Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another L300 Theater

JBL 4645
    Is this taking the piss or what? I mean look at those poor JBL all banged up! Dust caps dented in the sides looked like dog had been chewing on them. I mean this is brutal JBL abuse.

You're right, I should be severely punished........

Hey, Travis,

No, you should be commended, for trying to resurrect those old L300's from a fate worse than death!! But, promise us one thing, please? No more renting them out as DJ fodder!! These lovely speakers deserve a better fate than that, Lad!! Give them a loving home, once they are restored, and take ultra-fine care of them, and they will offer you a lot of pride and pleasure in the years to come!! However, IF you are going to keep using them in an industrial situation, which is your choice to make, of course, then forget about making them nice and just use them as they are. My two cents, and your mileage may well vary.... But, "severely punished"? No way! Good luck on your L300's project, and as the movie dialogue says, "You must choose wisely"!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by travis5049 View Post
    You're right, I should be severely punished........
    That's OK, man. Once you have restored these to their original glory you will have something truly special. At least you have enough left to bring them back.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

I rent my DJ speakers these days..can't beat 27.00 for a weekend to beat up someone elses equipment.

picked up some 4312a's this weekend in awsome condition ...........picking them up tommorow

I've been away for a time, but thought I'd drop in.....can't think of a better thread to drop in on...an L300 resurrection thread. Good to see everyone, Doc Marc your setup looks great, I'm sure you're loving your L300's. I still wish I had the room (and dollars) to set up yet another system that would include a nice pair of L300's.

Best to everyone....Travis good luck on your project, you've got a job ahead that will be a challenge, but as some have already said, it wll be well worth it. I'll watch with interest and hope you'll chronicle your project with lots of photos.

Best to all,

Pete
    L220A's w/B460; 4313B's w/2241-based Sub; 4401's w/JL Audio E112

Quote Originally Posted by pmakres1 View Post
    I've been away for a time, but thought I'd drop in.....can't think of a better thread to drop in on...an L300 resurrection thread. Good to see everyone, Doc Marc your setup looks great, I'm sure you're loving your L300's. I still wish I had the room (and dollars) to set up yet another system that would include a nice pair of L300's.

Best to everyone....Travis good luck on your project, you've got a job ahead that will be a challenge, but as some have already said, it wll be well worth it. I'll watch with interest and hope you'll chronicle your project with lots of photos.

Best to all,

Pete
    Morning, Pete,

It's great to see you here again, and thanks for jumping in on this L300 thread! Yes, we're still in deep lust with our L300's, and on this day of Thanksgiving, are thankful that those wonderful JBL's came our way! But, Pete, your JBL system is outstanding, too, and I've always thought that your 220's and B460 + you Mac goodies, made for a fantastic combination! Again, glad to see you here at LH, once again, and all the best this Thanksgiving Day! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Morning, Pete,

It's great to see you here again, and thanks for jumping in on this L300 thread! Yes, we're still in deep lust with our L300's, and on this day of Thanksgiving, are thankful that those wonderful JBL's came our way! But, Pete, your JBL system is outstanding, too, and I've always thought that your 220's and B460 + you Mac goodies, made for a fantastic combination! Again, glad to see you here at LH, once again, and all the best this Thanksgiving Day! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Thanks Doc...and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! Yes, I love my L220/B460 combo teamed up with my Macs....but I can't help but to still lust for the legendary JBL models, and the L300 certainly falls in that category. I will long for a pair of those until the day arrives that I somehow acquire a pair! I'm not so sure they would be what I'd want for my present main system, I've been accustomed to a tower design in that system for so long...what I dream of is somehow buying the villa adjacent to my present home and setting up a few more systems there! (dream on Pete...) I've also been long fascinated with idea of what a pair of L250's or 250Ti's would look like and sound like in my main system. But then, what to do with my beloved L220's that I've owned for over 27 years? It's tough when you have a company like JBL who has come up with so many superb models.

For now, I am still very grateful for the gear I presently own. Hope you're having a great Thanksgiving, keep in touch ad God bless!

Pete
    L220A's w/B460; 4313B's w/2241-based Sub; 4401's w/JL Audio E112

project

Going to get started on this right after we get back from skiing this weekend. I replaced the l300's that I had in the LF and RF position on my HT setup with some really nice 4312a's. Yes I had to turn the tweeters down...............too bright! But they are wonderful! I'll take some pics of everything as I start taking the l300's apart. The grills are being built in dallas and should be ready this month.

The plan that I have lined out is to build a subwoofer cabinet out of mdf and veneer it to give me some practice. I have 2 cerwin vega 12" drivers one of which is going in this sub box. Down firing woofer with front port. All the veneer between the 4312's the l300's and the sub will be the same which should look great. Passive sub, I have a peavey CS800 that's going to drive it. I got the box volume and port measurement's from Cerwin Vega. The l300 driver's are going to the shop at the time that I'm building this box, and the boards to replace the capacitors.

The sad part is after the l300 project is completed the 4312's will be moved to the rear surround positions.

More in a week..............

Thread Information