Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another L300 Theater

Red face Another L300 Theater

Hope I added these photos right...........These are l300's that are now doing duty as my front channels on my home theater. That's a 65" Mitsubishi HD in the middle. The surround back left and right are old Bose alpha a2's I think they made these before there were 501's. A friend was throwing them out ( he didn't know you could recone them), Behind the Screen is a 501 that I use for a center channel that I picked up at a pawn shop. I have it positioned at the bottom of the TV stand an just turn the center channel up a bit. The whole shooting match is driven by a pioneer 7.1 surround that maxes out at about 90watts a channel. Its 10 years old and last year started giving me issues when I really crank on it....powers itself down. Nice base all around, I am going to add a JBL powered sub this year though. Reconditioning the l300's is my next project new veneer and bases, I've already ordered the grills.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Hey, Travis,

Thanks for sharing your setup with us. What do you have in those L300's for woofers? Those appear to be sound reinforcement woofers, instead of the ones that belong in there. I'd like to hear more about your JBL's, if you'd care to share that info. Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Dco (who's off to church!)
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

l300's

The guy who re coned these in Houston some years ago didn't have the proper re coning kit and used what you see. I used these for years doing mobile DJ work not knowing what I had so they got a bit beat up. We moved to New Braunfels about 10 years ago from the Houston area and I acquired the Bose speakers that I use for the surrounds. Took the Bose woofers to Austin reconing and knowing that I had the wrong kit on my JBL's inquired if he had any experience reconing the L300's. His eyes opened wide and he asked if I would sell them. I said no, we chatted for hours and at the time there was a pair on ebay with a bid of around 4800.00 that he said I should check out. Thats when I started studying.......... I work as a network security consultant now but still DJ partys for fun,( rent my speakers), had the Peavey rebuilt and now have a Behringer BCD3000 mixing board to replace the old analog turntable mixer.

We filled an amphitheater with 600 people and rattled the windows with a 110 watt amp,DJ'ing a NASA party right after a succesful Shuttle landing one year back in the 90's........thats when I thought that these might be special. Later I bought a peavey cs800 amp and watched these speakers try to walk off the harwood floor stage while clipping the Amp at another NASA party.

All the partys took there toll on the MDF bases and my grandfather who had a wood working shop helped me glue on pine bases. He's gone now but thats a great memory of us spending time together.

I have my grandmother and grandfathers Maple hutch and matching leaf dining table that I'm going to start work on right after I finish reconditioning the L300's.

The tech in Austin said that I should update the circuit boards with some new capacitors? The conversation was several months ago and I may be misquoting him. But in any case he said that he'd be glad to recone these with the proper kit and update the circuits. What model drivers should be in these? He said that we could recone these and upgrade the boards and had better mounting pins for the grills for around 500.00 US, a speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by travis5049 View Post
    What model drivers should be in these?
    Before you go any further, I'd suggest pulling the woofers and seeing what the baskets are, or were before they were re-coned. There should be a label on the magnet structure. That's where I'd start, then you'll have a better idea of what your options are. :dont-know
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Travis,

I agree with BMWCC, completely. You need to know where you're starting from, before you can do anything, at all. Then, once you have a good idea what, exactly, you have, you can proceed in the right direction, and do the right things, without wasting time and money, neither of which we all have in surplus, these days! Let us know what your woofer baskets are, and also what horn drivers are behind the horns, and we can go from where, with some proper advice for you. You have a huge job ahead of you, refurbishing those old L300's, as they've seen some hard roads and been put away wet, a time or ten. But, never fear, the basics are there, and with lots of work and sweat equity, plus some wisely spent coin, they can function and look like new! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (Who loves his own L300's!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I suspect the time for reconing the woofers with factory kits is running very low since JBL has decided not to continue making lagacy recone/diaphragm kits.

While your at it, you should pull the covers from the compression drivers and slots to see if your dealing with factory frams.

Look like they are E140 cones.

Also you need to get the lens for the horns.
    Let us know what you find on the inside>

Like your set up Doc, very nice!
    Just Play Music.

inside

drivers say model 136a........you guys piqued my curiosity

drivers say model 136a........you guys piqued my curiosity
    That's a good starting point, but I agree with jcrobso, I think they are very likely K140 or E140 cones in the 136A baskets. The proper recone kits are no longer made, they have been superseded by an improved version. I would recommend you have these woofers remagnetized and reconed with 2235H cone kits. It will cost you around $500 for the pair, but you'll be glad you did.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I would recommend you have these woofers remagnetized and reconed with 2235H cone kits. It will cost you around $500 for the pair, but you'll be glad you did.Widget
    Thats probably an understatement on Mr. Widgets behalf Travis. I actually like the fact that they are well worn, achieving that kind of a "Patina" takes time
    Five Hundred might seem like a lot but you'll get huge dividends for sure. Have fun & post some pictures if & when you get them back (you'll be thinking about this tonight in your sleep me thinks)
    Just Play Music.

austin reoning

The guy in Austin quoted me a ballpark figure of around 500-600 each..........really can't wait to hear them when I get them right again. A new onkyo surround amp is about to replace the old pioneer. Remagnatized?

lenses

I have the lenses also, but one is partially broken going to try and order the wood ones that I saw on this site in a previous forum and the grills are being put together now. Should i just cover over the existing veneer? I'll take some side shots and show you guys.............there just chipped on the edges

The guy in Austin quoted me a ballpark figure of around 500-600 each..........
    You may want to shop around...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    It will cost you around $500 for the pair, but you'll be glad you did.Widget
    Should i just cover over the existing veneer? I'll take some side shots and show you guys.............there just chipped on the edges
    You mean put new veneer over the existing???

There are many extremely knowledgable woodworkers/cabinet craftsmen here & I am sure they will be happy to give you some suggestions. Will you be doing the work yourself or sending it out, it is quite the undertaking especially with the rounded edgest but the L300s are certainly worth it.
    Just Play Music.

A new onkyo surround amp is about to replace the old pioneer.
    I am extremely familiar with those, they are an excellent choice for a HT system on a budget, but if you are after a two channel rig, I highly recommend you avoid all surround receivers.

Remagnatized?
    Absolutely!

Your L300s came with alnico 136As. Even though the cones have been changed, the motor structures are original.

Read this: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?p=37039

Widget

Thread Information