Processors. I have the Integra DTC 9.8 which is now two generations back, but it sounds essentially the same as the current model. For HT you probably don't need anything better, in fact Kal Rubinson of Stereophile's Music in the Round, uses one in his "lesser" system and generally is full of praise for it.

Widget

I have never heard the amplifiers in Oknyo units. I used to use the amplifiers for my 604's from a yamaha rx-v663 and it sounded decent for an all in one box. I now use the 663 as my preamp/processor for 7.1 and take the preouts to several crown and McIntosh amps...that sounds good!

One of these days Ill upgrade to a 7.1 preamp / processor...one day

If you are thinking about a "higher end" surround receiver, I would recommend Denon's AVR-5308Cl. It is rated at 150W x 7 and has a very clean preamp. It has stereo sub line outs that I feed into a dedicated amp connected to the 2235s in my setup.

The next best thing, IMO, are the top-line Marantz AV units, utilizing a separate preamp and power amp.

Good luck!

Thread Information