Thread: JBL S1S-Ex / 4645c

JBL S1S-Ex / 4645c

Hello,

I am on the look for a new subwoofer for my system and have come across the JBL 4645c. As I understand it, it is excactly the same sub as S1S-Ex just for one third of the price.

Does anyone in here have experience with the sub? I have only heard it in cinemas (where I think it was excellent) but never in a home enviroment.

I have noticed that the -3db rollof point begins at 35hz which is quite high. Of course some EQ would make up for this, but still it doesnt seem like there there is much to get below 20hz. Would this be a problem for movie reproduction? When I see subs like SVS, Earthquake sound etc, they all extend down to 15hz.

What I like in a good subwoofer is its ability to be transparent and when needed to, give that "stomach-punch".

Hope to hear from you guys.

It's an often asked question .

See this thread for some fairly recent observations .

If you can use this sites' built in search engine / try searching for the word "4645c" / the results will display more threads on the same topic .

Another good search-word is 2242H ( this is the model # of the 18" woofer found in the 4645C )

>< cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    It's an often asked question .

See this thread for some fairly recent observations .

If you can use this sites' built in search engine / try searching for the word "4645c" / the results will show more threads on the same topic .

>< cheers
    I'm not asking about the 4645c vs. S1S-ex - sorry if I didn't formulate my post clearly enough. I am asking for information about 4645c/S1S performance versus the big brands like SVS, Earthquake, Velodyne etc.

But i'll try and use the search engine to see if I can find more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h
    snip,,,,,,,I am asking for information about 4645c/S1S performance versus the big brands like SVS, Earthquake, Velodyne etc.
    Ahhh,, okay .

Mr. Widget ( an Adminstrator here ) has expressed some useful opinions in this very area ( though I think he prefers smaller subs than the 4645C ) .

Include his name in a search ( as the poster ) & perhaps "Velodyne" instead of 4645C / to see what pops up .

FWIW, the 2242H is an incredibly robust transducer . There aren't many woofers that can survive the practice ( abuse maybe ) of being tuned below their Fs point ( free air resonance ) . This is due to its' incorporation of a very thick top-plate / which encourages very linear control over the cone assembly ( you can see I think very highly of the 2242H ) .

>< cheers

JBL 4645
    I noticed this thread has topic on the JBL S1S

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=10210

I have auditioned the SVS-PB12/2+ and the newer one with the 13" woofer.

Both sounded slow and slugish. Very deep, loud bass, but no controll or texture whatsoever.

I have not listenede to a JBL 18" sub, but on paper they look incredible.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I have auditioned the SVS-PB12/2+ and the newer one with the 13" woofer.

Both sounded slow and slugish. Very deep, loud bass, but no controll or texture whatsoever.

I have not listenede to a JBL 18" sub, but on paper they look incredible.

-Tim
    You'll be glad to know it's even better in the real world.

There are a lot of really good subs out there, including some SVS, Velodyne, and Hsu, which are great bang for the buck. Then there are some premium subs like Bag End, Revel, etc., that give a lot of bang and demand a lot of bucks.

At $2000 retail (a lot less on the street) unamplified, the S1S-EX is a huge bargain in my book. The 2242HPL is everything I've longed for in a sub: unbelievably powerful, very well controlled, amazingly fast and articulate, and just plain stoopid in its range.

I was in the ToddAO mixing suites on Sunday where they had JBL dual 15" fronts with horns, supported by Bag End 18" subs. I would throw a comparable number of S1S-EXs against them any day. I walked out on top of the world knowing I hadn't spent that kind of coin on really good subs like the Bag Ends when the JBLs do more for less.

I have not heard a 4645C with the 2242H in it, so I can't comment from experience. However, I don't know if JBL is making a distinction by deliberately calling one driver a 2242HPL and the other a 2242H. :dont-know

I can say that with a smaller enclosure than a 4645C and three ports, the S1S-EX does not chuff at any volume and it pushes out a heck of a lot of air.
    Out.

...a distinction by deliberately calling one driver a 2242HPL and the other a 2242H. :dont-know
    I have both drivers. FWIW, they are the same other than:

Foilcal (org/blk on silver -H, blk on silver -HPL)

Magnet cover/donut (none on HPL).

I don't "feel" the need to drag over two old tri-port 4645's for a shoot out
    (esp, since they'd have to be re-DAC-calibrated in-system for a fair comparo)...
    + they'd look funny strapped to the roof of my car.

you could alwasy hook them up to your car stereo. Scare the living daylight out of your neighbours.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I have both drivers. FWIW, they are the same other than:

Foilcal (org/blk on silver -H, blk on silver -HPL)

Magnet cover/donut (none on HPL).

I don't "feel" the need to drag over two old tri-port 4645's for a shoot out
    (esp, since they'd have to be re-DAC-calibrated in-system for a fair comparo)...
    + they'd look funny strapped to the roof of my car.
    Morning, Grumpy,

Did you re-port your 4645, or leave it as originally ported, when using the 2242H woofers? If you left it as originally designed, what else did you do to get the performance you were seeking from the 2242H's? I got side-tracked in my own experiments, when a very nasty hum popped into our system, after hooking up the Ashly 4001 crossover, Crown DC-300A amp, and subwoofer! I did note, after I removed all the sub stuff, that the hum is still there, though at a very low level. So, I'm sure that Bo was right when he suggested that it might very well be my preamp setup. Until I have time to spend a few hours tracking it down, though, I've left the subwoofer in the corner, not used. I'd very much like to hear what you've done in getting your own 4645's up and running as you would like, please! Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    You'll be glad to know it's even better in the real world.

There are a lot of really good subs out there, including some SVS, Velodyne, and Hsu, which are great bang for the buck. Then there are some premium subs like Bag End, Revel, etc., that give a lot of bang and demand a lot of bucks.

At $2000 retail (a lot less on the street) unamplified, the S1S-EX is a huge bargain in my book. The 2242HPL is everything I've longed for in a sub: unbelievably powerful, very well controlled, amazingly fast and articulate, and just plain stoopid in its range.

I was in the ToddAO mixing suites on Sunday where they had JBL dual 15" fronts with horns, supported by Bag End 18" subs. I would throw a comparable number of S1S-EXs against them any day. I walked out on top of the world knowing I hadn't spent that kind of coin on really good subs like the Bag Ends when the JBLs do more for less.

I have not heard a 4645C with the 2242H in it, so I can't comment from experience. However, I don't know if JBL is making a distinction by deliberately calling one driver a 2242HPL and the other a 2242H. :dont-know

I can say that with a smaller enclosure than a 4645C and three ports, the S1S-EX does not chuff at any volume and it pushes out a heck of a lot of air.
    Well save up FAST! and get your hide over this side of the pond for 2012 this November 13th I’m heading up on Saturday 14th as 13th is Friday lol at the Empire and sit front and centre row, you’ll know what the 4645C sounds like when the jump up at you, and kick you in the chest, rumble the floor.

Got any pictures of the Todd-AO theatre?

Did you re-port your 4645, or...
    I'll tell you when I regain some space. We have gone through ..uh.. a room
    occupancy rearrangement. ALL of my cabinet-ized, non-pro systems are
    currently in the living room (hopefully, very temporarily)... should take a
    group picture to make some good of it

Hey, Grumpy,

Yeah!! I "group photo" of your big JBL stuff would be outstanding! Please, please, please, pretty please??!!??!! Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who finally had to move the 4333 cabinets down into the Hobbit Hole, as the sub now lives where they did, in the living room...)
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information