Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garage insulation

Garage insulation

Hello I'm in the process of insulating my garage so the neighbors cant here the tunes its a steel building and it gets loud outside. does anybody know what insulation would work better to keep the music inside.me and my buds have pool night every Friday. Name:  craigs list 001.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  111.6 KB

Steel buildings usually have rolls of fiberglass insulation with a plastic face, as opposed to kraft paper face batts used in homes.

No matter what insulation you use, looks like you'll have a lot of stuff to move first.

Nice game room.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Sound reduction

You might want to grab a copy of A. Everest's book "Building a studio on a budget". (www.partsexpress.com) What it all boils down too is MASS and making things air tight. High Mass is your friend.

Cyclotronguy

Hi,

- "Roxul" makes a few grades of mineral wool that has both fire retardent & sound insulating qualities . The thicker / the better .

- Apart from that , a bit of fact-finding is in order to get ones expectations in line with the $$ of expenditures vs the results .
    - ie; Fully stopping sound transmisson is no small feat ( when it comes to bass frequencies ) .
    - One needs to study the graphs to understand the relationship between a materials' thickness ( &/or density ) to reducing LF transmission through absorbtion methods .

- Here's a direct link to P-E(s)' sale page for :

I don't have the (above) book , so I can't comment on it much except to say that the author is a leading authority on the subject of acoustics .

I have this ( A. Everests' ) tome ( 615 pages ) on acoustics called ;

- It's likely way more info than the op wants or actually needs .

>< cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi,

- "Roxul" makes a few grades of mineral wool that has both fire retardent & sound insulating qualities . The thicker / the better .

- Apart from that , a bit of fact-finding is in order to get ones expectations in line with the $$ of expenditures vs the results .
    - ie; Fully stopping sound transmisson is no small feat ( when it comes to bass frequencies ) .
    - One needs to study the graphs to understand the relationship between a materials' thickness ( &/or density ) to reducing LF transmission through absorbtion methods .

What he said!

Also, the recycled cotton denim insulation is also better than fiberglass.

As Cyclotron guy said... MASS. Fiberglass has very little. It will help, but cotton or the Roxul products will do better.

Widget

What about the spray on foam insulation? I've seen several steel buildings with the walls so insulated. Can probably be layered on as thick as wanted/required. Probably easiest to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    What about the spray on foam insulation? I've seen several steel buildings with the walls so insulated. Can probably be layered on as thick as wanted/required. Probably easiest to apply.
    As long as they get the mix right - some of those foams are notorious for formaldehyde out-gassing and making the building toxic. Potential fire hazard for some, unless you cover it with sheetrock. And gypsum board can be troublesome right now, depending on country of origin.
    Roll product is generally much safer for the casual user.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hey, ya gotta die from something!

OK, alternatively I'd use the thickest, dense-ist (sp?), sheet foam insulation board I could buy and then hang or apply thick carpet* over it.

*Better, soundproofing foam sheets ("egg crate" or wedge design) but possibly more expensive.

theatre walls

I recently went to an IMAX movie, and went to look at their walls and construction after everyone had left. They're using 4 to 5" of what lloks like Owens Corning pink Fiberglas, with a cloth curtain over it. This was mounted directly over plain old wallboard, with a pleated curtain over the top.
    Everything in black.

Speakers? they had it going on there> all JBL pro.
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Yup, fiberglas ins. and carpet curtain - about as inexpensive (we won't say the "C" word) as you can go.

So, Loud Mouth, what have you decided to go with? We're all waiting to hear.

Roxul

I used Roxul for the sound absorbing qualities in my A7's. After further examination, it would seem Roxul is the brand name for what we used to call Rock Wool. Both are mineral based products. Both absorb sound better than fiberglass.

When I insulate the sound room in my new house I will use one of these. Price will be the determining factor. I have also heard a curtain with rubber backing against the wall is great for preventing reflected sound.

I used Celotex 4x8 panels in a previous installation. It did not work as well as I had hoped. It was also prone to dents. It was very soft. It is no longer available in 4X8 sheets.

I am considering making 4X8 panels using 2X4 Roxul batts placed around the room. I can move them around for the best effect. We'll see how it goes...

Reducing sound transmission

[quote=Earl K;268155]Hi,
    [Quote -/]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    An excellent example of Earl K's requirements: __ For the RCA Prniceton Laboratories Anechoic Chamber, in the early 1930's__ Dr. Harry Olson chose the only suitable sound absorbant of that time__ an elegant "rug padding materiaL, trade-marked as "OZITE" with a very high "NRC", Noise Reduction Coeficient, provided from a "wool and cow's hair" composite, a very clean, long-life material.

All six surfaces of Dr, Olson's Anechoic Chamber were eight feet in thickness, The chamber was equipped with a steel grating suspended work foor. In all cases, Ozite sheeting was suspended verticaly by its the top edge along its full length away from each wall and down from the ceiling. In the chamber bottom, substantially below the steel work floor, the Ozite sheeting was suspended from the steel work floor.

On all six chamber surfaces, All Ozite sheets were spaced approxamately one & one half inches apart with alternating sheet lengths of five feet and eight Feet awayfrom the chamber surfaces.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cheers, herki the cat
    Last edited by herki the cat; 11-13-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Touch ups

Clear everything out of that cluttered garage and spray with cellulose. Will give you better climate insulation and sound deadening.

Quote Originally Posted by this sites' search engine

"loud mouth"

Last Activity: 10-26-2009 02:35 PM
    Really,,,, I don't think the "op" has too much interest in the thread that he started / but carry on .
    <>

Thread Information