Thread: 4612B, 2-channel stereo possibilities?

4612B, 2-channel stereo possibilities?

There are a pair of JBL 4612B's available locally here. I emailed and have not received a response as of yet.

I looked them up and they were marketed as a "small sound reinforcment" system. 2-10" woofers and a small butt cheek tweeter per cabinet. The cabinets are of the PA varity with handles and the works. Can a guy do anything with these sonically or are they strictly a PA loudspeaker?

Thanks
    RC

Actually, they contain two 8" woofers (2118J).

The 4612 is a very nice sounding speaker, for something meant as a small inexpensive PA unit. With some crossover finagling, you could probably get some very nice results from it. Mind you, it sounds pretty darn good in stock form... but the factory crossover is made for two goals: (1) high efficiency, and (2) protecting the drivers (especially the 2404H tweeters) from blow-up.

If you were to use these in a home environment, there could probably be some frequency shaping done in the crossover... this might result in a slight loss of outright efficiency, but it could "smooth out" the mids just a bit...

Overall, they're worth checking out, especially if they're available cheap (ie, $150 or less for a pair, would be a really good deal)...

Regards,
    Gordon.

4612B was also available in a simulated wood cabinet, with a slightly modified crossover and no HF control. Any of them are very good stock, as Gordon says, but require a subwoofer for hi-fi or home theater use.

The 2404 in them is the H-1 version using the 2402 diaphragm. If you want more "sizzle" in the extreme highs, replace with 2405 diaphragm as advised in the tech manual.

They are currently selling around $300 a pair, or a little more. I got a mint pair of the Cabaret version for that recently here locally. They're also great little party speakers.

Thanks for the info guy's!

The seller contacted me late yesterday and said that someone offered $250 and would pick them up Sunday. If i was interested, he would sell to me prior to that for $225 (He was originally asking $175.00)

It's tempting for sure.

RC

They are great speakers! I've used them in my shop and they were outstanding.....shocked the crap out of me. Their little brothers are the 8612s and they are the most phenomenal small speaker! I'd go for it but I would be mad as hell at his tatics.....offer him $200. If they are in good shape and the cabinets are sound and unmolested it's a good deal either way.

clmrt
    This guy sellin' listed on CL - $275 for 4628's and $175 for the 4612's - I emailed on the 4628's, and he shot back that the offers are now over $500, PLUS he has them listed on Ebay.

Crooked - offer, taker, done I say.

Agreed, I dont fault the guy for going with his best offer but this one smells like he is baiting. Too bad though, I would have taken the plunge for $175.00.

RC

I`ve got a pair of these 4612B now and are planning to build new cabinets for them so they can blend in, in my living room. Got a spare 2404H-1 so might build a center channel speaker as well. Do the 4612 OK model crossover have a higher crossover frequenzy? The stock B model are a bit "in your face" when it comes to higher frequenzies, have to turn the l-pad over half way down. Also which driver should I choose for a subwoofer(s)? I think a 12" would be more than enough, could go for 10" also if the price is right.

The specs for the 4612, 4612B, and 4612OK are all here

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/obsolete.htm

The OK are towards the bottom under "Utility Systems", while the others are under "Cabaret Series".

They all show 3Khz as the crossover.

Schematics for both the 4612 and 4612OK crossovers are here

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigat...chematics.html

Thread Information